Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Did Detroit Start Getting Car Audio Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell her to check her Fletcher Munson Curve (Loudness Contour)? I love that MP3 is a Hot Rod format. A group of engineers working on VIDEO compression for Phillips spun it off on a lark through the Fraunhofer Society and gave it away for free.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      I like good music with quality sound....it used to be a Pioneer Super Tuner with better quality speakers in factory locations....never got into the whole thing of subs and amps.... figured that it my rear view mirror shook from the sound, that was a bit much....my only disappointment is that there isn't a single R&B station in the area....
      In Los Angeles we have no Hard Rock Stations, go figure... R&B, kinda, oldies R&B and Rap of course. Then we have MULTIPLE Jazz and Easy Listening. F*** Youth!

Comment

I used to have custom systems in my cars, at least a few hundred watts. Top of the line receivers, amps, crossovers and really good speakers. I wasn't happy unless the rear view mirror was a blur from the 12 inch Pyle Drivers pounding out the bass. Now at 54 my ears have either grown up or given up after years of loud music. I have SiriusXM and it's either 60's on 6 or 70's on 7 and that music doesn't need to be played a 150 decibles. . . . Now where'd I put my fuzzy dice?
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

In Los Angeles we have no Hard Rock Stations, go figure... R&B, kinda, oldies R&B and Rap of course. Then we have MULTIPLE Jazz and Easy Listening. F*** Youth!
          That wasn't the case 25 years ago when I wintered in that undeveloped area between Oceanslime and San Clemente. Wake up with the roosters, crank some grunge or industrial metal, and go for a 10 mile run. Where I'm at now is what I call musically constipated. It's the same classic rock on two stations the same as it was 25-30 years ago. I'm sure we get whatever new pop is but nothing outside that genre.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Tell her to check her Fletcher Munson Curve (Loudness Contour)? I love that MP3 is a Hot Rod format. A group of engineers working on VIDEO compression for Phillips spun it off on a lark through the Fraunhofer Society and gave it away for free.

we had 2 for a few months in Seattle, just one now. That said, I pay for Sat radio (which, again, is compressed)

for stuff I listen to - most is at least 10 years old. There are a few that I like now, Bad Wolves, FFDP (and a bunch of Christian groups like Skillet and Thousand Foot Crutch) but even their stuff has a 3 or 4 year cycle before anything 'new' happens - and even 'new' is the same repetitive crap.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This week I'm sidelining my Apple Music for the debut of the new YouTube Music. I get it because I pay for ad-free YouTube. So far it looks like they are trying to do it all with playlists. Sucky. Slacker has a New Rock Station, but it got too repetitive. The quest continues.

Comment

This week I'm sidelining my Apple Music for the debut of the new YouTube Music. I get it because I pay for ad-free YouTube. So far it looks like they are trying to do it all with playlists. Sucky. Slacker has a New Rock Station, but it got too repetitive. The quest continues.
                I tend to buy the album off Amazon, that gives me free MP3s off those records, it's nice because I have access to them anywhere. Any other album I own, I can load onto my computer, Amazon recognizes my license and allows me to MP3 all of those as well from anywhere as well.

That's the thing about new cars - I'm not sure any come with a CD player anymore, it's MP3, sat, or bluetooth.... which, from their perspective is better because no one will notice the crappy music coming from their crappy speakers.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  When you tell a woman to calm down or shut up; they never do.... weird, no?
                  Whenever the need arises to do so, it is usually too late for any advice to be headed.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Whenever the need arises to do so, it is usually too late for any advice to be headed.
                    That's when you need to stare at the TV and say, "Honey, bring me a beer before it starts." And when it starts you just say, "Oh crap, it's started."
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I tend to buy the album off Amazon, that gives me free MP3s off those records, it's nice because I have access to them anywhere. Any other album I own, I can load onto my computer, Amazon recognizes my license and allows me to MP3 all of those as well from anywhere as well.

That's the thing about new cars - I'm not sure any come with a CD player anymore, it's MP3, sat, or bluetooth.... which, from their perspective is better because no one will notice the crappy music coming from their crappy speakers.
                      Wow, have I never posted about Apple Music on here anywhere? All you can eat $9.99@month, full dynamic range, option to download any or all local, and now because of YouTube stepping up THEIR game Apple is re-tooling with more video. My library is at 13,000 songs plus. I had been using ITunes as my player of choice and when they offered the choice of going legit and having artists getting paid something I gave up my life of crime. Right now going to playlists I can see I "overate" with my full artist libraries of everyone I could ever WANT to listen to, but that was the only downside other than 80 Gb of local files when I went to SSD that I had to move to another laptop. All that wouldn't mean much if I had a life, but I of course I don't as I demonstrate here daily. So un-Apple-like. The only Apple aspect is it won't run on Android tablets, only any phone or older IPod and IPhone. Weird, I can run it on my Obama Phone but not my older IPod. Need a newer IPod anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        I like good music with quality sound....it used to be a Pioneer Super Tuner with better quality speakers in factory locations....never got into the whole thing of subs and amps.... figured that it my rear view mirror shook from the sound, that was a bit much....my only disappointment is that there isn't a single R&B station in the area....
                        SiriusXM is your friend. Pricey, but they do offer a $5/month six-month deal. Receivers are not too expensive.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

SiriusXM don't DO online only. Or if they do they are trying to keep it a secret. Still experimenting on YouTube Music. It is focused on the "self tailoring". I fired it up on a tablet, told it to store as much as it can offline (100 songs), kicked it off with the new "Like A Storm", and turned the volume off and let it go. My prediction is in a day or two it will tell me I'm a Taylor Swift fan.

Comment

Yup, the YouTube algorythyms have decided since I am human and humans REALLY like Country Music I need to hear Dan + Shay. I don't think so....

Comment

Y'know the free SiriusXM thing may be a BIG part of my original question.... Now I wonder how many people buy MORE Sirius after the year and how many buy another car because the old one ran out of music?

Comment

Working...
                              X