A '69 Chevelle that gets DRIVEN.LOTS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A '69 Chevelle that gets DRIVEN.LOTS!

Ok Check this out! First off I appologize for the crappy pic,it's from my cell phone.But I'm gonna tell you about a '69 Chevelle that gets driven constantly.Butch works 50 miles away,when he isn't riding his motorcycle he drives the Malibu.Oh yeah,and he works in Rochester NY.Not a whole lot of bike weather.To tell the story of the Malibu,first I have to tell you about the Super Sport,as well as the dude behind them.
    Butch was 2 years ahead of me in school.He's a Chevy guy,but like me,loves the musclecar era in general.The cars,the music.I think he was in 10th grade when he bought his '69 SS 396.He researched it's history to find it had been through a dozen or so owners,and almost as many drivetrains/paintjobs.It was running a 305 with an 4 speed when he bought it around 1989 or so.He bought a few parts cars and basically replaced all the sheetmatal.Butch is not only a mechanical genius,he's very particular about what goes on the SS.He originally bought the Malibu thinking "parts car".He bought it off a little old lady who was finally upgrading to something new.He got it running,and next thing ya knew,it was on the road.Then it started getting hand me downs from the SS.The duals and original tips,the bumper.Then he put a turbo 350 in it to replace the 'glide.Then a 700R4 out of a Firebird.He's got that wired up via a switch from a dome light (I think it controls convertor lock up?) and of course any small block hi po stuff that came his way (he got a 402 for the SS) Me and my bud Pat call it the baddest 307 in the world! It's a rocker.He's said "this is the last year for it" every year for the past 5.A deer blasted the passenger side a couple months ago.He replaced the passenger window (with one from a '69 'vert that litterally broke in half when he pulled it from it's grave) and he's STILL driving it! He went to some Chevelle show at the Tonawanda Engine Plant a couple years ago,and I think it was the club president,gave him an award.He wasn't gonna enter but his then-girlfriend said "it's a Chevelle and it's here,DO IT!" He wrote a small peragraph about tsome of the mods,as well as his driving it.The President dude said it was the most real car there! I don't know if Butch realizes how much his gearhead buddies like it.Some people might see it and talk shit or laugh,but screw,I have no interest in KNOWING them.

Re: A '69 Chevelle that gets DRIVEN.LOTS!

i think i had the twin to that car

Comment

WOW,holy crap! Of course Butch doesn't have a computer or I'd send him that! It had those style hubcaps on it when he bought it! I saw a MINT copy in San Diego 2 summers ago.Same color combo Malibu with rally wheels,driven by an elder woman who obviously has excellent taste in cars!

Comment

The guys on the "Rags-to-Riches" TV-series

would probably buy the '69 on the flat-bed,

spend 50-60K on it, & maybe make 2-3K...

if you don't count all the time & labor.

They've bought hulls in similar condition

as starting points. But hey, it's a TV show.

Comment

My neighbor had the exact same car when I was a kid. I wonder if either of those is it?

Comment

Working...
          X