The Bizarre Road Trip Itinerary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bizarre Road Trip Itinerary

We're going to the Coon Dog Cemetery in northwestern Alabama. We sure are, photos and full BangShift coverage forthcoming. This is gonna be great! Another reason to burn some gas and see some sights. Because we can.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    We're going to the Coon Dog Cemetery in northwestern Alabama. We sure are, photos and full BangShift coverage forthcoming. This is gonna be great! Another reason to burn some gas and see some sights. Because we can.
    When??
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

When??
      In the morning. Bedtime now. Call me, leave me a message if you want to play.

Comment

To bad, I was heading to the lake Wednesday, that would be a stone's throw but I have business to attend to before then
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Been there, did that. One thing about it, you have to go there on PURPOSE, it's quite a ways off the beaten path.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010311.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1209077

Name:	P1010312.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1209078

Name:	P1010316.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1209079

Name:	P1010314.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1209080

Name:	P1010315.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1209081

Name:	P1010317.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1209082

Comment

So.... I guess those dogs don't hunt.... I mean, they DID hunt, but right now those dogs don't hunt...
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

awesome!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

One thing about it, you have to go there on PURPOSE.
                Interesting ... what prompted you to go on a road trip to visit a coon dog cemetery?

Comment

The movie " Sweet Home Alabama " ? They had a scene about a coon hound cemetery.
                  Last edited by Dan Barlow; July 18, 2018, 01:27 PM.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Interesting ... what prompted you to go on a road trip to visit a coon dog cemetery?
                    Sue Unit watches a lot of movies. That and reading lots of books (novels) is her "thing." She was talking about one movie she had just watched where there was a scene supposedly (by the plot at least) set in a coon dog cemetery.

Right away......wait a minute, We've seen the sign beside the highway pointing to that. When we saw the sign and commented on it, I sort of blew it off, figured there was little town back in the woods there named Coon Dog, and the cemetery is where they bury everybody.

Somewhere. We've been all over the southeast since I retired. Where WAS that sign? I Googled it. Yep, Alabama. we'd been through there twice this year, in addition to everywhere else. That's where the sign was.

So nothing else would do since we'd seen the sign, we've gotta see "it." Just something else to do, and that was a really fun trip.

Sue went one direction looking at lots of the markers and I went the other way taking lots of photos. When we had already left and gone down the road she said her favorite grave marker was inscribed, "NOT THE BEST DOG BUT THE BEST DOG I EVER HAD." Dang, I wish I had seen that one and taken a photo of it.

Oh, and the coon dog cemetery they had set up on the Hollywood set was obviously NOT the real one.

Name:	P1010321.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1209166
                    Last edited by pdub; July 18, 2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      The movie " Sweer Home Alabama " ? They had a seen about a coin hound cemetery.
                      Yes, that's it Dan, that's the movie she was talking about.

Comment

Oh, and the coon dog cemetery they had set up on the Hollywood set was obviously NOT the real one.

Name:	P1010321.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1209166
                        Ugh No ! That wouldn't be very respectful !
                        Also the one in the movie was at least on the edge of town .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Ugh No ! That wouldn't be very respectful !
                          Also the one in the movie was at least on the edge of town .
                          Oh, the real one ain't on the edge of ANYTHING except for maybe the edge of the earth. You get off the big road onto a state road and go 12 miles on that road and then turn onto narrow rocktop road and go 5 miles on that road and find the cemetery on the edge of THAT road.

EDIT: The website says the cemetery is open 24/7. Which as a concept would make it even MORE edgy to maybe just decide to do that on purpose with flashlights, poking around in the dark around midnight. I said DARK. IF you could find it in the dark. On our way out of there, a whole bunch of wild turkeys were in the middle of the rocktop road. They spooked and got back into the woods before I could even take a photo of them.
                          Last edited by pdub; July 18, 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Sue Unit is always one who's into research. Check this out:
                            Coon hunting in America has become a multi-million-dollar business. Coon hunting has morphed from a weekend outing to a serious sport. In fact, a nighttime jaunt into the woods is now a heady quest for fame and fortune. That is, if you have the right hound. An expensive purebred hound. A coonhound. Historical Perspective                                                             Though …

Comment

That road trip was a great one day there-one day back road trip, much better than going halfway across America to see the world's Biggest Ball of Twine, or whatever. As far as the end result, "What you went there to see," I'm sorry, that just WAS a great road trip. As goofy as that may seem.
                              Last edited by pdub; July 18, 2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X