Bar Hopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar Hopper

The boys have decided to build some bar-hopper bicycles for our afternoon jaunts around downtown. One is building his take on the ultimate balloon tire Schwinn Cruiser and got his old frame powder-coated gloss black and is running stock S2 wheels. He put on a comfortable new brown leather saddle and custom chrome beach bars. Hard to beat black and chrome.

I'm going to recreate a model from my youth and build an adult size Schwinn Stingray, using one of their newer 26" cantilevered frames. Here is what I got for Christmas 1967 (sans headlight and whip laces).

Attached Files

I was stuck with a Huffy Rail from my allowance money. I added a 6 foot sissy bar like this along as an extended stem and seat post as I grew out of the stock parts. Nice thing about the 5 speed was the first few had Huret (French) derailleur and a big bike crank set. Smoked a Schwinn or two then nobody would race me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_0950-Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	242.3 KB ID:	1209305

Actually that was a '68.... THIS is a '67

Click image for larger version

Name:	016-2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	1209306
    Last edited by RockJustRock; July 19, 2018, 04:29 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I found this Schwinn "Classic Cruiser" frame on FeePay for $10 locally, so I drove to Orlando to check it out and picked it up. It's a later 1996 model made in Boulder, Colorado using a lighter Hi-Tensile steel, perfect for my lightweight design concept.

Attached Files

Comment

Got this for my 10th birthday, tried researching it but can't find one like it. The springs on back were actual shocks.Click image for larger version

Name:	imgcachebig1.11414704.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1209312
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
          Got this for my 10th birthday, tried researching it but can't find one like it. The springs on back were actual shocks.Click image for larger version

Name:	imgcachebig1.11414704.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1209312
          I believe that I may have found some info on it Perry: http://vintageschwinnbicycle.name/mt...chwinn-vtg.htm
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Dang Patrick, THAT'S IT!! Same color too. Wow that was a great bike and everyone wanted to ride it. To bad it was no longer for sale, I'd probably entertained the idea of buying it. Why? Cause it so cool back then. I don't think my parents even knew what they were buying!

Comment

My parents got me one of these. A Mattel Stallion. Man, that thing was cool. But it wasn't. It weighed as much as New Jersey, impossible to pedal up a hill when you're a little kid. . My parents musta not followed the market enough to know that the Stingray was the hottest thing going.

This thread has me thinking.....I cannot remember for the life of me what happened to that bicycle, how it got "gone." And that was back when I could remember what I had for breakfast on any given day a year ago.

Name:	Stallion.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1209334
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Wow, such a warm fuzzy here.... We were the kids too young to have the REALLY cool cars so we had cool bikes. Seriously, not EVERY kid had a bike like that. At least for THAT long everything went OUR way!
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  Wow, such a warm fuzzy here.... We were the kids too young to have the REALLY cool cars so we had cool bikes. Seriously, not EVERY kid had a bike like that. At least for THAT long everything went OUR way!
                  I think it is just that, a "memory." And memories are wrong, it was never the way we remember it. It could have never been that good, all of it. That's just the way we choose to remember it.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I think it is just that, a "memory." And memories are wrong, it was never the way we remember it. It could have never been that good, all of it. That's just the way we choose to remember it.
                    Sorry Peewee in this instance of childhood it was that good, everything was great although my friends were starting to get mini bikes I felt like Easy Rider. It was a happy time. Guess that's why I saved the picture, never be that " unstressed " again.

Comment

do it......................

Name:	pazbike.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1209349

Name:	redbike.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1209350

Name:	fatwheelie.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1209351

Comment

I'm getting ready to head out to the Evel Knievel museum in Kansas city so it is appropriate to post a pic of my bike I had when I was a kid . And yes while some of my friends had mini bikes , I was the king of the streets . I could ride wheelies and jump th at thing . Even broke the frame . Schwinn gave me a new frame, no questions asked . This photo isn't actually mine but if I wern't out going out the door in a few I could find a pic of my actual one . It really was as good as I remember it .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The original Schwinn "Slik" is a 20" tire, but since I'm building a 26" size ... I bought this Schwinn combination road / sand tire with a nice flat profile, which should look just fine.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Went with a white-wall Quick Brick front tire by Felt.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Found a really nice 1980's NOS Columbia chrome plated cruiser fork, so I don't have to paint it and the design is starting to fall into place. I think the entire front end will be chrome plated with a white-wall brick front tire.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X