Rules and Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules and Regulations

The beauty of being retired is we can take as long as we want to get somewhere. It allows us to take a trip to anywhere using the "avoid freeways" function on the GPS. Enjoy the roads, see the scenery, no pressure, no stress. Side roads, curvy roads, cows. Goats, wild turkeys, stuff and places you don't run across on the interstate highways. And it takes at least 3 times as long to get there on the clock.

Driving for distance using the cow road function (avoid freeways) on the GPS, it's always a mystery where you will stay for the night, whenever you run out of mortal gas, that's enough for the day. Sue Unit is adamant, we need a smoking room. Those are not easy to find anymore. Let alone, where's the beer store? Going state to state, county to county, you have to stop and ask, "Where's the beer?"

We got into a new situation today at the end of the day. Calling one motel after another in the immediate area in West Virginia until finally a lady on a motel desk said, "This is a no-smoking COUNTY." DAYum. SERIOUSLY?

And it sure is raining in Maryland. A motel where each room is individually named like at the Gear Head Inn. The western cowboy theme. And the bikers are here partying like hell. Sometimes a wet hog finds a great place to sleep.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Non-smoking rooms...wife smokes and gets really pissed winding up sitting out in front of the door in a chair half the evening. One reason we vacation by RV. Maybe somebody should come up with a travel guide for smokers w/ smoke-friendly rooms/restaurants etc. Or, states. If there are any.

Edited for political correctness.
    Last edited by Loren; August 3, 2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

In LA you get tickets for smoking at a Bus Stop.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        One reason we vacation by RV.
        Loren, that's EXACTLY why we shopped RVs with every intention of getting one, Until we got disillusioned about the RV dream life, the more we learned. The price of whatever RV will pay for a whole LOT of motel rooms, and you don't have to park it somewhere (which we don't have) when you get back home.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Seems R.J. Reynolds would have you set up on smoking friendly hotel guides .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Tammy found a great trick, stop at the state visitor center in each state, outside of each one we were able to find books of hotel discout coupons with regional maps, motel amenities,
            phone numbers, etc... those become very useful when roadtrippin'
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              In LA you get tickets for smoking at a Bus Stop.
              I hear it's straight to state prison if they catch you with a straw.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

RVs certainly cost more than hotels. They're not much fun to tow or drive. They're rolling chicanes on the highway, They're hard to store. They depreciate. They require more maintenance than a non-mobile house. They're generally a pain . . . .

But there's something good about not sleeping in a nightly bed-bug convention, or on a who-knows-how-old mattress that who knows what's been done on and to, or a couple of thin sheets of sheetrock away from the party-of-the-century or an MS13 drug cartel seminar, or . . . .

I guess I hate motels more than I hate RVs . . . .

I'll leave the smokers' laments to those who smoke . . . I, for one -- perhaps the only one here -- do appreciate that not every public place reeks of stale tobacco these days (and I will hate it when everything starts stinking of "weed" in a few years . . . .) It's not really my problem if folks want to smoke up all their own stuff, so long as I don't have to pay for it, or subsidize it, or have to be subjected to it (e.g. smelly rental cars, nasty hotels, clouds of carcinogenic waste gasses . . . . )

I also don't miss the old days when tobacco companies were aggressively pushing their addictive products on motor racing fans and racers. That's probably a minority opinion, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

How will the kids snort their crystal meth?

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

How will the kids snort their crystal meth?
                    ​​​​
                    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I am happy with the current laws on smoking. Especially after suffering as a kid . People smoking in restaurants while your trying to eat . Or the bowling alley that needed fog lights on your shoes just to see the pins . But the point is that people how do smoke and need a place to stay over night .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Actually under Prop. 47 any drug violation to a non-violent offender gets chopped to a misdemeanor. You get popped for selling Meth to an undercover and get mandatory rehab and probation.

About the same as smoking a cigarette while waiting for the bus.

And walk onto the Metro Train (no turnstiles) without paying and it's $500 or seven days in County. Drugs are casual. Mass Transit is SERIOUS!
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; August 3, 2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Annnd.... Need I remind everyone cigs are $7@pack here due to taxes. People pay $.75 for singles. Makes the habit REALLY UGLY!

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                            Non-smoking rooms...wife smokes and gets really pissed winding up sitting out in front of the door in a chair half the evening. One reason we vacation by RV. Maybe somebody should come up with a travel guide for smokers w/ smoke-friendly rooms/restaurants etc. Or, states. If there are any.

Edited for political correctness.
                            Don't tell me you finally got the Superior on the road!
                            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post

Don't tell me you finally got the Superior on the road!
                              Ha-hah, 'fraid not...but how much we enjoy travelling with our old crap RVs now is why we would want to be putting the trouble into a bigger old crap RV for eventually. Good to hear from ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X