Bluebird K7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluebird K7

The boat that killed her dad has been rebuilt so that someone else can die in it..... I'm sorry, but I think this entire thing is morbid. Build a replica, show the wreck, tell the story, but don't rebuild it to kill again - did we not learn anything from Christine?

Salvage and restoration of the legendary Bluebird K7 designed by Ken Norris Bill Smith diver and project leader Alain Douglas John Barron Tidy Mike Bull Rob Ford Clark Kent Novie Dzinora Paul Hannaford Tony Dargavel Jordan Aspin Richie Harrison Robert Checkie Rob Jack Youth Younger Alan Dodds Doddy Ted Walsh Malcolm Pittwood Neil Sheppard Graeme Connacher Graham Woodfine Beanie Sally Cartwright Carl Spencer Spirit of the lake
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I remember seeing that boat go over on the news and Campbell talking to the end....
    Apparently in his haste to do the return run the boat was'nt refuelled resulting in an untrimmed vessle.That caused the nose to ride too high.

I can' imagine they'll do full bore runs with it.

Comment

Other matters have been raised, such as his mental state at the time (possible jitters?) and that the lake may have still had chop from his first run...that stuff bounces back and forth for a while.

Lots of interesting reading on the linked site which appears a couple years old, including this: http://www.bluebird-electric.net/parry_thomas.htm which I didn't know about. I'm only partly through it. Looks as though the family has their opinions including calling a newer similar boat built by others "disrepectful" (?!), but after all these years have done nothing of note on the subject themselves. I would agree with them in their preference to have the boat displayed in restored and not wrecked condition.

From the site:

...Donald Campbell proved what Ken Norris feared most; that the Bluebird had design limitations. Clearly, it would be unrealistic to build a replica with built in limitation, just as the plans to run the original K7 again - are folly, save only for nostalgic occasions at slow speed (emphasis mine). So it didn't /doesn't look like there were realistic plans to "push it".

I once pondered for no particular reason a design for an ultra-high-speed boat (no practical use on that) and it didn't come out looking a lot different than the bluebird except I wondered if front pontoons shouldn't be suspended and use some of the '80s "active-suspension" tech, or the fly-by-wire tech that lets shapes such as the stealth fighter fly. Riding the threshold between liquid and air is different than between hard land and air,and stuff that happens just happens too fast for a human to react to.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        The boat that killed her dad has been rebuilt so that someone else can die in it..... I'm sorry, but I think this entire thing is morbid. Build a replica, show the wreck, tell the story, but don't rebuild it to kill again
        The way I read the article is that she specifically does not want to display the 'wreck' that her Dad died in, rather wants to restore the boat to original condition, to display it in the condition he went out after the record with. Where did it say it would be raced again ?

Comment

Raceable condition. It's like this - you shouldn't race your vette...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

The way I read the article is that she specifically does not want to display the 'wreck' that her Dad died in, rather wants to restore the boat to original condition, to display it in the condition he went out after the record with. Where did it say it would be raced again ?
              they also talked about running it across the lake before they put it up....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                they also talked about running it across the lake before they put it up....
                Ahhh, I missed that tid-bit ... sorry.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X