Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUNING vs. Hard Parts vs. BOTH vs. Smog Testing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Interesting.
    Yes that sure WAS. Interesting is an understatement. But on the inspection form, they have boxes to check off.....135, 185, 200+......GYAH! I don't understand it completely, but let's don't publicize it a whole lot, though it's already too late, it's knowledge.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

2015 caddy CTS-V. 10.87@128, through the FACTORY exhaust. Nice and quiet ( other than the blower shriek)
      Added headers and a full aftermarket exhaust. 10.75@129. Loud, and obnoxious, almost deafening under WOT.
      Your situation may vary.
      58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Tube headers are kind of the automotive version of women's pantyhose. They kind of look great for a few minutes. They're a pain in the butt to install**.. They're easily damaged. They don't do much for most, but some "dogs" really need 'em.

**Direct experience with headers . . . observational "experience" with pantyhose (Sorry Joe Namath fans, but real men don't wear 'em)

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
          Tube headers are kind of the automotive version of women's pantyhose.

Comment

Monster, it's like the sort of exaggerated metaphors and similes that made Tom McCahill a decent living for decades,

The most colorful automotive journalist America has yet read - Tom McCahill from the September, 2009 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines

Comment

Tom McCahill was a weak imitation of the TRUE master Brock Yates.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                Tom McCahill was a weak imitation of the TRUE master Brock Yates.
                Who knew it was a contest? McCahill was an American institution years before anyone had much heard of Yates. So it's hard to conclude McCahill was a "weak imitation."

iməˈtāSH(ə)n
                noun
                the action of using someone or something as a model.
                "a child learns to speak by imitation"
                synonyms: emulation, copying, echoing, parroting
                "learning by imitation"
                a thing intended to simulate or copy something else.
                "an imitation diamond"
                synonyms: copy, simulation, reproduction, replica]
                Both men (RIP) were great writers.

"Great automotive writing is memorable forever, almost as if you’d done the trip yourself" -- Neill Watson
                Reading Time: 3 minutesI’ve just finished reading a great PDF download by motoring writer Mel Nichols entitled “Literary and international influences in automotive journalism” He presented the paper last year at Cardiff University. It’s available as a PDF download from this link. In it, Mel tells the timeline of his own career, from a student writer in Tazmania,

Comment

Exaggerated Metaphors and Similes? O.K. The best written Hot Rod Magazine EVER was Car and Driver in the early 70s. From Jean Shepard on down. Mechanix Illustrated? You must have spent a LOT of time in the High School Library AND it's magazine section must have been weak. C&D every writer had the chops to do a monthly column and every one was golden.

Comment

The best written Hot Rod Magazine EVER was Car and Driver . . . .
                    Spider Gears Man would be turning at 10,000 r.p.m. at the thought any "clean hands" rag could be considered a "hot rod" magazine.

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    seems like hrm wants to be more like the clean hands magazines
                    And I'm fairly sure Spidey wouldn't agree that any magazine without Tony DeFeo, Cliff Gromer, the Brunt Brothers, Joe Oldham, Martyn Schorr, Al Kirschenbaum, "E-Booger" and the other outlaw scribes of the NYC hot rodding media is "best" . . . .

Re: your favorite dead car magazine ?

cliff gromer and the brunt brothers too
                    Re: What magazines do you subscribe to? Magazine decline thread got me going.

in the single days it was
                    car craft
                    hrm
                    super chevy
                    stock car racing
                    circle track
                    chp
                    national dragster
                    ss/di
                    national speed sport news [me and gary london hated the jarretts ]
                    winston cup scene
                    phr
                    popular cars
                    dave wallaces drag racing
                    doug marion's chevy newsletter
                    eastern rod news
                    muscle cars
                    cars illustrated

CD back in the day was well-written "clean hands" stuff (oh sure, they occasionally outsource-built a race car or two). But it was no hot rodding magazine, IMO. Not even close.

Comment

Hi Performanece Cars was GREAT FUN. Well written. Good people. But content? It was just a Comic Book for Baldwin/Motion. Because of it's existence the rest of the motoring press was left to ignore the Shelby of the East Coast. More said. Fewer words. Too easy...

Comment

The best written Hot Rod Magazine EVER was Car and Driver in the early 70s.
                        Okay, I'll bite, for pure discussion pleasure only, and our results may vary I was buying Hot Rod and C&D off of the shelf at the convenience stores during just about that same time, or probably even earlier.

There are two things I remember from then. In Hot Rod, it was the gassers. That was the thing. And I lived nearly 60 years before I ever got a chance to see them run in person. They are doing that, still, a legacy league in the Southeast. Also in Hot Rod, I vividly remember a monthly column near the back of the magazine called "Rooster Tales." It was about racing boats and the teams that were doing it. Top end on the MPH scale racing boats.

At the same time in C&D they were doing performance checks on production cars. I was fascinated with the numbers, how fast or slow they would go in a testing environment. But what stuck with me, it's still in me after all of those years, all of the braking stats were the same. Because they were all using drum brakes. So they would fade on the 5th run, etc. Even as a kid I picked up on that. It didn't matter if it's a Ferrari or a Cadillac, all of the brakes were the same. I was left wondering why they went to so much effort to develop the stats on the brakes for every car when they were all virtually identical.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'm not saying Hot Rod sucked. I'm not saying ANYTHING sucked. There were bad car magazines. There was a different Super Stock that was more like HP CARS than Super Stock. Popular Hot Rodding didn't really do anything that well. But none sucked. At fifty cents how COULD they? A Hot Rod full of Vans and Dune Buggies was still GOOD. But a Car Magazine you could pour into a snifter, swirl around and inhale before devouring it cover to cover? That was C&D. A Car Magazine that made you laugh out loud? C&D. A Car Magazine you read aloud to your school teacher and used in school projects? C&D. AND they raced and built project cars, Hot Rod stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X