I Officially Surrender My Man-Mechanic Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Officially Surrender My Man-Mechanic Card

Come Monday, we're taking Red to the shop in Georgia. Drop him off on the way to somewhere else that will be fun farther down the road.

There is a list to go with that drop-off.

* Replace the rear end gear, ring and pinion. I watched the video that Rock posted about that particular task, they can HAVE it, that job. And it'll only make about a 5% difference for Red, 3.55 to a 3.73. I'm all over the map, some days I think that'll be an improvement at The Mile, some days I think it'll end up being even slower. We'll see.

* Install the drive shaft safety hoop that Patrick reminded me that I needed. I hope I never need it, but that will successfully add about another 25 pounds to the pig. Might as well.

* Adjust the parking brake. I've got the new cables on there, both sides, but I can't for the life of me make the parking brake work on those exotic and specially-bought rear brakes that took 6 weeks to get. I carry a wooden chock in the car for whenever we park on a real hill. That's no way to live, somebody can fix that, but I have tried and I cannot.

Anyhow, I'm only saying, I am NOT a mechanic. I've done a lot simple things, when I was more mobile, but it doesn't bother me at all to drop the car off at a shop and say, "Call me when y'all are through with it." There.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Um - Pdub...... You and a support staff have installed a blower on a car that didn't come with one. You HAVE a He-Man Mechanic card. But a real He-Man can decide when to use it and when to delegate - you delegated. Rock On!

Dan

Comment

Plus you can't surrender the Man Card and keep the Man Pedal.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        Plus you can't surrender the Man Card and keep the Man Pedal.
        Steve Strupp, the owner of ECTA, is one of the greatest guys ever. Friendly, just a great guy, and so smart too. I can't say enough great things about him

And he loves working the start line. So he does. He stands there and then he says, "GO," pointing down the track. But he's standing in front of the car. Steve, please get out of the way, I've waited long enough to do this.....
        Last edited by pdub; August 9, 2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

And I thought it was for life........

Comment

Alot of things I can fix, some things I can't. Then there are things I can fix but just don't want to and would rather pay someone else to do it. And that's OK.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              Alot of things I can fix, some things I can't. Then there are things I can fix but just don't want to and would rather pay someone else to do it. And that's OK.
              Well, Man Card or not, I've done what I can and I sure enjoyed it. Really sure enough when I wasn't throwing tools at the wall and cussing, but that's part of the fun I suppose. Most days these days my hands hurt, I can't turn a wrench. It's hell getting old, but some folks age better than others. And I wouldn't trade any of it for anything. At least the shop is down the road, "Here, YOU fix it."

Comment

WHAT!?!?!? You are a true hobbyist mechanic whether you see yourself as one or not.... there are things several of professional wrench benders don't do, so, DO NOT sell yourselves short... Hell yes there's the hurt... I'm battling muscle pain right now, because I CHOOSE to replace a damned sidewalk myself, and I'm sure that Tammy is sore from working/finishing it with me...Yes, we are old, but pain is your friend.. it tells you that you are still alive and will not let the bastard called life beat you! I salute all who chose to continue to work, hurt and survive, rather than just give up, lie down, and fix it with a phone call....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  WHAT!?!?!?
                  I like being sore Patrick. I rode a bicycle 30,000 miles across 12 of the United States.. I rode it 200 miles in a single day 3 times, just to prove to myself I could do it.

I know the difference between sore and pain. Sore is a good thing, that means you did a lot of stuff and you're sore from it. Pain is another thing. Pain prevents you from even being able to get sore.

Comment

I can understand what you're saying.... you just keep going and don't give up ok? Like dirty Harry says..."A man's gotta know his limitations"

BTW...I know what you're sayin' about the bike too...Rode RAGBRAI back in 1978 just to prove I could do it...
                    Last edited by silver_bullet; August 11, 2018, 04:54 AM.
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Pdub I'm with you on working on cars now. The body just won't twist and turn like it once did to get in to those tight places. I installed a lift so I don't have to crawl around on the floor underneath one. And it seems like I take more time looking for the right tool or part than I spend actually working on the car. So let someone else do the dirty work and use yours/my time to enjoy the ride.
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Tell everybody howdy for me.
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
                          Tell everybody howdy for me.
                          I do, every time. Those are great guys.

Comment

Howdy Pumpkin!
                            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Hey Charlie Brown, It's the Great Pumpkin! Glad to hear from Ya!
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X