What's Up with Me and Gas Pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Up with Me and Gas Pumps?

As much as we are driving around lately because we can, it can't just be me. The trouble at gas pumps, if you want to pay with a credit card.

When we're mobile in Red, I HAVE to purchase 93 octane. He's tuned to run on only that. In certain places, not a lot places mind you, you can't can't even get it. The pump selections stop at 91. What's up with 91? That's weird......sort of upper middle octane.

But anyhow, so many times, it occurred to me today, SO many times, I've found a pump offering 93 but it won't pump. You go through the throes and squeeze the handle and it goes THUMP immediately, just like the tank's full. Try it again. THUMP. Somebody here on BS, I'm sorry I can't remember who, said that means the ground tank is empty, out of 93. And whatever is left is full of dirt anyhow, but I'm not so sure, it happens too many times.

Today, a new deal. we were traveling in Bluebelle, burning 87 octane. Here's a spot, I need to pee anyhow.....swiped my card at the pump.....the window display on the gas pump......"PLEASE WAIT A MINUTE....." ..with a little clock symbol spinning around.

I could drag this story out, but all 6 of their pumps were cross-eyed, they would not accept a credit card. So I went inside to pee and just for fun I went and asked the lady at the counter, "Is something wrong with every one of your gas pumps?" She asked which one did you try? I said I looked at all of them, they are just nuts.

She said, "Well, lightning hit them. They will still pump, but you just can't use a credit card. Would you like to pay for your gas here at the counter?"

I said no, I don't even know how much I need. See ya later.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Cash . . . generally unaffected by lighting (except for direct lighting strike on your wallet) . . . Just sayin'

Comment

My favorite screen prompt is, "Insert card again. Insert card again. Insert card again. See cashier."

Nope, I'll "see" the next gas station.

Comment

Were you at higher altitudes where 91 was the highest available (or CA)? As you go up in altitude the octane demands go down so they lower the octane of the gas to match. Not great if you're driving from Denver to Kansas but OK if you're headed to Utah.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I hear 'ya, Pdub . .. . But DOOD! You're already going inside because that grapefruit-sized, sexagenarian prostate is smashing that set-to-pop bladder filled with the byproducts of the 64-ounce Big Gulp from the last gas stop . . . . Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
            Were you at higher altitudes where 91 was the highest available.
            Nope. It's all over. In Blytheville, Arkansas where the ECTA land speed event is held, I was starting to get worried. Red was thirsty when I got to town. I had hit all the gas stations that I could see in town. I found one that did offer 93 but the pump was messed up, it looked like somebody had been beating on it with a hammer trying to get the money out from inside it. I finally found 93 on the other side of the interstate at the station in front of Lowe's.

And that octane selection - 87, 90, 91.....that just puzzles me because I don't understand it. Why do they even have the 90, or why do they even have the 91?

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
              I hear 'ya, Pdub . .. . But DOOD! You're already going inside because that grapefruit-sized, sexagenarian prostate is smashing that set-to-pop bladder filled with the byproducts of the 64-ounce Big Gulp from the last gas stop . . . . Just sayin'
              Yeah, but if you pay with cash you have to go inside twice if you want to fill the tank up. Once to lay down an overly generous amount of cash, and again to go back in and get your change. What "changed" my mind about that was at a big truck stop one time. By the time I went back in to get my change there was a really long line of people waiting at the cash register. They were there to pay and I was there to "get," hoping the cashier remembered me. I said, Self, there's gotta be a better way.

And if you drive away from the pump without getting your change, do the cops chase you down and force you to take your change?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

. . . there was a really long line of people waiting at the cash register.
                Sounds.like a Hot Rod Power Tour gas stop. To avoid the second trip to the CASHier, I've often purchased an even-dollar amount that's slightly less than what the tank would hold if topped-off . . . That still tends to give more fuel range than bladder range . . . . (Got to cut back on the iced coffee . . . .)

Pay-at-the-pump is convenient . . . except for the gas pump card skimmers . . . .

As the holiday approaches, the Secret Service is warning there’s been a disturbing surge in criminals targeting gas pumps with hidden credit card skimmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                  Anybody else ever ponder the prostate of Peter North? Must be epic.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Thank "the Manufacturer" that this isn't TOBT at YB or RJR's :blue musing would probably be illustrated with pix . . .

Comment

Admit it. That was funny as hell.... If you "get it" you have no right to be offended.

Best product endorsement EVER!

Last edited by RockJustRock; August 16, 2018, 06:54 AM.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                      X