• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $80K+ "Budget" Build. Worth it?

Discuss....

My hobby is needing a hobby.

1. If you wanna f*&k up a nice Nova, ask this guy how
    2. If you have no imagination, stick an LS in it
    3. If you got 80K to throw at a project car, buy it and at LEAST have a hand in building it.

This video made me sad.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Not my style . . . not remotely my "budget."

I'm guessing that this is the kind of "pro touring" smoothster that keeps Johnny Hunkins awake at night (I could be wrong . . . .)

Why is it that most "checkbook" rodders only seem to care about whether or not their new "Cars and Coffee" ride will do burnouts? It doesn't take jack to do a burnout. I'd much rather have a car that will hook than one that will just scratch . . .

Comment

Also, I'm getting really tired of giant "pro-touring" wheels and tires that tuck in too far. Real road course cars don't have huge wheel-well overhangs or fenders that skirt the tops of the tires. They've got wide tracks and rubber that stretches to the edges.

Above: clean and nice but no. Below: More like what a road-race car is supposed to look like.

Related image
        Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; August 21, 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

yeah, i read someones build thread here that was like, " first it went here for bodywork,
          then it went to this guy for an engine, then this other dude built the trans, we took it
          to so-and-so to install the engine and trans, then it went here for stuff like the radiator
          and fuel system, then this other guy did the cage, then we took it to this shop for paint,
          then it went here for............."

i got to 9 shops and stopped reading. just me, i guess.

Comment

The obvious.... If you're gonna do THAT, why not an Omega, Ventura or Apollo? Why a Nova SS? And how can you call it Pro touriung on skinny tires and apparently stock suspension?

I STILL like this one. So awful it is somehow GOOD. I just can't look away.

Click image for larger version  Name:	38843091_2117550061789930_3155502881709228032_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	1212770
            Last edited by RockJustRock; August 21, 2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

And in a few years they'll be bored with it and will be real disappointed when it sells at auction for half what they spent to have it built.
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Ok HATERS

Why do check books bother everyone so much?

Is it you are jealous that you haven't been successful enough in life to be able to afford to have a high dollar car?
                Are you so insecure in your own car crafting skills that you have to belittle / call out others that you perceive to have less?

Personally, I don't posses ANY metal working skills so when one of my projects needs "quality" metal work done - it gets farmed out to a craftsman that ultimately requires me to write a few checks!

For me a better yardstick is USAGE.
                How does the car get used?
                Does the owner cruise around town in it just for fun (without going to a parking lot show), drive it home in the rain, beat on it on the back roads - actually use it?
                If it is a shinny bobble that they only want to show off and brag about how much they spent on it - then they would not be someone I would typically enjoy hanging out with.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree Allen, but, I have to admit I give a lot more respect to those with sweat equity in their projects...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have a yard guy. So, I pay someone to cut my grass .. not because I can't mow the lawn, but because my time is better spent elsewhere and he does a better job than I would have too.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      I wholeheartedly agree Allen, but, I have to admit I give a lot more respect to those with sweat equity in their projects...
                      Patrick - absolutely!

There are several folks on here that I am in complete awe of. They posses skills that are clearly exceptional. I enjoy working on my stuff - figuring out how to do something and then building it. However, there are lots of things that I can't do as well as I want them done so I pay someone else who does. As an example, I don't port my own heads anymore. Additionally, there are lots of folks that don't posses the skills to rebuild an engine, transmission, rear end or any other number of items so they have to pay someone else for that.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                        Ok HATERS

Why do check books bother everyone so much?
                        I don't have anything against checkbooks. Commissioning restorations and other builds is great for the industry . . . Creates lots of skilled jobs . . . Sells lots of parts . . . increases the supply of interesting vehicles.

My point wasn't against someone paying experts (or purported experts) to build all or part of a vehicle. It was about the common "performance" benchmarks too many superficial "checkbook" rodders hold for measuring the success of a project. Which leans into cstmwgn's second point . . . .

For me a better yardstick is USAGE.
                        How does the car get used?
                        Does the owner cruise around town in it just for fun (without going to a parking lot show), drive it home in the rain, beat on it on the back roads - actually use it?
                        If it is a shinny bobble that they only want to show off and brag about how much they spent on it - then they would not be someone I would typically enjoy hanging out with.
                        I'm also not against the show car people who preserve vehicles in pristine show condition. Not everyone is a rat rodder or a racer or a homebuilder or an engineer or a design innovator. I love the fact that some folks go to the trouble to create and/or maintain "reference" examples of stock, custom and rodded vehicles. If everybody beat their stuff to death, many unique and desirable vehicle models would quickly be lost to wear, tear and attrition.

In my anecdotal experience, it's a lot harder to keep something in pure, unadulterated form than it is to tear it up.

There is no one mandatory way for enthusiasts to enjoy automobiles.

I will agree with cstmwgn's point that bragging is mostly obnoxious and tiresome. Let the car do the talking . . . .
                        Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; August 22, 2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

What I'll never understand is people who make enemies of people who would be their friends. I have problems with people who think that cars are an appliance. So fricken what someone does something with a car - it ain't your car, it ain't your money, it ain't your business; try being nice, you may find a friend. On the other hand, throw rocks and then wonder why someone treats you with contempt.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

But SBG, in any endeavor which involves design, craftsmanship, aesthetics and even artistry, the results may be polarizing.

A wise guy once wrote "a harsh answer stirs up wrath" . . . A near universal truth that critics often (and often justifiably) experience. Still as long as people have differences of opinion on aesthetics and other values, there will be reactions and controversy.

Perhaps we ought to strive for constructiveness in our expressions. But absolute self-bans on any discussion of form, function, execution, and appropriateness are stifling and unrealistic. Discussion breeds innovation. For example, would we have had such an explosion of traditional rodding had many not reacted against the hegemonic billet-look that often seemed to dominate the 1980s and '90s? Or would we have had billet had some not reacted against the homogenizing force of cheap, mass-produced bolt-ons? Would we have benefited from preservation of 1960s Detroit supercars had no one spoke up about how too many were being wasted?

Folks often learn from passionate discussions of design, craftsmanship, aesthetics and artistry, Whether or not such discussions have any objective bases is for another day. We build the next generation of petrolheads through words and actions. What do we want them to know? How do we want them to express themselves? How to we teach responsible creativity? Or preservation? Or the balance of form with function?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              What I'll never understand is people who make enemies of people who would be their friends. I have problems with people who think that cars are an appliance. So fricken what someone does something with a car - it ain't your car, it ain't your money, it ain't your business; try being nice, you may find a friend. On the other hand, throw rocks and then wonder why someone treats you with contempt.
                              I usually get along until certain things get thrown around. Opinions. Words like "Best", "Ultimate" when just "Great" or "Nice" would do. Then comes "facts". Things like "Low 10s", "800 HP". Who actually cranked on the wrenches doesn't really matter, unless it's "I did it, so I know it's PERFECT" or "That shop is the best in the business.".

In racing I can't understand the Brand X motor deal. Like a racer couldn't take a Buck, ProLine, Musi, RM or SEVERAL of them, tear them down, add a few of his own tricks and go faster.

But TV personalities. Go there and expect stones from haters. I've said it before, Count? GOWDY. Goes beyond simple Gaudy. "Fastest Street Raced Cars In The Country"? Well.... any car will be faster on Prep with clocks. Why talk about conditions? And No Prep Is a thing, show us the WINS!

Comment

Working...
                              X