Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most famous Person and Car Person you've ever met, talked to, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the most famous Person and Car Person you've ever met, talked to, etc.

I almost bumped into Bruce Springsteen one day. I was walking into a record store and he was walking out When I got in the store everyone was saying "WOW, DID YOU SEE THAT?". I said "Uhhhh, I come in here every Thursday to give you a chunk of my paycheck, what's the deal?". They said "NO, THAT WAS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!". Well it was the day Darkness On The Edge Of Town came out so nobody knew what he looked like with no beard.

Car Guys we will have to do event and non-event categories. I usually behave myself at events. One exception was when I had one of the first portable VCRs. A lot of kinda confused looks from people, but SHIRLEY stared me down with a REALLY evil eye while warming the car up until I shut the thing off because of course I had no permission. I wish I still had that tape.

Another exception, Tony Christian showed up at Union Grove for the PRO meet on Labor Day while the Vette was at it's peak. Of course Labor Day is INDY, so I got nosy and said "Aren't you at the wrong track?". He barked back "I can't win EVERY race!". He went out in class run offs, probably to avoid bombing his class record. .

Non-event I was taking a sales call and the guy said to send it to Dale Pulde. I went all teeny bopper and said THE Dale Pulde? He was like "Yeah I drove a Funny Car".

Oh and I met and talked to a LOT of famous Comic Book Guys, but they are just Comic Book guys, well, maybe Harlan Ellison and I just talked on the phone with him.
    Last edited by RockJustRock; August 25, 2018, 06:04 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I say easily, Brian Lohnes. What a great guy.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

famous people? jeez, thats a list--remember, i worked as a doorman in bars for 24+ years....
      also hawaii is very small comparatively speaking, at some point youre bound to run into
      just about anyone who visits or has property here....

ringo starr, bruce willis, tom selleck, michelle rodrigez, jason momoa, charro, andy bumatai,
      mufi hanneman, pierce brosnan, michael mcdonald, jim neighbors, richard pryor, sarah jessica
      parker, kallie cuocco, adam sandler, ron jeremy, john lovitz, etc etc etc......

as far as car guys, maybe jimmy pfleuger i guess. although i regularly hang with current
      local legends bobby williams, mick minicola, doug leandro, etc.....

Comment

General Schwarzkopf, Chuck Hanson, Brian & Chad....I have a knack for staying 6° separated.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

oh yeah, Lohnes is famous now

I got to meet Wally Parks. Not long before he passed. And Smokey Yunick. both at SEMA.

Chatted for a few minutes with Chip Foose years ago. also said hi to Boyd Coddington.

I didn't have the gumption to talk to the drag racing greats I saw at the old AHRA Winternationals 40 years ago, unfortunately.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

In the mid 70's we were out driving somewhere and John Wayne pulled op along side of us in his Pontiac wagon. Me and my sisters waved at him and he waved back (not sure if this counts). I've met Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) Al Unser Sr., Danny Ongias , Tom Sneva, Pancho Carter, Bobby Alison and Bob Glidden. Oh, and Jay Leno.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Went to to Los Angeles 2004 and popped into
              the Hot Rod offices......
              they were all out to lunch except for Jeff Smith.
              So I got to chat with him for awhile...

Comment

Until now I'd totally forgotten about it, but I am now reminded.....I met somebody one time.....I think it was in an airport somewhere. But they didn't tell me who they were. I'll bet that was it right there. Met "somebody" and I didn't even realize it.

Comment

Barbara Eden, Bob Hope, Vic Edelbrock, Don Garlits, Linda Vaughn, Chip Foose, Arnie Beswick, George Barris....
                  And the list goes on and on... as far as ranking them....I won't even try....
                  Last edited by silver_bullet; August 26, 2018, 04:48 AM.
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've been blessed to be in the presence of several great automotive personalities while handling the microphone. Bob Glidden, Dave McClelland, Steve Evans, Vic Edelbrock Jr., Bret Kepner and Connie Kalitta are among the many. But, by far and away, my favorite (and famous) automotive personality is our own Brian Lohnes. Aside from Dave McClelland he's the only one who's actually sat down and enjoyed beers with me away from the racetrack.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	lohnes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	1213336
                    Last edited by Ron Ward; August 26, 2018, 04:57 AM.
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I had the good fortune of transporting Brian to a local watering hole to share lies with fellow bangshifters a few years back. The navigator's chair has never been cleaned since
                      nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151028_141751.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	585.4 KB
ID:	1213364
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Most famous car guy? Gen. Colin Powell. Of course, I'll have to change that if I ever meet Brian Lohnes.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Probably Ed Iskendarian. Met him under the awning at Bonneville Tech Check. He was a very friendly guy and must have been in his 80s. Shaking hands was an experience - it was just like shaking hands with a baseball glove as all those years of exposure to cutting fluids, etc. had taken a toll on his skin. I'll have to look up and see if he's still alive.

Dan

Comment

I haven't been around nearly enough it seems. But Brian .....this is a thing I put together from files I have stored for a keepsake. I took Bluebelle to Ohio twice, just for fun, and that's all it is. Brian, on the mic, was having a great time of it. He could even make my frolics sound like a real sporting event. The first clip is when I took Bluebelle there with the speed limiter engaged. I got in lots of runs, two of those runs were identical, on the time slips. Down to the thousanths of a MPH. At one point, Brian noted, "If we were bracket racing, this guy would OWN it." The second time, the next year, I came back, with a tune on her. It made a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X