No wonder it was overheating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder it was overheating.

My Buick Regal's 3800 Supercharged has been running hot after getting off the highway. The problem was finally traced to the water pump - looks like cavitation or corrosion had completely wiped the vanes off the impeller!

Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump fail resized.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1213694

That might 'splain it...... (weird....)

Dan

Comment

what a piece of junk?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As far as failures go..............that is a cool one!

Thanks for sharing.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          As far as failures go..............that is a cool one!

Thanks for sharing.
          you a punny man, Stiney. you stop now, you no funny

Comment

Parts carnage is always fun. Looks like something solid got involved where only liquid should be. I often have wondered about that when poking around water jackets in blocks and heads. Lots of coat hanger sized wire from core supports gets left in there.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I think it was cavitation or rust that wore down the blades. The car had 150,000 miles on it, and this may have been the original pump.

Comment

It was the snake headed aliens that control the oil business by keeping Janis Joplin alive in Scotland so she can sing to JFK over a bluetooth headset while he goes around with some purple skinned gremlins that create difficult to discover mischief such as missing impeller blades. Trust me, this is the most plausible explanation. The snake headed aliens want your car to overheat so you have to justify buying a prius to your mom and the guy down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                  It was the snake headed aliens that control the oil business by keeping Janis Joplin alive in Scotland so she can sing to JFK over a bluetooth headset while he goes around with some purple skinned gremlins that create difficult to discover mischief such as missing impeller blades. Trust me, this is the most plausible explanation. The snake headed aliens want your car to overheat so you have to justify buying a prius to your mom and the guy down the street.
                  Ah, NOW I get it. Maybe......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                    puff puff pass man, puff puff pass...don't bogart....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I keep remembering Bob Dylan tellin' us not to trust anyone over 30.... Just keep raising that number every year.... Damn, we're all gettin' well seasoned....
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                        My Buick Regal's 3800 Supercharged has been running hot after getting off the highway. The problem was finally traced to the water pump - looks like cavitation or corrosion had completely wiped the vanes off the impeller!

Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump fail resized.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1213694
                        Yes, that would explain an overheating issue for sure. It looks like cavitation, but the dark discoloration on the right side of the impeller makes me think it sat awhile too.

Comment

it still amazes me how GM can program the engine controller to basically band-aid this failure and keep the engine running. Pretty darn cool

Comment

I was surprised how destructive cavitation is when I first started looking into it. You wouldn't think little micro bubbles could damage metal, but it does.

Comment

Everybody knows that I know next to nothing. But if that was my car, my system, I'd be freaking out.....where's the REST of it? Where did it GO? It's still in there, somewhere.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X