Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Going to Arkansas - June 7-9, 2019 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Going to Arkansas - June 7-9, 2019 ?

Who will be there? I will. Dan Stokes has already said he won't be there, and that's a lack of a treat by itself. The diesel truck is racking up some impressive speed numbers, all because Dan made it be so. I wish I was so skilled and imaginative to put something together like that.

It's a quest. A vision, a goal. I wanna go 150 mph. From my standpoint in the car, that won't look or feel or sound any different than 149.7 mph. This pig of a Mustang which I so dearly love and am very proud of happens to now have a supercharger on it, it WILL go. But how FAR on the speed chart will it go? I want to know.

The new rear gear may do it. I still haven't run through the gearbox in anger, I'm not gonna do that on public roads. But I think there's a chance. It's gonna be either or ain't, we'll see on the very first run on the very first day. And I may spin the car around at the start line, it pulls so hard now. I'm blatantly trying to sell tickets for this. Who's gonna be there?
    Last edited by pdub; September 4, 2018, 11:45 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

OK, I'll bite.
    When is it?
    Where is it?
    What is it called?
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      OK, I'll bite.
      When is it?
      Where is it?
      What is it called?
      Blytheville Arkansas. Sept 28-30. Holiday Inn Express recommended, but there are other motels. It's an 11,000 foot runway, not in use. https://www.ectamile.com/

Comment

I had hopes of going twice this year but my "new" hoopty isn't ready for road trips. The wragon is still causing more problems than it may be worth.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
          I had hopes of going twice this year but my "new" hoopty isn't ready for road trips. The wragon is still causing more problems than it may be worth.
          Well , I said I'm trying to sell tickets, but it's not much a spectator sport. At least I don't think it is, it's a participant sport. It is for me at least. I don't know what it looks like when we're going as fast as we can, The finish line.....the starting line.....I don't know where spectators should be. Sue Unit and I spectated at Maxton at the finish line, that was pretty good. We got to see some things go by REALLY fast. Maybe that's the spot, the finish line. All that made me want to do was to do it.

At Maxton all the cars were in a grass infield area, like a car show. In Ohio, they were all stretched out for about abut a mile and a half. In Arkansas, the start line is a mile away, WAYYYYYY down yonder. So, I dunno, I'd like to watch it but I'd far rather do it.
          Last edited by pdub; September 4, 2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

It's like Speed Week. I go for the pits and talking to the racers. About 2+ miles of pits at Speed Week. Then there is the start line watching and hearing the noise.
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
              It's like Speed Week. I go for the pits and talking to the racers. About 2+ miles of pits at Speed Week. Then there is the start line watching and hearing the noise.
              Nick
              The beauty of it is, you've got a bunch of home-built cars. No money is at stake. The folks there are as easy to talk to as you and me. Nobody is racing "against" one another. It's just "GO." See how fast you can go. All by yourself, the track is yours right now, just GO. That's just beautiful. I'll drive a thousand miles to do that, again and again.

Comment

You should amuse yourself soon by looking at the long range weather forecasts. Some will include wind direction and speed.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  You should amuse yourself soon by looking at the long range weather forecasts. Some will include wind direction and speed.
                  Those forecasts are good for less than a day and a half, and about 40% good at even that. I always wanted to be a weatherman, I'll tell you exactly why I missed yesterday's forecast so badly and then promise you for real what it's gong to do tomorrow. That would be a great racket to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
                    Nick
                    In June in Arkansas there were only about 50 participants. Bikes, cars, everything included, so the line was moving. I mean QUICK by what I've seen before. Hardly time to catch your breath before you're staged up and next to go. That was really something.

And as far as sightseeing, I guess I got all of that done in the tech inspection line. Yeah, there was some cool stuff there, there always is. But when it's time top GO, you'd better get in line IF you want to run again, which I for sure DID. And more than once I was invited by the official to pass some folks in the staging area, they were fooling around with seat belts, still trying to get ready. It was every bit that quick, and exhausting. GOLLY it was hot. Terrible hot that day. I'm going to run that event every time they have it, I think. Unless I blow Red up trying to go faster. Then I'll be screwed, no way to get back home. But I'll deal with that then, when I have to.

Comment

Can't make it this time. If you break it just rent a uhaul truck and trailer.

right now my car should run low 130's maybe when I get some more power it would be worth taking. I have been trying to convince Dad to put a taller gear in the Camaro. Oh to be back at Maxton, the good old days
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        Can't make it this time. If you break it just rent a uhaul truck and trailer.

Oh to be back at Maxton, the good old days
                        You and Dan Stokes just HAD to love that didn't you? Right in your own backyard.

Comment

Two hour tow to Maxton. Now it's a full two days. Still, it's WAY worth it - bummer that I can't afford it this Fall (blew my wad going to Speed Week) but I'll be there in the Spring!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Two hour tow to Maxton. Now it's a full two days. Still, it's WAY worth it - bummer that I can't afford it this Fall (blew my wad going to Speed Week) but I'll be there in the Spring!

Dan
                            I'll run a lap for ya Dan. I'll miss ya. Sorry I wasn't up to dinner the second afternoon in June, but I was plumb sick from the heat. Didn't even feel like eating at all. And didn't for a couple days. And you were sitting out there in the sun changing Truck's brakes, making fun of this Southern Boy who can't stand the heat. You are an amazing man, Sir. You sure are.

Comment

Maxton: 5 races a year, close enough to home I could drive down Saturday morning and still Make the drivers meeting. It was the #milelife!
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X