Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Going to Arkansas - June 7-9, 2019 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wait until you hear about my 2020 plan for going 200+ mph

Comment

• Phone call. I called Andy. He wasn't kidding. He's gonna let me make a hot pass in that Hellcat in April. I asked him, WHY? Why would you even let me do that? I wouldn't let anybody else drive Red. He said because he's never heard it.

I totally get that. Just like I wanted Stude to make a video for me because I'd never seen it, Andy wants to hear it. Okay Andy, and thank you, I'll do that for you. I'm coming out of land speed retirement for about 35 seconds in April. Unit is VERY worried. And I'm worried that I'll like that Hellcat way too much. Unit's already shaking her head about that, NO NO NO.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• I'm sure your wife/girl friend? Sorry guessing what "unit" means. understands, making a run in a car, isn't the same as going out and spending the money to buy a faster than what you have now vehicle of your own.
        Life is full of risk, racing has risk, but you can go to sleep tomorrow and not wake up. or be on a public road and the worst happen, when it is your time. it's your time.
        Yes, sitting on side line watching can be nerve racking, when you care about someone but. should be supportive if it makes you happy.
        My wife never understood that itch for the need for speed,or to win. until a test and tune night and I said, why don't you make a run or two.
        Everything changed after that. No, she doesn't want to keep doing it, but now she understands it, as she was hell bent on being the first across the line after only two runs. She now also has a habit of using the street light as the tree, and turns green and gooooooooo.. problem here is the fuel mileage she now gets when she needs to scratch that itch a little. She didn't understand how the mpg could drop that much, just with jackrabbit starts.
        Good luck. Remember ,you only live once.
        Last edited by Eric; December 8, 2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Good luck. Remember ,you only live once.
          We'll see when we get there. Andy is the nicest most entertaining guy in the world, on our land from England. He's gonna let me drive that Hellcat.

But the 'We'll see thing" is, I'm licensed to go up to 175 MPH, but not in that car. Andy's car has been 180+ but not with me in it. I don't know if cars and drivers are joined at the hip as far as qualification is concerned. So I dunno, if I have to start the qualifying process all over again starting at 125 MPH, I'm not gonna do it. I don't want to take 3 or 4 runs away from Andy, it's HIS car. I only want one pass and that's all, balls out.

Stuff to sort out at check-in. And whatever, I've got lots to do there without running down the track anyhow. This is gonna be great, it always is. A bad day at the track is better than a good day at work.
          Last edited by pdub; December 8, 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• From my experience in September, the MS class may be a little different.

As a rookie I did a 1/2 mile and lift orientation pass (107.6mph), and a 3/4 mile and lift orientation pass (145.8mph). My first run on the full course was 175.0mph.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
              From my experience in September, the MS class may be a little different.

As a rookie I did a 1/2 mile and lift orientation pass (107.6mph), and a 3/4 mile and lift orientation pass (145.8mph). My first run on the full course was 175.0mph.
              You won't get in your 57 runs for the weekend if you let me take one, plus there's the time required for the driver swap and the cockpit training. I'm astounded you're giving me the real chance to do it, but I sure will, if it plays out. I just can't believe it, that opportunity. I'd enjoy nothing more than to take Kitty down the track one time. Pure thrill, honor.

Comment

• Andy, if you let me do that, and if it happens, this is gonna cost me a fortune. I can see it already. And I quit land speed already. Of course I did.

Comment

• Nah, just read the internet.... a $500 junkyard LS and a Chinese turbo kit off eBay, and you'll have Red over 200mph for about $2,000!

(Once)
                  Last edited by Red_Kitty; December 9, 2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    I'm licensed to go up to 175 MPH
                    Your license is good on anything with 4 wheels. That said, it would be wise to take an easy run at - say - 125 to 150 just to get a feel for the car and the speed, then come back and make your WOT run. It is, after all, someone else's car, so I would be prudent if I were in the driver's seat for the first time. I bet Andy won't mind giving you a couple of passes. To quote Pooh Bear (IIRC) you "are not too much bother."

And another tip - there's nothing like sending someone down the track in your car. It's a REAL rush! I took a lot of cherries in the Camaro including Seldom Seen Slim and Mrs. Slim (first time on 4 wheels). I would do more of that with Mutt but hardly anyone can fit in him!

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; December 9, 2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I would do more of that with Mutt but hardly anyone can fit in him!

Dan
                      What overwhelms me at this point in time is.....and everybody already knows how dreadfully dangerous it is when I start thinking.... Dan, in my conceptual mind, you and Andy are like twins. Fun, full of knowledge and accomplished in a whole lot of things. And a joy to be around, both of you. I predict you'll be instant brothers when y'all meet at the track. That's just my take on it.

But be prepared, Andy's got a strange accent when he talks.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

What overwhelms me at this point in time is.....and everybody already knows how dreadfully dangerous it is when I start thinking.... Dan, in my conceptual mind, you and Andy are like twins. Fun, full of knowledge and accomplished in a whole lot of things. And a joy to be around, both of you. I predict you'll be instant brothers when y'all meet at the track. That's just my take on it.

But be prepared, Andy's got a strange accent when he talks.
                        My Mom's mother and her whole family were straight off the boat from Hartlepool. Grandma lost her accent but her sister who outlived her by many decades and who we saw as often as possible, did not. Love the accent!

Dan

Comment

• But be prepared, Andy's got a strange accent when he talks.
                          And in his homeland, they'd be looking at you funny and trying to make out your southern drawl.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

• Originally posted by studemax View Post

And in his homeland, they'd be looking at you funny and trying to make out your southern drawl.
                            I'm sure you're right Stude. I had Andy on the phone.....he said something, I didn't get it....I said, "Pardon me?" He said it again. I still didn't get it. I was sort of getting embarrassed and he finally said real loud, "GEE-TAR." Ohhhhhhhhhhhh "guitar." I'll be bringing a percussion instrument or two for Andy to join the band at the motel.

Is it April yet? Dang this is gonna be a long winter.

Comment

Never gonna happen .. they don't stand a chance.

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              I'll be bringing a percussion instrument or two for Andy to join the band at the motel.
                              He may be a "Frog" kind of guy ...

Comment

Lisa told me he sounds like a Southern Colonel....
                                I do not know what one sounds like
                                Does Pdub really sound like one?

Comment

Working...
                                X