Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Going to Arkansas - June 7-9, 2019 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Just make sure you can open the door from the inside with it taped up. I am sure couple mphs of mine over the years came from card board covering the grill, a box and a roll of painters tape can be your cheapest speed.
    Stude and I have been round and round about cardboard. With that blower and intercooler on there, I'm not gonna do it. It's a mile from the pits to the start line. Stuck in traffic for the last part of it. I see why folks push or pull real race cars to the start line. We don't have that capability.
    Last edited by pdub; September 26, 2018, 07:35 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Peewee - You can always pull the tape once you head back to the pits if you're worried. Seriously, most of the air entering a modern auto grille is sucked in from the bottom of the car. We can tape it up while you're in line, OK?

I tape up the grille opening on my Ranger during the winter to keep the slush out of it - no problems. You can make a run, idle back to the pits and be OK on the temp gauge. Trust me - it will work. If you don't believe me, ask Keith Turk (if you can get 5 seconds of his time).

I looked at your wheels again - too much hassle to smooth them over with cardboard and tape.
      Last edited by studemax; September 26, 2018, 09:59 PM.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I wouldn't try the wheels either. However, the grille is worth a try - just watch the temp gage. It'll work or it won't but I expect it will. It'll change your class or you can run T/O when taped up. A quick look in the rule book suggests you would run Altered which may not be a bad thing - not sure of the record in that Altered class.

Rock On!

Dan

Comment

Grille opening:
          I open up a 12 pack beer box and stick it in front of the radiator.. No grille.. For the winter. On the flatbed. Never overheated..

Consider the majority of air is drawn from low..what called? dissfuser? I doubt you'd overheat.
          I do know my Trans Am HAD TO have that little "air dam" under the radiator to not run hot even if it had the grille opened

Comment

Well, we can't do any of that. We can't remove the mirrors and the wipers....in Super Street the car must be 100% street legal as it runs down the track. Also taping and cardboard stuff is considered streamlining and would negate Red's class qualification as well. So said Mister Tech. Mister Tech is holding the clipboard, it bodes well to abide by his instructions.

Comment

Here ya go Stude, from the tech line:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010351.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1216575

Comment

Stude motor, or Brand X?

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                  Stude motor, or Brand X?
                  Dunno, I didn't have enough gumption to ask, didn't even know WHAT to ask. There's your fun at the track right there, asking stuff. ECTA folks are all mighty friendly.

Comment

Land speed racers are the best.

Comment

Ron Ward is here. He's arrived. We're gonna make some lousy music, thanks to my lousy part. I'm gonna try to talk him into, we should video it. Damn whatta weekend, it don't get much better. It seldom ever does for sure.

Comment

Be safe in that red thing while you're out there. Last time I was at the dragstrip, I had seen 149mph a time or two but was bracket racing and on the brakes or on and off the gas some. Finally got eliminated and figured I'd try to run a flat out pass and see that magic 150 on the slip, one to put on the wall.

Woke up in the ambulance. Be safe.

Comment

9 runs later, 151.8 mph. The humidity went down, the very slight wind shifted toward tail. Amazing, picked up 6 mph during the day, try after try.

Stude's here, Ron Ward's here, we made lousy music beside the swimming pool tonight. After so many tries down the track, Keith Turk coached me on how to drive the car to get the most speed out of it. That didn't help right away but it for sure helped when the weather changed just the right amount. Big grins, even more favorable weather tomorrow.

Comment

Shuffling my feet, staring at the sky......

At least Red is more pleasant on the road there and back!
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                              Shuffling my feet, staring at the sky......

At least Red is more pleasant on the road there and back!
                              The tech inspector yesterday was saying, and WHEN you go 175......nossir, I'll need a JATO package on the roof to see 175......Gyah what a thrill,just a number, 150. Did it.

And I got Keith Turk to initial my rookie sticker on the helmet, good for 150. That was the goal. Did it. I would have never believed it this morning, turning a 145. Did it. Sure did.

Keith is quitting the running. This is his last event as coordinator. He's going back to racing, building a Camaro to race. He'll still be at the events, but he won't be the one on the back of the truck for the drivers' meeting. He hasn't missed an ECTA event in.....25 years? Some sort of an insane number like that.

Comment

When did that state move.

Comment

Working...
                                X