Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Going to Arkansas - June 7-9, 2019 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peewee and Stude. Cheers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010372.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	1216780

Now it's time to sit by the pool and drink beer and make more lousy music with Ron Ward. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it I guess. Whatta weekend! Wow.

EDIT: I've got a video that Stude shot of Red going by on the big end of the track. I happen to think it's hilarious and I won't say why. I'll publish it when I get home.
    Last edited by pdub; September 29, 2018, 06:31 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• When Keith Turk tells you, "Your stuff's over, the way the wind is blowing, unless you're still just having fun running down the track," anyone who is awake had better listen. That was the conversation. I could blow the car up for trying for more, but I have to drive it back home.

I already knew it - mission accomplished. And quite a mission, and quite the adventure. Proven. That's how "fast" that car will go. With a slight tailwind. With the new rear gear, that's how fast it will go.

Comment

• So you are going to have to share the 6 mph driving tip! That's cheap speed!
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
          Posting a whole bunch of photos off of the camera at one time is real hard to do......that's my excuse for lots of duplicates. I don't even think that was ALL of the photos, too much to think my way through right now.
          Thanks for the pics ... the least I could do was to remove your duplicates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post

Thanks for the pics ... the least I could do was to remove your duplicates.
            Thank you Steve. Ammo do it again after I have the photos downloaded and named, so expect some duplicates of the duplicates again because I'll get confused. Point is, there are more photos than that. And Stude took some shots at the track too he said he'll put up.

And to re-visit the new rear gear, once I learned how/when to shift it, it was all into 150 consistently. PLUS we took all of the junk out of Red's trunk (spare wheel, water bottles, etc) and threw in the back of Stude's pickup truck, about 60 pounds of stuff. That by itself didn't HURT, but something finally worked in our favor on two runs - the wind. That's how important wind is at land speed when you don't have 1000 HP.

I surprised me and made it all the way home today, 9 hours on a piece of the interstate and then cow roads. I had opportunities to stop and bunk down, but I just didn't want to stop. I'll piddle with the media for the next day or so, there seems to be a lot to sort through on the cameras.

And thanks guys for all the cudos on the new speed number, that was worth every bit of the effort (and expense).
            Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Back when I drove as part of a job I'd drive 10, 12 or more hours to get stuff done and get overtime. When I started working salary I drove 8 hours and that was IT. I was driving then because I HAD to, not because I wanted to. They said "Aren't you anxious to get to your new job?". I said "NOPE". I got there an hour or two early, had the keys, so I looked it over before the boss flew in. He said "Couldn't you have waited for me?". I said NOPE. That way he couldn't see how I felt about my LA office being smaller than my Phoenix one. When we NEEDED a second unit within six months he couldn't accuse me of planning that.

Driving distance is funny that way....
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Glad to hear that you made it home safe!
                Last edited by silver_bullet; September 30, 2018, 04:33 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Stude got there Friday evening, we had dinner and agreed on a plan for Saturday at the track. Morning, we were there, and he asked, "What's my role here, what do you need me to do?"

Well, let's take all of this junk out of the trunk and toss it into your truck. ALSO, I have an additional video camera. I've got still shots of Red out the wazoo, what I do not have is a video of Red at speed.

Folks, I've got a really old Sony Bloggie camera. It's about 25% bigger than a credit card. What you have to work with is a live screen display on the back of it and it's nearly useless in the sunlight, you can't see where you're aiming it. AND it's got a big red button on the back of it that starts the recording. You touch it, it's recording a video. Put it in your pocket with the power on, handle it the wrong way with the power on, it's recording. Yes, it's frustrating and I've had the thing and used it for years. It's like a firecracker with too short of a fuse.

Stude said, let's get one of you leaving the start line and then I'll go down to the time trap and get one of you going by at speed. Cool! I'm all in.

Here's the video from the start line, first run on Saturday when I got a 152.8. Here it is.....this is a leadup to the second video I'll post. Enjoy, this is cool stuff. Oh, and note the wind sock, when it goes by, the wind is blowing straight down the track, the only time it ever did that day. Watch this and wait for the second video in a few minutes when I get it up, It's the punchline and Stude said hell yeah post it.

Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Okay, we've established that the camera is nearly impossible to use in the sunlight, you can't tell when it's recording and you can't tell where you have it aimed.

This one - out of about 8 tries, this is the one where Stude actually got Red on the screen going by at the time trap. BUT, he thought he didn't, but he did. Yes, frustrating - WARNING - profanity.

Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• The coolest thing happened on Saturday after I'd already stopped running, that's it for me. Stude and I were sitting on the back of his truck, Red parked right there, we were watching cars go by really darned fast. Somebody came up and wanted to hear about Red. WOW, nobody ever wants to hear about a 2006 Mustang. So I opened the hood. That went on for a while.

Then somebody else came up wanting to talk, same thing. I was astounded - It's wasn't a bucket full of folks, but folks......several, wanted to hear about Red. Now that I'm home, I suspect that it was because Ron Ward was talking me and Red up on the FM radio at the track, Red's never had that much attention before. I mean, like NEVER. ever. I could never expect it.

So later on a young mom and a little boy walked up. Stude and I noticed them, but we kept on talking with each other. The boy was maybe...I dunno, maybe 7 or 8 years old? I'm a poor judge of little kids, maybe Stude is better at that than I am. They were walking laps around Red. They stayed for minutes, not saying a thing. Finally when they got close I said, "How y'all doin?"

Mom said, "We're just admiring the car."

Stude told me, "Let him sit in it." I said, WHAT? He said let the kid sit in the car. Oh hell yeah, You wanna SIT in it?

I opened the driver's door and he sat in there and I draped the five-point belts all over him and he sat there grinning, twisting on the steering wheel. He was about 7 years too young to reach the pedals. Mom was overly thankful for that opportunity.

Junior sat in a race car, clearly a thrill for him. They were there at the track that day, Junior was not in front of a video game at home.

Stude said, "PR, promote the sport, show it to the youngsters." And Junior will have a helluva story to tell at school on Monday, he sat in a race car.

That was brilliant. I was off in another world, I would have never thought of just doing that, offer up. That was just too cool. Stude, that was RICH.
                      Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• That's great I am glad you let the kid sit in Red. I have done that once at the drag strip. I don't think my car is really anything special, but it looks fast!, it will tech to 9.99 but runs hight 13's . That and to a kid born in the 2010's a 1987 is a OLD car. I was their age when they were new so I understand.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• OK - I'm finally posting.... a few quick words of thanks....
                          (1) Muchas gracias to Peewee for his invitation to Arkansas (he asked last time, too).
                          (2) I appreciate his generosity in paying for me to get in the middle of the action - he didn't have to do that.
                          (3) Thanks for ponying up numerous times while breaking bread at Perkins. I only got to pay once. ONCE! See what a magnanimous guy he is?

We had a grand time, folks. I'm glad I was there when he upped his record yet again. Most records are bumped up in half mile per hour increments - so Peewee and Red were set on SOLID GOLD STUN to go 152.8 when they hadn't broken the 150 barrier before this event.

Thanks to Keith Turk for arranging the Chamber of Commerce weather for the event. It was sunny, breezy, and a more than delightful day at the track.
                          Ron Ward - a classic voice from the broadcast trailer. He is GREAT, folks - take it from me. And funny, too. This old couple sitting in their Buick laughed at all his corny lines. I finally pointed out the trailer a hundred or so feet away, and said - "The guy you are laughing at is over in there!".
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

• I also took a few notes from Ron about traveling back to Kansas, and Peewee mentioned using "cow roads"..... Saturday night I revamped my original route (my down pass) - and managed to shave an hour and fifteen minutes on my return pass. Who woulda thunk running 55 on a 2 lane blacktop through sleepy little burgs would be quicker than going 75+ on the superslab interstate routes? It also took slightly less fuel, and had the added advantage of having different scenery to keep me awake. And I still stopped to pee 3 times and gassed up once, just like on the trip down to Blytheville.

Here's weird: Red gets better road mileage with a huffed V8 than my V6 powered Ranger. And Peewee thinks Red is a brick!

I will post pix later, OK? I've got stuff to do around here before I come back....
                            Last edited by studemax; September 30, 2018, 06:42 PM.
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

• Stude, thank you so much for a great day at the track. I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Comment

• Man, it's bedtime on Eastern Time for a dried up fart. But in closing, I'll bet I don't ever do anything. They say there's not a prize, but I think there is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010373.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1216841

Comment

Working...
                                X