Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I'm in FL (cancer checkup) but ME & The Boy didn't come with me thinking it wouldn't be THAT bad. Well, it probably WILL be (that bad) so she's heading inland, maybe to Fancy Gap or maybe to a friend's in TN. Either way, we'll both be outta Dodge. If the looters invade - we have insurance.

Dan
    Dan if she goes to Fancy Gap she'll likely be stuck there in flood conditions, the way they have the map colored in.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      I'm in FL (cancer checkup) but ME & The Boy didn't come with me thinking it wouldn't be THAT bad. Well, it probably WILL be (that bad) so she's heading inland, maybe to Fancy Gap or maybe to a friend's in TN. Either way, we'll both be outta Dodge. If the looters invade - we have insurance.

Dan
      Sister in Spartanburg is prepping for bad several days.... they are worried about bigtime rain and power outages.... hang in there....best to get out before the lunacy starts....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        Windy.com

Weather geek out PARADISE. Check all the options, but use "wind" to see the VERY nice animated display.

http://www.windy.com/?33.782,-118.186,5
        That's cool stuff, never been there before. Thanks Rock!

Comment

Google something stupid like "Wind predictions" Google still gives you SMART things.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Serious subject, but..... still gotta keep it just a BIT light!

Click image for larger version

Name:	florenceshark.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1215113

Comment

HahHahAhahAH!!!!!!!!

What gets me is, days ago, they drew a straight line to the NC/SC coast. They were certain of it, even then. Usually hurricanes meander and wobble and go here and there and maybe even fizzle out. I don't know how they knew it so far ahead of time with so much confidence. That's....for the first time ever I've got to give them credit, on this one at least.

The cone is getting narrower but it's in the same place where they drew it a few days ago. But it's the aftermath now that has them confused. With each advisory from the Hurricane Center, it's less than a minute before they've busted out a whole new box of crayons to depict what will happen inland. As of 5:00 p.m. today, they've now colored us in here for 3 to 5 inches of rain from it, and our fun will start on Sunday. And that may/will change with the next update at 11:00 p.m.

But they were right about where it was headed in the ocean, they sure were.

Comment

Name:	florenceshark.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1215113
                Now THAT's FUNNY!!!!!
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

HahHahAhahAH!!!!!!!!

What gets me is, days ago, they drew a straight line to the NC/SC coast. They were certain of it, even then. Usually hurricanes meander and wobble and go here and there and maybe even fizzle out. I don't know how they knew it so far ahead of time with so much confidence. That's....for the first time ever I've got to give them credit, on this one at least.

The cone is getting narrower but it's in the same place where they drew it a few days ago. But it's the aftermath now that has them confused. With each advisory from the Hurricane Center, it's less than a minute before they've busted out a whole new box of crayons to depict what will happen inland. As of 5:00 p.m. today, they've now colored us in here for 3 to 5 inches of rain from it, and our fun will start on Sunday. And that may/will change with the next update at 11:00 p.m.

But they were right about where it was headed in the ocean, they sure were.
                  Still.... scroll upwards and to the right on "Windy" and look at the OTHER TWO HUGE crayon blotches. I can't see that lopsided blotch going straight, nope!
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; September 11, 2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Still.... scroll upwards and to the right on "Windy" and look at the OTHER TWO HUGE crayon blotches. I can't see that lopsided blotch going straight, nope!
                    You mean THIS?

Name:	Crayon Blotches.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1215148

Comment

Yeah, kind of.... time it just right and it looks like the whole UK could become history.

Name:	big.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	1215152

Comment

Yeah, kind of.... time it just right and it looks like the whole UK could become history.
                        They've got solid houses, built from chiseled blocks of stone hundreds of years ago. PLUS they lost the war over here, they've endured a lot.

Comment

The shark thing came to me via Snopes on FaceBook. So did this:

The definitive Internet reference source for researching urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation.

Comment

The shark thing came to me via Snopes on FaceBook.
                            Yeah, it's a bad deal for everyone in this corner of the nation. And thanks for the levity, I love the flying sharks. Yeah, it is. Every 20 or 30 years you have something like this happen....I've seen it once, they say it'll happen again. At our house I think we're out of the way, but so many folks have to "get" out of the way.

The most sensational thing is of course is the destruction of the coast from the wind and storm surge. This one's different, it won't just blow through. It'll stall and flood.....OMG. It's gonna flood.

Comment

Yeah, it's a bad deal for everyone in this corner of the nation.
                              Your corner? Cleveland, Tennessee? North Carolina is not a corner anyway. It will rain hard, no doubt. It will flood, no doubt. The sun will shine again on the fruited plain.

Forgotten about all the wild fires out west? Did you know they finally contained a 76 day wildfire in Colorado yesterday? The green bursts forth shortly after, and the birds will be singing their glorious tunes.

Right now the US of A has been enduring a bunch of troubles, but eventually they end. And because most Americans are self-reliant, helpful, and tough - we will survive and flourish again. Long may Old Glory wave - we'll live.

Stop cringing and living in fear.
                              Last edited by studemax; September 11, 2018, 09:51 PM.
                              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Yeah, it's a bad deal for everyone in this corner of the nation. And thanks for the levity, I love the flying sharks. Yeah, it is. Every 20 or 30 years you have something like this happen....I've seen it once, they say it'll happen again. At our house I think we're out of the way, but so many folks have to "get" out of the way.

The most sensational thing is of course is the destruction of the coast from the wind and storm surge. This one's different, it won't just blow through. It'll stall and flood.....OMG. It's gonna flood.
                                Yeah, it even is affecting Drag Week.....I don't believe that you folks will have to worry about a drought for a while.... from the models I've seen, it looks like it could park over the metro Atlanta area.... some do not get the power of a hurricane.... We have seen how a cat 4 or 5 can devastate a major population....wildfires are devastating, but seldom approach metro areas... fires can be fought, but hurricanes cannot.... you can batten down from wind, but you had better run from water (tidal surge can't be fought).....
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X