Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

The folks on the WC have already gone into the Public Service mode, this far ahead of time. Because that's part of their job. That "is" their "public service."

This far ahead of time, Florence is coming. They are so sure it's gonna be awful.

I've been through one hurricane, and it WAS awful. We're a bit outside of the current cone of uncertainly this far inland north and west, but there's gonna be some bad weather in the southeast later this week. Real bad. I've never seen them be so certain of it so far ahead of time.

When Hugo came through SC way back then, that was the scariest night ever. And then our power was off for two weeks. And we were lucky to still be alive. Trees fell everywhere except for on us.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

when there's nothing else to talk about.... talk about the weather. To be clear, you're not the one I'm complaining about - it's the forecasters with their glee about their hope for wanton death and destruction - if it bleeds, it leads. It started raining here, it rains in Seattle but oh to hear them tell it - you'd think they heard Noah put in an order for Dogwood.

We will survive this too....

and then we will mock.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 9, 2018, 09:56 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The folks on the WC have already gone into the Public Service mode, this far ahead of time. Because that's part of their job. That "is" their "public service."
      Yeah, right. They think their job is to scare the bejesus out of the whole damn country.

And you are NO better. Trying to "reason" with something that is non-sentient? For ####'s sake, P.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Doom and gloomers...
        Scream snow, none sticks..
        Big wind! Maybe a garbage can falls over
        Lotsa rain, A normal November.
        Liars and bullshitters or fantasy story tellers...
        Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

Yeah, right. They think their job is to scare the bejesus out of the whole damn country.

And you are NO better. Trying to "reason" with something that is non-sentient? For ####'s sake, P.
          I love you too Stude......but this one.....I've made great light of the weather folks before and had great fun of it. But this one.....hmmmmmm. They are so certain about it. Already.

Okay, we'll see. I won't say another ####ing word about it. Not ever ####ing ever, since it bothers you so bad when I post nearly anything at all. I HATE a ###ing hurricane. It's leftover nerves, from being in one. It doesn't matter to me if we're several hundred miles away from it, I don't even want to hear about one. Have a nice night, we'll see what happens with the weather.

Comment

But the last few days have seen a delightfully decreased level of political news....
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              But the last few days have seen a delightfully decreased level of political news....
              What it reminds me of is when the WC expert gave Alabama a TORCON rating of 10, a 100% chance of a tornado. They don't just "do" that. And it for sure happened. Okay, never mind, I said I would shut up and I didn't, sorry. You know I can't shut up. And I HATE weather other than good weather.

Comment

PeeWee , I think you faked out Stude and myself at the beginning. I thought you really were being sarcastic and figured it'd all be nothing after it all blew thru .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                  PeeWee , I think you faked out Stude and myself at the beginning. I thought you really were being sarcastic and figured it'd all be nothing after it all blew thru .
                  Let's hope it "is" nothing, if it turns out to be. Dan Stokes, please watch the latest news, whatever it is. Whatever is the latest. It's days away, but there aren't that many days to escape, maybe three down there. It gives me the creeps, seriously. I hope all stay safe. Nightmares, the noise of a hurricane, howling, hearing trees fall down around the house in the pitch dark night.

Sorry Dan B and Stude, I kid a lot, but I wasn't kidding. And it may be nothing, they may all have the forecast wrong. Again, but this time for some reason I don't think so. They just seem too sure.

Comment

Ya'll sound like Brits yapping on about the weather...

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                      Ya'll sound like Brits yapping on about the weather...
                      Well, when Hugo was coming, I was 32 years old my mama was freaking out. She was scared to death. I was at her house. She was out there, she had me move the trash can next to the house, take the lawn furniture in, all of those things. There ain't nothing gonna happen. My only thought was that if I had any way to take time off of work, I'd go down to the coast that very day. I'd go down there and see a real hurricane come ashore. I wanna see one.

No, I didn't have to. That night, a huge pine tree fell on that trash can right where it was and smashed it flat to smithereens. I mean flat, like FLAT.

Comment

Here in Louisiana we're pretty used to hurricanes. Cat 1,2,3 aren't a big deal unless it's a hit you directly and most folks don't evacuate for those. Now Cat 4's and 5's those have to be watched closely and it depends on which side of the hurricane your on that really matters. The real danger with these storms are the tornadoes that are in bedded. That's what going to to create the devastation. Lets hope these storms turn north and stay out to sea.
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

This house where I am went through a huge thunderstorm many years ago, around the house were many pine trees.
                          One of them flopped right onto the kitchen......recently renovated....
                          In the following weeks every pine tree in the garden was felled.
                          Big tall trees in the forest....good......in garden....bad.

Comment

Having lived on the Atlantic coast for a few years, I found that Hurricanes are not something to #### with....Hopefully our friends in the path will take heed to the warnings and our thoughts and prayers that God be with them and protect them....
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Right now I'm only thinking of who to welcome into our house to get away from it. The motels fill up for hundreds and hundreds of miles in an evacuation. Dan and ME and Kingsford the Dawg? I'll bet right here on the big screen that Dan's too stubborn to leave. On second thought, we're probably too far away from Wilmington for Dan..

The door's open. First taker "gets."

Comment

Working...
                              X