Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I'm in FL (cancer checkup) but ME & The Boy didn't come with me thinking it wouldn't be THAT bad. Well, it probably WILL be (that bad) so she's heading inland, maybe to Fancy Gap or maybe to a friend's in TN. Either way, we'll both be outta Dodge. If the looters invade - we have insurance.

Dan
    You are welcome here in Fancy Gap .I dont think we will be flooded here, maybe some creeks out of their banks but we are 2700 ft above sea level on top of a mountain.

Comment

Pdub, My wrong coast weather liars now say the middle (eye?) is heading towayds GA, with Tennysee in the sights...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Pdub, My wrong coast weather liars now say the middle (eye?) is heading towayds GA, with Tennysee in the sights...
        Yep, they're changing their guess with every advisory from the Hurricane Center. And this will be a long show. We're fine right here because water runs downhill. Got a foot of rain in 36 hours here one time, and it almost got into the houses at the bottom of the hill, where Mouse Creek is. And I mean almost, another couple inches would have done it. And the folks down there (we went down to see), they were all standing around outside marveling at it, and bragging "Waterfront property!"
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

interesting tidbit or hurricane information for you.

Almost all hurricanes (85% or more) that hit the east side of the US originate from the same spot in the same way; the start as thunderstorms over the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of west Africa.

My theory is, if we nuke these islands into oblivion then *poof* no more hurricanes! (Disclaimer: that was a joke, do not take it seriously)

This college stuff aint all useless. It has endowed me with the ability to spout off little bits of data that my brain decided to store every now and then. It makes me look smarterer..
          Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 12, 2018, 10:30 AM.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

It makes me look smarterer..
            I think the word you are seeking is "smarterY"

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

I think the word you are seeking is "smarterY"
              ...and it takes 80 degree sea water temps to fuel a hurricane, and where she lurks, there's 85 degree water.

The regional effects are like a ripple....no, a wave. I was in Birmingham one time when Floridians were running from one. Just look around at a stoplight, they were ALL Florida plates, with gas cans strapped to the roof and all the kids and dogs inside, can barely see out. Folks fill up all the motels because they HAVE to have a place to stay. Fortunately I already had an ongoing reservation. They add to the population in a hurry, and the gas stations sometimes run out in areas that are not "affected." Yeah, it's a big deal alright, I don't care who says it ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by 67ragtop View Post

You are welcome here in Fancy Gap .I dont think we will be flooded here, maybe some creeks out of their banks but we are 2700 ft above sea level on top of a knoll .
                I'm sorry, 2700 feet is not a mountain....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Almost all hurricanes (85% or more) that hit the east side of the US originate from the same spot in the same way; the start as thunderstorms over the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of west Africa.

My theory is, if we nuke these islands into oblivion then *poof* no more hurricanes! (Disclaimer: that was a joke, do not take it seriously)

This college stuff aint all useless. It has endowed me with the ability to spout off little bits of data that my brain decided to store every now and then. It makes me look smarterer..
                  actually, they start in the heart of Africa as weather in a place where some belief that life started (it's where they found the oldest, human fossil)... it's once it hits the coast where that weather can become angry

the interesting bit.... if you look at today's map https://www.accuweather.com/en/africa-weather

you can see all the storms lined up starting from the heart of Africa (about where the headwaters of the Nile are)
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 12, 2018, 10:58 AM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Should you leave a window in your house open slightly during a hurricane to equalize pressure inside and out?
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The "open a window thing" was an accepted myth way back when, typically for tornadoes where I grew up. Also taping the windows for a hurricane has been debunked - that'll only make the pieces of glass be bigger when they fly inside. Apparently the futility of boarding up the windows hasn't got out. A hurricane is a plywood installation festival. I guess it's better than nothing but it's a point well made in that link that an object will go through it.

Because when taken by the wind, whatever lengthy object it is will instantly straighten out and become a missile. I searched and searched , I cannot find the photo of a piece of hay straw stuck through a telephone pole. I was a kid, that was on the front page of every newspaper. It think it was a hurricane....Camille? Can't remember, can't find that B&W photo, but this one is similar as far as the effect of the wind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Card in Tree.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1215250

Comment

Recently, there have been theories that this phenomena is NOT due just to wind... Scientists have reproduced the effect of this in the lab using low barometic pressure, high winds, and extreme fluctuations of static charges (just like in a tornado) that results in a loosening of bonds at the atomic level. What am I talking about? Molecular transformation and movement of said molecules - i.e., time travel and Star Trek transporter types of matter transfer. Sounds crazy, I know. Very sci-fi.....
                        Last edited by studemax; September 12, 2018, 01:30 PM.
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Have you moved to Maine?
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

http://abc11.com/weather/hurricane-f...coast/4219580/

Category Two, Meh....
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; September 12, 2018, 11:17 PM.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                                [
                                Category Two, Meh....
                                We want that to be Cat ZERO.

Comment

Working...
                                X