Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

What? Has the San Andreas scheduled a party?
    Louisiana. Postal abbreviation, LA as in NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Louisiana. Postal abbreviation, LA as in NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana).

Dan
      people in Los Angeles always think it's about them....

how is your home holding up?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

news.... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45517260

so here's why that struck me, the bbc article has a lead in of waves hitting the beach but not hitting the houses on the beach. Waves hitting a wharf, but blowing up through holes in the wharf that were put there to protect it from this very kind of storm.

and yet

the Philippines are in the path of a Typhoon that will affect at least 5 million people and anyone want to guess whether or not more will die and more will be lost in the Philippines?

sure, there's a lot of rain but we are the best equipped to handle it and what bugs me is the Philippines isn't in the US news.... all about us, no one else. Heck, I've been getting callouts to go the Carolinas with our dogs....

Comment

I stayed in my home when Hurricane Herma passed over me at about midnight so you could hear tree branches breaking and stuff flying though the air but with winds between 100 and 120 mph and heavy rain there is not much you can do except pray.

Lost power for about six day's but I fired up the generator and ran the frig. and a few lights.

Once the hurricane passed no stores or gas stations were open because they had no power.

Finding supplies after a hurricane is hard and no one has water or food for a while.

Jim Hill

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

people in Los Angeles always think it's about them....

how is your home holding up?
            No clue. We have neighbors who are staying with family further inland and they'll probably be the first back into the neighborhood so we'll check with them after the storm clears. Thanks for your concern - good to know folks are thinking about us.

SBG has a point - those folks in the Philippines are going to be in bad shape and we have insurance. Best Positive Energy to them.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; September 15, 2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
              I stayed in my home when Hurricane Herma passed over me at about midnight so you could hear tree branches breaking and stuff flying though the air but with winds between 100 and 120 mph and heavy rain there is not much you can do except pray.

Lost power for about six day's but I fired up the generator and ran the frig. and a few lights.

Once the hurricane passed no stores or gas stations were open because they had no power.

Finding supplies after a hurricane is hard and no one has water or food for a while.

Jim Hill
              In November, we usually get a power-robbing storm. Our power company does an amazing job, one of the things it does is it tells you to the hour when you'll get your power back. Sometimes that 'hour' is 10 days away. Thus, every October, I stock up with enough stuff to last for 3 weeks - the only real issue is the pumphouse, it's a community well and I cannot convince my neighbors that a generator and plug would be a good idea.... sigh. This year, I have a couple 300 gallon reservoirs and a pump. I'll move them into a trailer then in my garage.
              with that said, if the 'time-to-power' is more then 4 days, we leave.... good time to go on vacation in Cali or skiing in Utah.

hopefully before it hits this year, I'll have my solar panels, inverter and battery backup so that I don't have to run the generator as often and will power the freezer and refrigerator off solar. Also, I'm a big fan of freezing 5 gallon buckets of water to keep the deep freezer cold
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 15, 2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I live in Fayetteville, NC about two hours inland from Dan. My first inclinationwas to stay. We stayed through Fran and through Matthew. The more I looked at the track of Florence and the more my son said come stay with us (Clemmons, NC just west of Winston-Salem) the more I (and my wife) decided a move inland would not be a bad idea. We packed up and drove to Southern Pines to pickup my wife's 93 year old father and headed north west. I am glad we did. It is still raining at home so the Cape Fear River and all of its tributaries are still rising. The Cape Fear is expected to crest here at 50 or more feet above average. This storm is not over yet and though I would love to head home tomorrow, it just isn't a good idea. We're pretty much taking things an hour at a time.

Comment

Glad you got out, Joe and I hope your home will be OK. Sending Best Positive Energy your way.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    We packed up and .. headed north west.
                    Smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob
                      Any news from ole Dan or Joe?
                      My news s saying Wilmington s completely cut off from flooding..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

My news s saying Wilmington s completely cut off from flooding..
                        So they can't get to the flooding...……..?
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

So they can't get to the flooding...……..?
                          Assuming they mean Wilmington is an island now...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Assuming they mean Wilmington is an island now...
                            That Dan Stokes is a smart guy - he bought ocean front property before it became ocean front property. It's like the property I have in Arizona, I keep hoping it'll be beach property... though with my luck, it'd be on the wrong side of the break.

Comment

We're not home yet, but what we have heard Fayetteville is a disaster. Our place is out in the country and away from the Cape Fear River so what friends and neighbors say is that our place is okay. Looks like getting to it may be a problem as many of the roads getting to our place are "impassible" including part of I-95. The Cape Fear is supposed to crest at 62 feet in a couple of days. That is over 30 feet above flood stage. This means some major bridges may well be in danger. I think we are going to wait for a couple more days before trying to get home.
                              Last edited by JRoberts; September 17, 2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                                I think we are going to wait for a couple more days before trying to get home.

Comment

Working...
                                X