What's your price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your price?

I was talking to my dad today about the LS motor I just pulled and he mentioned that I'd either sell it or use it. I said, I wouldn't sell it because it's value to dirtball ratio* is so high that I won't ever sell it. He seemed to think I was the only one who made this kind of analysis - so since the internet never lies, what say you?

*value/dirtball - whenever you sell something on the internet, you get 3 kinds of people: 1) the lookie Lous who have no intention of buying but waste your time; 2) the dreamers, like the lookies but if the price is enough of a theft will actually buy; 3) the ones who are casing your house to steal stuff; and 4) the actual cash buyers who really want/need whatever you're selling. My assertion is the decision to junk rather then sell is based upon how many of each category you get before you finally find a number 4.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Lots of guys sell trim off 73-77 Impalas and several years caddys..
    We have had no luck with that stuff except 2 times.
    A Canadian came down with just a email addy for my son and he happened to look when the guy was in town.. $150 in trim off a caved roof 73 Impala
    Next sale was to Diglif (Rich, a great guy) was for 64 Galaxie parts and gave him extras! Only after he left did we notice he also gave extras! Thanks Rich!
    Another time trying to sell the P71 runner, nice motor,, ""hear it run". No bites. One month, we had to build the car.. As everything was cut out and forklift poised to lift it out, a guy wanted to hear it.. No interest in discount of 50% to not hear it run.

So.. We pretty much scrap it all..

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I was talking to my dad today about the LS motor I just pulled and he mentioned that I'd either sell it or use it. I said, I wouldn't sell it because it's value to dirtball ratio* is so high that I won't ever sell it. He seemed to think I was the only one who made this kind of analysis - so since the internet never lies, what say you?

*value/dirtball - whenever you sell something on the internet, you get 3 kinds of people: 1) the lookie Lous who have no intention of buying but waste your time; 2) the dreamers, like the lookies but if the price is enough of a theft will actually buy; 3) the ones who are casing your house to steal stuff; and 4) the actual cash buyers who really want/need whatever you're selling. My assertion is the decision to junk rather then sell is based upon how many of each category you get before you finally find a number 4.
      My math shows it being 60%, 34%, 5% and 1% respectively.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Lots of guys sell trim off 73-77 Impalas and several years caddys..
        We have had no luck with that stuff except 2 times.
        A Canadian came down with just a email addy for my son and he happened to look when the guy was in town.. $150 in trim off a caved roof 73 Impala
        Next sale was to Diglif (Rich, a great guy) was for 64 Galaxie parts and gave him extras! Only after he left did we notice he also gave extras! Thanks Rich!
        Another time trying to sell the P71 runner, nice motor,, ""hear it run". No bites. One month, we had to build the car.. As everything was cut out and forklift poised to lift it out, a guy wanted to hear it.. No interest in discount of 50% to not hear it run.

So.. We pretty much scrap it all..
        I just threw away a boatload of Buick Skylark chrome, it's stainless so has some value - but no one interested so to scrap it went

Comment

Let me add another angle: Arrangements made verbally on the phone have a 40% chance of leading to a successful deal. Arrangements made through texting on the phone have a 20% chance, whether buying or selling...some people just can't stop texting and wind up living in text-world, the real one be damned so the chance of you wasting your time are the highest there. Arrangements made through e-mail where they have to work a little have, for me, the highest success, maybe 60%. We e-mail a couple times, they get a nearby place to meet and my phone number to call when they get there, that's the deal which if they don't like then we don't deal and that filters out a lot of time-wasters. If it's an item they have to come to my house to get, we still meet off-site first (which is at the store where I usually have something I could use anyhow). I did have a guy call me telling me he was there waiting for me when actually he was still a half-hour away, go figure, but he still wound up buying stuff when we did get together.

I do sometimes scrap stuff rather than try to sell it if the hassle is not worth it, yeah.

I knew a guy back when who used to respond to classified ads just to look at stuff and people's property without any intention of buying and he didn't see anything wrong with that. It's how he would spend his day if he didn't have anything else to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

I knew a guy back when who used to respond to classified ads just to look at stuff and people's property without any intention of buying and he didn't see anything wrong with that. It's how he would spend his day if he didn't have anything else to do.
            Before berry vines hid most of our cars, mom would let guys walk around looking. "what's the harm". Son and I had to tell her simple "NO"
            So she says "my son and grandson do not like it sorry".

Comment

I've only messed with one car at length, and I kept the parts. The stock brakes off of Red. Why in the world did I keep that? Nobody wants or needs that, I don't even want that. The 3:55 rear gear is in another box right beside that one. Why? I can easily see where if you work on a lot of cars you'll have a lot of parts lying around, a lesser version of hoarding.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

the Denali is my latest at this - I'm doing a one-day-only-part, offer for the part via text, you confirm Sunday before you leave, you get the address. Car goes to scrap on Monday. There will be no second chances and honestly I couldn't care less if they show or not - as it is, it's a hassle because otherwise it would be feeling the crusher's embrace today.... but that said, I remember the days of needing that one part that everyone seemed to think was made of solid gold and constructed by yaks under a blue moon in outer Mongolia.

My theory, which I'm testing is this, people are expecting counter-offer so their price is so good it's basically theft.... which is fine because it's basically junk to me.... we will see after Sunday, though, if this works.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  I remember the days of needing that one part that everyone seemed to think was made of solid gold and constructed by yaks under a blue moon in outer Mongolia.
                  Apparently every part for a 1965 and/or 66 Plymouth Fury is made that way. Also, to a lesser extent a 00 Crown Vic and a 08 Dodge Ram.....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't sell much stuff, but I buy things relatively often. I am a number 4, however due to circumstances beyond my control, it sometimes takes a while to get them the cash. Rest assured, if they agree to sell it to me for a certain price I will get them the cash if I don't have it right this second. Last year it was wheels, this year intake manifolds and heads. A while back it was transmission cores and rear ends. Some stuff pops up like a rolling shell for cheap, carbs and things like that.

I decided not to sell stuff because of the hassle, most everything I have I actually want or need for a project, and only certain things are picked up to then sell... like these stupid Mustangs I have. I get people offering to buy my cars for $500 all the time, and they get offended when I tell them 4x that won't buy the heads that are on it. I will sell the Mustangs, but nobody wants those. Don't buy it if you aren't going to need or use it. I was going to sell some wheels on here some time ago, but then realized I couldn't get to them, I had nothing else to hold up the car they were under, and the tires all hold air, and that was after I remembered someone wanted them.

If they are out of their vulcan minds on price, I point, laugh, and move along. Not paying $600 for an iron intake I can get for $75. Not paying $9k for a rolling shell LeMans. Sure as hell not paying $19k for a 22 year old pickup with lots of rust, even if it has a lift on it. People up here are nuts with what they think rusty junk is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

If they are out of their vulcan minds on price, I point, laugh, and move along. Not paying $600 for an iron intake I can get for $75. Not paying $9k for a rolling shell LeMans. Sure as hell not paying $19k for a 22 year old pickup with lots of rust, even if it has a lift on it. People up here are nuts with what they think rusty junk is worth.
                      I think that is common almost everywhere nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                        Man, you should take a look at the prices people want for their junk here in Arizona. I just laugh. Every once in a while something will pop up for a good price but, watchers like me snatch them up quick. You gotta hunt and you gotta be fast if you want a deal in this town.

We have a bunch of stuff to sell, I want it gone but I'd rather give it away or scrap it that try to sell it. I always ask reasonable prices for my stuff and I still get low ballers. For example, I have a B&M shifter, easily worth $170. I advertise it at $125 and I get offers of 75$ bucks...screw it, I'll put it in the D100. The Weiand intake I pulled from the Fury I put out for 100 bucks, easily worth 150....I get offers of 50 bucks...eat a bag of d!cks, I'll use it as wall art in the garage. If you ask too much you get low-balled, if you ask a fair price you get low-balled if you ask too little no one calls, and if they do...you get low-balled.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Man, you should take a look at the prices people want for their junk here in Arizona. I just laugh. Every once in a while something will pop up for a good price but, watchers like me snatch them up quick. You gotta hunt and you gotta be fast if you want a deal in this town.

We have a bunch of stuff to sell, I want it gone but I'd rather give it away or scrap it that try to sell it. I always ask reasonable prices for my stuff and I still get low ballers. For example, I have a B&M shifter, easily worth $170. I advertise it at $125 and I get offers of 75$ bucks...screw it, I'll put it in the D100. The Weiand intake I pulled from the Fury I put out for 100 bucks, easily worth 150....I get offers of 50 bucks...eat a bag of d!cks, I'll use it as wall art in the garage. If you ask too much you get low-balled, if you ask a fair price you get low-balled if you ask too little no one calls, and if they do...you get low-balled.
                          and you're getting the point of the question...

I always figure I did okay after I resell whatever it is. I have put things on Craigslist WAY overpriced, the follow it up months later with a higher-yet-more-reasonable price and had them sell. The idea is seed and the perception. By putting it on for way too much, people notice it, then start thinking about how they 'need' that part but that's ridiculous. Of course, they cannot find that part because you removed it - so now they're looking for that part, maybe even doing specific searches.

How do you know it's a good deal? to me $50 is overpriced for an intake when I can buy a new one for $125.... that said, you put it online for say $250 Ior even $500) then a few months later put it on for $175; you'll likely get the $175 for this reason. Ever seen something for sale and thought "I should pick that up" miss it then buy a more expensive part later? for me, that psychology works. The trick is only leave it posted for a week then 6 months later put it back on for a 'more reasonable' price. It does and will sell.... and all the while they'll be thinking "I can sell it for $500" as they're handing you the $175. Never, ever underestimate the power of silence.

I've even had buyers say "you know, I saw one like this for a lot more money" lol.... yes, yes you did

Comment

Marketing. The Four Ps. Price, Product, Place, Promotion. Do the last two really well, have your way with the first two. Bend the first two over and butt rape them. It happens all over from the corner market to the car dealership and yup, even to Craig's List.
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              We have a bunch of stuff to sell, I want it gone but I'd rather give it away or scrap it than try to sell it. I always ask reasonable prices for my stuff and I still get low ballers.....If you ask too much you get low-balled, if you ask a fair price you get low-balled if you ask too little no one calls, and if they do...you get low-balled.

yup. this, right here. this is exactly why ( although i REALLY need the extra $$$
                              right now...) i have a growing pile of "f@ck it, trash it" parts--
                              new in box dual 14" hurricane fans with the original receipt for $548, asked $300, best 'offer' was $100.
                              a '62 pontiac cast iron T10 asking $400, best offer $100.
                              2 ford pattern `15x8.5 torque thrusts asking $60/pair, best offer $20.
                              set of 48" ladders asking $200,best offer $50.
                              new in box 250# coilover shocks, asking $200/pair, best offer $40.
                              9" ford rear 57 tbird 3.10 equatrac end to end brakes and all $300 best offer $80.
                              etc etc etc.........

i ended up bringing it all home from the 'parts swap meet', and thats AFTER i
                              tried crepelist and got so sick of dealing with idiots that i pulled all the adds.

so yup, imma hack & trash a LOT of stuff. oh well, the h@ll with them cheap b@st@rds.

Comment

Working...
                              X