The Thing About 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thing About 150

I've got Red, a most unpopular car in hotrod circles. It's rubber-stamped, everybody's got one, I'm not trying to defend it from that standpoint. But it sure has been fun. Fun to drive, fun to run on race track. And Unit and I radically modified it with the help of Superman, across the street, a neighborhood project.

150 mph at land speed. That's a small number, piddling, but it sure is fun. And it sure was close, last time out. Red went 149.7. I'm sure if Red had gone 150 I would have retired from any sort of racing, happy. That number. But NO, we have to get some more mods made, it's 150 or NOT. And we'll see. Soon.

I'm suggesting that nobody in the hotrod world ever chased a number, perhaps to frustration. And I'm suggesting that I'm way wrong that nobody else has ever chased a number.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Pull out the seats and carpet and run the magic nbr then reinstall it all back in...

What rpm were you spinning at that speed?
    Looks like a sneeze of squeeze will kick it that last .3?
    Maybe shift sooner down low, later up top?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Pull out the seats and carpet and run the magic nbr then reinstall it all back in...

What rpm were you spinning at that speed?
      Looks like a sneeze of squeeze will kick it that last .3?
      Maybe shift sooner down low, later up top?
      Naw, I think we have it now. Or we don't with the new rear gear. It's all been the thrill of a lifetime, being able to do it. One more try. My story, my question is, how many people have gone to great lengths to achieve a number?

Comment

I think the new gear will do it. Then you'll need 160.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          I think the new gear will do it. Then you'll need 160.
          Holy shit. No, the brick won't go that fast. NO , don't let Unit see this thread at all....oh hell no.

Comment

Awful lot of Mustangs being raced and driven on the streets to be unpopular.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Awful lot of Mustangs being raced and driven on the streets to be unpopular.
              Stude, let's talk about that when we're in Arkansas. That'll be a great topic, looking forward to it. But you'll have to remind me, that's the topic, lots more on my mind then.

Comment

And now you have wind predictions since Florence is flopping.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  And now you have wind predictions since Florence is flopping.
                  Yeah, that's Way cool. Can't change it but at least we can SEE it, that's cool....

I feel like I have one more chance at this thing before I call it quits. Not many 61 year old guys are mashing the throttle. Dan Stokes would call exception to it, but I for one don't see much reason to do it over and over again with the same result. Dan's speeds are increasing, he's got things that he can tweak in the way he has that truck built and engineered by him.

Red, he's just what he is. Over and over, which way is the wind blowing? It'll take two runs to find out. The first one, I'll be afraid of the new rear gear ratio. Maybe.

Only all to say......One of the best parts of one of Turk's speeches on the back of the pickup truck at the start of one of the events, he said, "Y'all are here going racing while lots of other folks are on the couch." That's huge.
                  Last edited by pdub; September 12, 2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Oh... Thought you already runt Red to 149.7 with the new gear set
                    Since you 'avent... Just quick shift early.. Torque will pull you thru.. Hp will get the mph..
                    Like Ed sys. It is ALREADY 160...

Comment

Oh... Thought you already runt Red to 149.7 with the new gear set
                      Since you 'avent... Just quick shift early.. Torque will pull you thru.. Hp will get the mph..
                      Like Ed sys. It is ALREADY 160...
                      This'll be IT DB. It's a three-day event. If every bit of it gets rained out......next year ......I dunno. It's not about me and Red, I didn't mean for it to be. I was only wondering who else has chased a number. Gone to great lengths to chase a number.

Comment

Chase maddogs..
                        Chase the 4 foot tall trophy..
                        Can't say we chase numbers.
                        You saw the pictures.

Comment

Chase maddogs..
                          Chase the 4 foot tall trophy..
                          Can't say we chase numbers.
                          You saw the pictures.
                          Yes I did see the pictures, you guys have done extremely well. No, not numbers. But huge success.

Comment

Fun will be your measure of success... smiles per hour/gallon is what it's all about... as you had earlier referred to, having a usable fifth gear makes it a lot more fun to drive, and the d-shaft safety loop should ease some of the anxiety... be safe, and have fun!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              .... I was only wondering who else has chased a number. Gone to great lengths to chase a number.

craig breedlove, mickey thompson, eddie hill.....

Comment

Working...
                              X