Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing Machine, Clothes Washer on the fritz. Who loves their washing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Machine, Clothes Washer on the fritz. Who loves their washing machine?

I love this era we live in. Call it the "Box Era". We have all these cool boxes that do stuff for us. Clothes dirty? Simple! Toss them in this box, add a squirt of this, and in 30 minutes they come out clean!

Awesome stuff. Toss them in the next box and in 45 minutes they come out dry! We truly live in a wonderful time.

Except when the boxes go on the fritz.

Currently our GE Profile clothes washer has permanently lost its mind. Thing won't agitate at all, and only randomly spins dry. Did the factory motor reset procedure and it started right up agitating, fixed right?

Wrong. Worked for a couple loads, then went on full-time agitating. Except when it goes to full-time spinning.

Ever see a fully loaded extra capacity tub full of water go straight to spin cycle? Its mesmerizing in a strange way, actually spins up to full speed (which is FAST on this model!) and slings most of the soapy water over the top of the tub, which falls to the floor down the INSIDE of the appliance cabinet. Weirdly cool.

But makes for non-clean clothes and too much time spent dinking with the stupid thing.

Remember the dishwasher thread? https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...-piece-of-crap

Where HemiJoel recommended the Bosche dishwasher to end the cycle of buying new crap-tastic appliance dishwashers? Thanks again HemiJoel.

Maybe you can recommend a clothes washer?

A top-loading one perhaps? I have seen lots of issues with those Save-the-Planet EPA Green approved front loaders.

Anyone want a free demonically possessed clothes washer?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Clothes Washing Machine on the fritz.

Comment

avoid LG.
      ours has been known to take 24 hours to do a load of towels.

out of balance. drain. spin. shift the towels. fill spin off balance, repeat.

speed queen with an old school agitator is next for us.
      Charles

Comment

Man, I'll tell you...I got one of those new fangled front loader deals with gadgets and bells and buzzers. The wife is all about gadgetry so, that's the one she chose. It is from Samsung and so far, 2 years in there are pro's and con's

Pro's
        It cleans better than a top load IMO
        It uses less electricity
        We got a water bill credit
        it uses less soap and less water
        it is quiet, like whisper quite...a librarian would not notice if this thing was running if it were sitting on top of the card catalog (are those still a thing)
        This thing can handle a HUGE load...wait...what? No, you perverts...you can put a metric shit ton of clothing in it!
        It has a bunch of handy cycles...hot steam being one of them. There is a 25 min quick wash, bedding setting, does it matter? I don't know.

Con's:
        The day I got it it would not work, had to have service come out and replace the bad power cord.
        It is so well controlled by magic electronic wizardry that there are countless "check engine lights" that stop the washer...all.the.fricken.time!
        There is a little filter on the front , bottom of the machine that you have to clean out regularly. Not only does it make a mess but it stinks like sewage. Also, if you do not clean it the machine will not work....at all.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Anyone want a free demonically possessed clothes washer?
          You know the tubs (or whatever you call that whirlling derby thing inside the box) make EXCELLENT fire pits for the desert/beach/campsite

Comment

Well, I was just about to un-recommend any front load washer-box based upon the venomous feedback we've received from friends and family who have had one. When you buy something that expensive you're for sure stuck with it, hoping it'll last and also hoping it'll break.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I had a nice top-loader with a big tub, got it at Lowe's for $289 in 2001. When it died in 2010 the wife wanted a front-loader for three times the cost and I agreed. I do the family's laundry so I know the pro's & cons of old v new. The new unit washes twice the clothes per load than the old unit did. The new unit has a hundred and seven settings, all for an old jarhead that uses three on a good week.The family water usage/bill never changed. I take care of those too so I know how much water we normally use per billing cycle. The new washer uses three times the chemicals but doesn't clean the clothes as well. I spent 15 years doing concrete work. The old washer got all my work clothes decently presentable for public, the new machine has a hard time keeping my public clothes presentable. At least the dryer is full when it gets used. When the high-dollar HE eco-friendly but not-clothes-cleaning washer dies it will get replaced with something that has an agitator.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

We will be staying with top load washers for the foreseeable future....you can't fix what already works....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Just be sure to add the braided hoses. But stay away from the ones that are supposed to automatically shut the flow off if they detect a leak. Everyone that I tried sooner or later decided that the system had a leak when it did not. You will get damn tired of changing those things.
                  ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

The cheap Whirlpool top loaders - you'll find them under a bunch of other names like Kenmore and Roper, and most other "house brand" appliances - don't do anything fancy and they're loud, but they just plain work, and are usually in the $300-400 range. I bought a washer/drier set with an electric drier in 2001 under the Sears Kenmore brand. The washing machine lasted about 12 years before springing a leak. I might have been able to fix it, but I felt lazy and decided to just get another one, which has been trouble free. I gave the drier an overhaul this year when it started making noise, but other than that it's still doing its job.

I've heard Speed Queen is the brand to go to if you need an industrial-strength washing machine. Their target market is generally commercial laundries and institutions, but they have some items for home use too.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                      Well, I was just about to un-recommend any front load washer-box based upon the venomous feedback we've received from friends and family who have had one. When you buy something that expensive you're for sure stuck with it, hoping it'll last and also hoping it'll break.
                      Front-loaders suck. Actually nearly every washer built in the past twenty years sucks (maybe the Speed Queen doesn't . . . .I dunno) . I now buy the cheapest thing they've got (last one was a top loader with a mechanical dial) . . . I've wasted too much $$$$ on unreliable electronics, high-tech, energy-saving, water-saving, "HC" and other profit-making, frequently-breaking appliance crap ,

HG is super crap according to numerous anecdotal reports I've heard. Maytag is crap, as is Whirlpool. Sears Kenmore? Is it still even in business? My last Kenmore was crap.

REPEAT: Buy cheap and simple top loaders . . . and expect 'em not to last nearly as long as mom's did back in the day . . . .
                      Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; September 19, 2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                        Sears Kenmore? Is it still even in business? My last Kenmore was crap.
                        I'd heard Sears was looking for a buyer for their Kenmore line, but didn't have any takers. All the buyer would be getting would be a bunch of stickers - Kenmore is just a logo that Sears slaps on other stuff, usually Whirlpool. Craftsman tools had started to go that way too, but were way less blatant.

Comment

i have a '53... 1953 Maytag ringer washer in my shop for doing shop towels. hot water and purple power... anyway, last time the LG was really acting up, i had the 53 maytag loaded to bring home, but my wife said id be the only one doing the laundry after that. it is still in my shop.
                          Charles

Comment

I was at a training conference...it's been.....QUITE a few years ago now. I sat next a guy from Maytag/Whirlpool, etc.... He said they'd had a visit from, shall we say, a high-ranking government official. The directive to them was to start making hard goods (washers, dryers, refrigerators, ovens, etc.) such that they only last 5 to 7 years... we've got to keep the economy going.

Just throwing that in, as was told to me by a guy I didn't know.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              I was at a training conference...it's been.....QUITE a few years ago now. I sat next a guy from Maytag/Whirlpool, etc.... He said they'd had a visit from, shall we say, a high-ranking government official. The directive to them was to start making hard goods (washers, dryers, refrigerators, ovens, etc.) such that they only last 5 to 7 years... we've got to keep the economy going.

Just throwing that in, as was told to me by a guy I didn't know.
                              I'd say this surprises me but, it does not. Simply look at most of your stuff, it is not made to be repaired. Things are plastic welded or glued together and impossible to open or there are no parts to repair it and if there is it is almost more economical to buy a new one that to repair it.

For instance, my shop-vac pooped the proverbial bed this past weekend. I took it apart, cleaned the brushes and contacts but it still was not working properly. So, I looked at the part number and began looking online for a new motor. The motor was $75, it cost $99 to replace it with a new, bigger, better unit. I weighed my options and spent the $99 but in the back of my head I could not believe the cost of a new motor. I'm willing to bet that they were priced that way to urge people to by a new unit. I should have repaired it just to spite the manipulative marketing departments but alas, a 6hp motor is better than a 4hp motor and a 2.5" hose trumps the 2" hose on my old one.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X