Whither Air Strip Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither Air Strip Racing?

Really bad crash at the New Orleans Half Mile Shoot Out.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    Really bad crash at the New Orleans Half Mile Shoot Out.
    Sources that saw the 2,000-horsepower Nissan GT-R roll multiple times have blamed poor track conditions.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I look at that sort of wreck and am really glad my safety gear worked two weeks ago at the dragstrip. Didn't walk away, but wound up okay.

Poor guy. I feel for his family and loved ones.

Comment

RIP Jeff Hagaman.

Comment

thoughts and prayers for his family and friends....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

RIP Mr. Jeff Hagaman.

Comment

O.K., I'll start.... Why no chute? The car was behaving at the stripe. Quarter mile guys put the laundry out FIRST, BEFORE starting to wrestle the thing down. 215, you are GOING to need the parachute. Why wait? Is there such a thing as a "Must Deploy" rule if a car is required to carry a parachute? Maybe there SHOULD be? I see this happen a LOT. Car WAAAY over 150 and the guy just drives it down. Might as well be sitting on the belts too, "It's stopping pretty good today!". Of course it is just another thing for *ME* to hate on Street Outlaws for. 150 in the eighth is STILL 150. Although it was happening on Drag Week too. Having a parachute is Pro, USING it is not "Street" I guess....

Comment

I for one wouldn't be at all interested in knowing I had to go 102% brakes at 218 mph on a whole lot of bumps. The first/last thing I think I saw through the dirt on the video was the car was sideways.

Comment

I can tell you for sure that the ecta requires you to use the chute if the car is required to carry one . Now if you car doesn't hit the speed that makes the car have to carry it then that's another story . We had old stock cars out there that had a few failures of the chute deploying but they still got stopped plenty safely and Keith was still plenty unhappy . They got it figured out .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

ECTA Rulebook states;
                    "An approved parachute is required on all cars over 175 MPH. Vehicles that exceed 250 MPH shall be equipped with two (2) independent parachute systems. All new competitors must test parachute deployment at 150 mph".

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                      ECTA Rulebook states;
                      "An approved parachute is required on all cars over 175 MPH. Vehicles that exceed 250 MPH shall be equipped with two (2) independent parachute systems. All new competitors must test parachute deployment at 150 mph".
                      Here's the deal from their website, the Wanna Go Fast folks:
                      • NO PASSENGERS
                      • Helmet required, SNELL SA2010 or newer.
                      • Cars Exceeding 199+ MPH require a 4-Point roll bar, mounted fire extinguisher and an SFI Rated fire jacket.
                      • We recommend additional safety equipment FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS including but not limited to: Roll bar or full cage, fire suit and clothing/gloves, fire suppression system, hans or similar type of restraint for neck protection, arm restraints or window net
                      218 mph in a half mile with a half a mile of crappy pavement to stop after that, I rest my case. Fly by night, and they've been doing it for quite a while. I for sure don't fault the guy who lost his life, that was his choice, to do that.

Comment

It's strange how rational thought goes out of the windows when safety and risk are involved. I remember the wars over helmets on motorcycles. I always argued if Bikers had to wear helmets, why not everyone in convertibles too? Would have made the Freeways here look SO racy! And oh yes now, FACTORY parachutes on any car capable of over 175!
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; September 24, 2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          It's strange how rational thought goes out of the windows when safety and risk are involved. I remember the wars over helmets on motorcycles. I always argued if Bikers had to wear helmets, why not everyone in convertibles too? Would have made the Freeways here look SO racy!
                          That guy was nearly as old as we are. He should have known the difference between a risk and a thrill.

Comment

I fault the guy . He knew the risks and thought he could get away with it . We've all been this guy at some point in our lives . The only difference is so far we haven't had to pay the supreme price for it yet . Hopefully we all have learned already from someone else's mistakes or our own close calls and have done our due diligence to get away with our attempts in the future. When I went to Maxton, the atmosphere was very cool and everyone was being as safe as possible, but there is no way I would have gone 140 on it . Especially after what we got used to in Wilmington. This groups insurance will get higher and higher the more incidents they have and the will be at the fork in the road where they won't have enough money to get insured or air strips will see them as to big a liability. Because when someone's loved one starts sueing, they are going after the next guy if their quest for damages isn't taken care of by the first party . For instance . Paul Walker's daughter sued the car manufacturer even though the known cause for the crash was driver wrecklessness .
                            Last edited by Dan Barlow; September 24, 2018, 07:56 PM.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I feel safer on the track in Arkansas...and felt safer on the track in Ohio, than I did trying to get there on the highway, either place. Honestly. Sitting at the start line, I'm never more calm. Just let me "go." Waiting my turn. I'll bet my blood pressure is less than ever sitting there waiting for "Go." It takes a lot to get there, and this is "it." Finally. The waiting is by far the hardest part.

That half-mile gig...no. I've never been tempted enough to do it. It used to be, at least, they'd let two cars go at a time, like a half-mile drag race. No. Oh hell no.

Comment

Working...
                              X