Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it rains, it pours but eventually, the sun will shine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it rains, it pours but eventually, the sun will shine.

This weekend was a hoot let me tell ya!

Decided to do some work on the house. Wife wanted to renovate the kitchen a bit.

I get stuff called "chalk paint". It leaves a nice, flat, even finish and has a great look to it. I painted all the cabinets....That was Saturday and it went swimmingly until....

Sunday morning: I woke up and started painting the inside of the cabinets....during that process I found a bunch of water damage behind the dishwasher and under the sink. Super!

So, I start replacing drywall and rebuilding the sink cabinet frame. I finish that up and move on to the cabinets again....

I notice it seems unusually warm in the house. So I take a look and see the A/C is not moving any air. I take the unit apart and find that the coils are frozen which indicates they may be clogged. Sure enough, they were completely clogged with dirt and pet hair. Apparently every month is not an adequate filter changing schedule. Looks like I am going to a weekly or biweekly schedule.

Okay, cool, that did not take long and the AC is back to blowing nice and cold so, it is back to the kitchen I go. Until I discover the drain line for the sink has a crack. Back to the hardware store I go. Some fittings and whatnots and we have no more leak. Things should settle down...right?

Nope. About an hour later the wife notices the sink is not draining so I bust out the snake. While I am under the sink attempting to clear the drain I hear a deep guttural gurgle then suddenly water comes flowing at an unprecedented rate out of the drain and straight into my face. Awesome.

So feeling defeated, drenched and smelling like sewage I finally find the clog about 50 feet in, clear it with the snake and we're back to paining...until

The wife screams JOE! I know by the incessant shrieking there is an issue so, I hang my head, sigh and go see what she bellowed about. To my dismay, I was greeted with a washroom filled with stanky washer discharge. I peer into the garage and see it's flooded as well. Again, I hang my head, sigh and wonder, WTF did I do to deserve this? Did not take long to find the washer discharge was belching back up the drain. Peachy. So, I grab the snake again and about 30 feet in I find the clog. I'm thinking at that point "I won!" until all that nasty crap blows right back right in my face, again. I say to hell with it, I'm done, I jump in the shower and go to bed thinking Monday will be better.....

No sir, nope...not gonna happen.....I wake up sick. Feel like 229 pounds of chewed up dog shit....WTF! Seriously? WTF?

The coffee I brewed was weak as hell, I feel like crap, I hate working at this particular job...Then, the phone rings and my first thought is what kind of fresh hell is awaiting me on the other end.

It is a company I applied to about 6 months ago.....I got a job a job offer for @ 10K more a year with 8 more days of PTO per year. They match 7% instead of 5 on the 401K and the dental and vision are significantly better and come at no cost to me. Another plus is the position comes on a 5 year contract instead of 3 (I'm currently moving into year 3 of a 3 year contract so things could get sketchy soon)

So, all in all not a bad couple days, the kitchen looks great, There is no more moldy wood or drywall under the sink, I did not have to pay for an HVAC pro or Plumber to come out, the wife is happy and I will get a 10% pay raise with twice as much PTO....I guess I could complain, but I won't.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It r aimed, it poured but you were given a boat . Kinda like Noah . Congrats to fixing everything and the job . Probably all the "stuff " you got in your face got you sick .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        It r aimed, it poured but you were given a boat . Kinda like Noah . Congrats to fixing everything and the job . Probably all the "stuff " you got in your face got you sick .
        Yeah, I feel that home blackwater blasted into the ol' kisser might have something to do with the cooties I have now...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

my ex-wife had a daughter (junior then high school), and I know for absolute fact that the absolute best thing I ever did for her included the chalk paint on the cabinets and gave her a box of chalk for Christmas.

Point is sometimes things are going right even when it doesn't seem like it. Congrats on the job offer
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

congratulations... don't ever let this world beat you down! We might be older and slower.... but we also have experience.... we're well seasoned!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

way to hang in there Joe - and congrats on the job should you take it !
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                . we're well seasoned!
                I'm pretty sure seasoning does not smell like that
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Leave it to a lawyer to make a play on words to totally change direction of the thought.... well played Aaron!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    Leave it to a lawyer to make a play on words to totally change direction of the thought.... well played Aaron!
                    Stinkin' lawyers!

Comment

SO cool that you got a great job. Given how much time we have to put in at work it really makes a difference if you have confidence that they're taking care of you in return. I'm sure that's been worrying you. So now - get that new welder!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X