Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to try sell my rarest of the rare 455 "YC" pontiac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to try sell my rarest of the rare 455 "YC" pontiac?

so in my stash of crazy stuff, i got a real code YC 455 pontiac.
    correct for 70-70 1/2 GTO judge, 370hp rating, gun drilled nodular
    crank, pinned 4 bolt mains, arma steel rods, 11-1 forged pistons,
    full machined cumbustion chambers w/ 2.11 & 1.77 valves, blind
    headbolts, etc...

i have the numbers matching block, crank, rods, pistons, heads,
    main caps, balancer. it is .030 over and polished crank, but otherwise
    stock and all apart.

it was a 6 month only motor, they made way more hemis, LS6's, stage1
    455 buicks, WS6 455 olds, SD455's, 427 cammers, etc..... its really REALLY
    unusual.

my sons leukemia meds are getting ridiculous ($300/week copay-thanks,
    obunghole....) so some of the toys gots to go.

anyone know leno's email address?
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 2, 2018, 10:57 PM.

Hemming's motor news, only place I can think of that you'll get real Pontiac collectors that are honestly interested in something like that. and willing to ship it from the island, after taking a trip out there to look it all over.
    Good luck with the Childs fight, and meds.

Comment

First of all call it a 455 HO. Nobody else but you knows what a "YC" IS.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        Hemming's motor news, only place I can think of that you'll get real Pontiac collectors that are honestly interested in something like that. and willing to ship it from the island, after taking a trip out there to look it all over.
        Good luck with the Childs fight, and meds.
        Get a hold of the guys at Trans Am Depot.... Might be worth a try....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

1970 was a goldrush of jumping up from 400s to 454s and 5s. Chevy won. You might look for F.A.S.T. racers. Factory Appearing Stock Tires. Maybe a NHRA Stock or Super Stock guy? Big Chief?

Comment

Go here and join...

PY Online Forums - The online meeting place for Pontiac Enthusiasts all over the world.

Do your typical new guy intro then go here and put it up for sale with pics and a price...

Shipping is going to be a problem but it might work? Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              but it NOT an "H.O."...... so why would i call it that?
              the "H.O." doesnt have the gun drilled nodular crank or
              the 11-1 forged pistons. it does have 4 bolt mains but
              the are NOT pinned/indexed....

so its a different motor. and you sound like one of the guys who wants
              to buy it for $500 because they think its something else...........

Comment

This makes it sound like the 400s were making things rough for it anyways.....

The base engine was unchanged for 1970, but the low-compression economy engine was deleted and the Ram Air III and Ram Air IV remained available, although the latter was now a special-order option.

A new option was Pontiac's 455 HO engine (different from the round-port offerings of the 1971–72 cars), available now that GM had rescinded its earlier ban on intermediates with engines larger than 400 HO. The 455, a long-stroke engine also available in the full-size Pontiac line as well as the Grand Prix, was dubiously rated by Pontiac as only moderately stronger than the base 350 HP 400 CID and less powerful than the 366 hp (273 kW) Ram Air III. The Pontiac brochure indicated the same 455 installed in the Grand Prix model was rated at 370 horsepower (280 kW). The camshafts used in the Ram Air III and the GTO 455 HO were the same. For example, the manual transmission 455 HO's used the same 288/302 duration cam as the Ram Air III. The 455 was rated at 360 hp (270 kW) at 4,300 rpm. Its advantage was torque: 500 lb⋅ft (678 N⋅m) at 2,700 rpm. A functional Ram Air scoop was available. Car and Driver tested a heavily optioned 455, with a four-speed transmission and 3.31 axle and recorded a quarter mile time of 15.0 seconds with a trap speed of 96.5 mph (155.3 km/h) . Car Life test car had the Turbo-Hydramatic 455 with a 3.55 rear differential, clocked 14.76 seconds quarter mile time at 95.94 mph (154.40 km/h), with an identical 6.6 second 0–60 mph acceleration time. Both were about 3 mph (4.8 km/h) slower than a Ram Air III 400 four-speed, although considerably less temperamental: the Ram Air engine idled roughly and was difficult to drive at low speeds. The smaller displacement engine recorded less than 9 mpg‑US (26 L/100 km; 11 mpg‑imp) of gasoline, compared to 10 mpg‑US (24 L/100 km; 12 mpg‑imp)-11 mpg‑US (21 L/100 km; 13 mpg‑imp) for the 455.[citation needed]

Comment

This makes it sound like the 400s were making things rough for it anyways.....

The base engine was unchanged for 1970, but the low-compression economy engine was deleted and the Ram Air III and Ram Air IV remained available, although the latter was now a special-order option.

A new option was Pontiac's 455 HO engine (different from the round-port offerings of the 1971–72 cars), available now that GM had rescinded its earlier ban on intermediates with engines larger than 400 HO. The 455, a long-stroke engine also available in the full-size Pontiac line as well as the Grand Prix, was dubiously rated by Pontiac as only moderately stronger than the base 350 HP 400 CID and less powerful than the 366 hp (273 kW) Ram Air III. The Pontiac brochure indicated the same 455 installed in the Grand Prix model was rated at 370 horsepower (280 kW). The camshafts used in the Ram Air III and the GTO 455 HO were the same. For example, the manual transmission 455 HO's used the same 288/302 duration cam as the Ram Air III. The 455 was rated at 360 hp (270 kW) at 4,300 rpm. Its advantage was torque: 500 lb⋅ft (678 N⋅m) at 2,700 rpm. A functional Ram Air scoop was available. Car and Driver tested a heavily optioned 455, with a four-speed transmission and 3.31 axle and recorded a quarter mile time of 15.0 seconds with a trap speed of 96.5 mph (155.3 km/h) . Car Life test car had the Turbo-Hydramatic 455 with a 3.55 rear differential, clocked 14.76 seconds quarter mile time at 95.94 mph (154.40 km/h), with an identical 6.6 second 0–60 mph acceleration time. Both were about 3 mph (4.8 km/h) slower than a Ram Air III 400 four-speed, although considerably less temperamental: the Ram Air engine idled roughly and was difficult to drive at low speeds. The smaller displacement engine recorded less than 9 mpg‑US (26 L/100 km; 11 mpg‑imp) of gasoline, compared to 10 mpg‑US (24 L/100 km; 12 mpg‑imp)-11 mpg‑US (21 L/100 km; 13 mpg‑imp) for the 455.[citation needed]
                  That is like stating a 1974 455 and a 455 super duty are the same. What he is sitting on isn't what the standard 455 going out the door got. Sadly for him. his location will be the limiting factor, and why I stated hemmings. as those that know what they are looking for/at will not be tire kickers.

Comment

Wikipedia: Citation needed
                    Rocky is just cut 'n pasting from Wikipedia ... so it is not necessarily fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Rocky is just cut 'n pasting from Wikipedia ... so it is not necessarily fact.
                      Yup, true. but that was his 2nd post that it is just a 455ho.
                      Same thing happens with every make. many think the over the parts counter bowtie bbc heads are just ls6 heads.
                      No harm no fowl.
                      The o/p kid is sick and needs to find a buyer that knows what he is looking at.
                      I wish him luck. and pray his kid gets better.
                      As that is all that matters.
                      Last edited by Eric; October 5, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I assume the bottom end stuff came along for the ride with the RAIII cam. MAYBE there was ANOTHER 455HO. If there was most just knew it as a 455 HO. It only has FULL value sitting in a -70 GTO that says 455 HO on it with a CERTAIN VIN code. All others that pay cash get a break on it. List the GoFundMe for the child again and often. When my time for bigger things comes (and it WILL) I "will" remember. So will others whose time is NOW. Give them a deal on some parts in the meantime.

Wikipedia is sure fun though. I wasn't into sports so I didn't see the "Humbler" ad with the factory exhaust cut out. Were THOSE guys ahead of their time or WHAT? Sure created a stir on our multi Pontoac Dad block.
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; October 5, 2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                          so in my stash of crazy stuff, i got a real code YC 455 pontiac.
                          correct for 70-70 1/2 GTO judge, 370hp rating, gun drilled nodular
                          crank, pinned 4 bolt mains, arma steel rods, 11-1 forged pistons,
                          full machined cumbustion chambers w/ 2.11 & 1.77 valves, blind
                          headbolts, etc...

i have the numbers matching block, crank, rods, pistons, heads,
                          main caps, balancer. it is .030 over and polished crank, but otherwise
                          stock and all apart.

it was a 6 month only motor, they made way more hemis, LS6's, stage1
                          455 buicks, WS6 455 olds, SD455's, 427 cammers, etc..... its really REALLY
                          unusual.

my sons leukemia meds are getting ridiculous ($300/week copay-thanks,
                          obunghole....) so some of the toys gots to go.

anyone know leno's email address?

Where did you learn about YC 455's? I thought it was interesting, so I tried learning more about them but have come up with zero info that matches your description of a YC.
                          Last edited by BBR; October 5, 2018, 02:18 PM.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post

Where did you learn about YC 455's? I thought it was interesting, so I tried learning more about them but have come up with zero info that matches your description of a YC.

Comment

he is selling it because his kid has leukemia. give him a break. seriously.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X