They Don't Make Cows Like They Used To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    And my favorite place is Long Horn steak house . Haven't gotten a bad one yet .
    That was a part of the conversation Unit and I had. We don't eat out. Not unless we are on the road, but we have so many restaurants within a golf shot from here.....

That was the discussion - let's go to a restaurant and get steaks.....if they are any good at all, I'll hold the manager hostage until we're told where they buy their meat. SAY it. TELL me.
    Last edited by pdub; October 3, 2018, 03:07 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That was a part of the conversation Unit and I had. We don't eat out. Not unless we are on the road, but we have so many restaurants within a golf shot from here.....

That was the discussion - let's go to a restaurant and get steaks.....if they are any good at all, I'll hold the manager hostage until we're told where they buy their meat. SAY it. TELL me.
      You can get the same supplier, but it is all in how it is cooked. A bad cook can kill the best piece of meat.

Comment

As a beef raiser for 25-30 years I can honestly say its in the "finish"
        Had 20-30 head plus bull ...
        When Dad was alive, he fed them wet COB (molasses coated corn, oats, barley) the last 4-8 weeks.
        There was a difference when it was all grass fed when I was running it.. So did the logical thing and grained them..
        Still NOT as tender as his.. The kids told me he talked to them sweetly but saying "bad" words. Whaaa? "Oh you fat cxxk sxxxer are gonna taste good when I stick my fork in your ass" and stuff like that.
        How they are raised and finished makes a difference.

Around here you can find small farms selling "on the hoof". Or "hanging weight" or "cut and wrapped". Should have same thing there.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          As a beef raiser for 25-30 years I can honestly say its in the "finish"
          Had 20-30 head plus bull ...
          When Dad was alive, he fed them wet COB (molasses coated corn, oats, barley) the last 4-8 weeks.
          There was a difference when it was all grass fed when I was running it.. So did the logical thing and grained them..
          Still NOT as tender as his.. The kids told me he talked to them sweetly but saying "bad" words. Whaaa? "Oh you fat cxxk sxxxer are gonna taste good when I stick my fork in your ass" and stuff like that.
          How they are raised and finished makes a difference.

Around here you can find small farms selling "on the hoof". Or "hanging weight" or "cut and wrapped". Should have same thing there.
          there is no dispute that calming music makes a world of difference in ranching.... we had goats and cows, both gave far better milk and far more quantity of milk when you had a radio playing classical or jazz music for them.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

there is no dispute that calming music makes a world of difference in ranching.... we had goats and cows, both gave far better milk and far more quantity of milk when you had a radio playing classical or jazz music for them.
            So, do cows and goats not like the blues?

But what you're saying makes perfect sense, I can see it. It adds up. All of the meat they sell these days at the grocery store, they force those poor animals to listen to country tunes all day. That makes sense. At night they put them in the barn and make them watch baseball on a giant screen TV. It's no wonder the meat ain't fit to eat.

Comment

Mobile Slaughter truck is a one ton cube truck..
              Cows see that pull in the driveway they head for the hills!
              Delivery guy pulls in, they head for the hills!
              Gotta have the slaughteree penned already!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

So, do cows and goats not like the blues?

But what you're saying makes perfect sense, I can see it. It adds up. All of the meat they sell these days at the grocery store, they force those poor animals to listen to country tunes all day. That makes sense. At night they put them in the barn and make them watch baseball on a giant screen TV. It's no wonder the meat ain't fit to eat.
                if someone jammed a steel cup around your nipples.... I think your blues would reach epic.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

if someone jammed a steel cup around your nipples.... I think your blues would reach epic.
                  Milking machines are not equipped with steel cups....
                  If you ain't no farm boy - stop talking.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

A butcher once told me he could order 'Restaurant Grade' beef, but it is more expensive. He said the beef normally offered to the public is not the finest quality. We have local 'lockers' here in the Midwest, and that's where people take their own beef for processing.........but they also sell to the public from their own locally bought supply. Nothing short of excellent, normally.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

O.K., It's a dirty job but SOMEONE has to go there....

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

We have two shops within our local circle here that we buy from. Burger, steak, roast, bacon...if it's a special occasion, they get our business. Only meat I can't get from them is chorizo.
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by BangShift McT View Post
                          We have two shops within our local circle here that we buy from. Burger, steak, roast, bacon...if it's a special occasion, they get our business. Only meat I can't get from them is chorizo.
                          We've got an upscale meat counter inside a grocery store here. As you say, "special occasion." Once a few years ago we went there and bought filet mignon. Ohhhhhhhhhhh my, orgasmic. A few months later, we've just gotta have that again. They didn't have two chunks that even looked like the two that were so good.

Their prices have not come down, but their cow meat is just as lousy as anywhere else now.
                          Last edited by pdub; October 8, 2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Understood.... any friends at the old paper mill that raise cattle? May try that for a hook up.... some people order from Omaha Steak online... never tried it personally...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

steaks from the local grocer 'round here are fair at best. There is a butcher here, their steak is damn good, if you pre order they'll cut you your specs. You want a 3 inch thick porterhouse, no problem. They aint cheap but when we want a good steak we go there, still cheaper than eating out.
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I can't believe how much effort went figuring out to make a bull grow to be just really tough. Is it REALLY that much cheaper? Has that much of the public (like ME) resigned itself to burgers? All I know is if you want a steal REALLY BAD, there's a lot of REALLY BAD steak in the stores.
                                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X