The Definition of "Natural"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Definition of "Natural"

I'm not a natural race car driver. I thought I was when I was 7 years old. It took all of these years and then some more years of trying to find that out. I was a wreck waiting to happen on a road course, because I was just an obstacle on the track for the guys who were running really fast. I had to pay for all of that myself, Daddy wasn't interested in my aspirations when I was knee-high. Turns out, by mistake or on purpose he was right.

I'm not a natural music player. I can't even sing on key. I want to play too fast, faster and faster during the song. I use the term "player" carefully, I'm not a musician. Musicians can keep time, but they cannot TELL time, like what time is band practice. They're all over the map.

But I found out.....One day at work, the Safety Manager handed me a script for a computer-based compliance module. He said," Read this." I said, WHAT? He said you're gonna narrate this one, read it, here's the microphone. So I did. This is boring stuff, worse than a visit to the dentist office.

So I did, and the feedback was amazing. The Safety Manager said he loved my Southern drawl. I actually had folks come to say they really enjoyed my narrative, I had no idea. That was my calling.

When Ron Ward got into the podcast thing, the first one he posted here, I listened to it. That's one of the greatest stories ever. About buying his kid the tools and then the kid used them, that's classic. I listened to that and then I called Ron. I needed to call Ron anyhow, to get our plans together for Arkansas. I said, Ron, that's the greatest story ever. But in the first two sentences, I could tell you were reading that off of a piece of paper. I could hear that, use the stuff on the piece of paper and then just tell the story, like you would sitting around drinking beer. It's all about inflection.

Ron and I were sitting beside the swimming pool in Arkansas drinking beer and banging on guitars and he thanked me for that advice. He said the next episode, he only had bullet points on paper and talked about those during his spiel. And the folks around him said that was the best thing ever.

SO - We're all on earth for some reason, usually unknown to us. I'm curious. All of the BangShift Brothers here, what are YOU a natural at? Or have you even found that out yet?

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I get along better with machinery than people. Machines make more sense. Same with animals.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I suck at fighting, so I'm a Lover. Just one woman, but a Lover nonetheless. And my Grands and Great-Grands - Love them, too. Oh, and the parents of the above.

I'm also pretty good at looking at a problem and the available solutions and gluing up something out of what's available to solve the problem. I made a whole career out of that and fooled a bunch of engineers into thinking I knew something. If you don't believe me take a look at the engine shut off system on Mutt the Race Truck. According to the tech staff at Bonneville I probably have the only Diesel out there that will stop the engine when the main power switch is turned off. Stuff like that.

Dan

Comment

I've come to believe I'm not a natural at anything . I believe we are mostly a product of our environment. I like to think I'm mechanically inclined , very patient, problem solving wiz , and so on but I think it mostly comes from experiences in life .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          I've come to believe I'm not a natural at anything . I believe we are mostly a product of our environment. I like to think I'm mechanically inclined , very patient, problem solving wiz , and so on but I think it mostly comes from experiences in life .
          What I see, Dan Barlow, is you are constant. No matter what day or what time of day,you are easy to be around. If, on some unknown day in some unknown circumstance, you should happen to get really mad about something, please take a selfie or a video or something to document it. That would be something none of us have ever seen.

You may think or know for sure I'm lying but I think about you a lot, But sometimes I forget. When my blood's about to boil, I try my best to think......"What would Dan Barlow do?" It helps every time that I am able to think that.

Comment

Seriously, this is not how I was naturally . Lots of life and of course the good Lord has given me patience and a fairly cool head . But if you want to see me lose my patience in a hurry , it generally happens when I see someone else being wronged . Or sadly behind the wheel of a car when I'm surrounded by people that drive with no real purpose. Everything just all of a sudden occurs and they do something spontaneous and stupid in front of me . I don't sufferer foolish drivers very well . And I need to work on it alot . It effects the mood of the car for others riding with me . No profanity mind you but I can get my point accross ( sadly only to those inside my car ) . On the plus side more people have learned to get out of the left lane because of the slow poke law ......not actual courtesy.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm a natural knob turner. Stereos, TVs, Radios, Computers, Mixing Consoles. Could ALWAYS make music sound better. Find a better song by your favorite band. Make the band on the stage turn down below face melting volume without making them suck. Not bad at talking on the phone either. Angry customer calls up I can calm them down. A good explainer too. Say something that sounds ridiculous then make it seem reasonable. A good rememberer of things that seem not important to remember. A good reader. Read ALL those magazines cover to cover.

Then there are weird things people LIKE to do. I like to find a bargain. I spend hours on E-Bay, Amazon, WalMart sifting through F***ED up multiple listings to find the one with the BEST price just to KNOW if I was going to buy one of those THAT would be the one to buy. I like trying to guess where technology is going. I LOVE it when it goes places it doesn't NEED to but goes there anyways just because it CAN.

Then there are the times we can SEE things nobody else can see. That's frustrating. Right now I see things happening with Solar power. Hundreds of Solar Phone Chargers that will NOT charge a phone. Little known fact it would take one 3-5 times the size of your phone to charge it sitting in the sun ALL DAY to keep charged. But I have a couple with power banks. One has a light on it to indicate if it is charging and damn, it charges a LOT. It charges from a light bulb being turned on. That gives me hope.

This week WalMart is selling 32 Gb. Micro SD Cards for $6. No real USE for a 32 Gb. Micro SD Card, but ain't it GLORIOUS it only costs $6 to realize that?

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Not great at anything,
                I know there is always those better at whatever I'm doing at the time.
                I just try to do my best and put every effort to get better every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  Not great at anything,
                  I know there is always those better at whatever I'm doing at the time.
                  I just try to do my best and put every effort to get better every time.
                  Well Eric, you just haven't looked around. Everybody is exceptionally great at something, whether you realize it or not. If you think you're not, you just haven't realized it yet.

That may be some Dr. Phil-sounding stuff, but I really do believe it. Across the board, everybody who's breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    I would like to think that I fit into that mold as well without some of the patience, but, with a good amount of idea man as well....actually, I believe that The idea man, with being able to research auto parts and design, has been one of my favorite skills....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

I would like to think that I fit into that mold as well without some of the patience, but, with a good amount of idea man as well....actually, I believe that The idea man, with being able to research auto parts and design, has been one of my favorite skills....
                      You've got you nailed Patrick. Spot on.

Comment

Thanks, That often times makes one of us....

BTW... I knew you could too!
                        "I knew I could go faster. DID, a little bit."
                        Last edited by silver_bullet; October 3, 2018, 05:35 PM.
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          Thanks, That often times makes one of us....

BTW... I knew you could too!
                          "I knew I could go faster. DID, a little bit."
                          While everybody is pulling their pants down, I'll go too. I think I'm just goofy. I'm at my best when I can make anybody else laugh, preferably laugh at ME. That's me, at least the way I think I see me.

Comment

Now you need to go faster with a dashboard full of video games....
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                              Now you need to go faster with a dashboard full of video games....
                              Well......no, after some more thought....

It's perplexing to get so late in life to say, "I've had my fun." And I'll have huge more fun in some way, don't get me wrong.

But to buy something that will just go out there and do it, that's not's the same thing. Patrick suggested most of the parts, we put it all together right here where we live.....it was just a work in progress over a huge amount of time to get to 150. That's a thrill I don't want to downplay or even get over anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X