Name That Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name That Band

Superman Jr. is just the coolest kid. He's a kayaking superstar. Kicking butt in whitewater competitions.

I think, Unit and I think, he's 12 years old. That's the math we can do, I think. I sure would hate to be wrong, we should already KNOW how old our favorite kid is.

I'm out there washing three states' worth of gunk off of Red, and quite a few 149 MPH bugs too. Here comes SM Jr. Gosh, to have that much energy. So I decided to play a quiz game to entertain him. I never stopped rubbing suds on the car.

"How fast do you think this car went this past weekend?" He said 152.8 MPH." DANG....How in the world did you know that? "My dad told me."

Okay........the radio boom box was blaring in the garage, I had it turned up way loud. I'll fix this.....what band is doing that song?. Jr. said, "I don't know.." I said, that's Led Zeppelin. What's the lead singer's name? Jr. said, "I don't know." I said Robert Plant. You need to KNOW these things.

Jr, was getting frustrated.

Another song started on the radio. What band is that? He said "I don't know." I said that's .38 special. Jr. got bored and left.

I don't know what that accomplished. But Red got washed. And that was fun. I think I won.
    Last edited by pdub; October 3, 2018, 06:53 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Superman Jr. is just the coolest kid. He's a kayaking superstar. Kicking butt in whitewater competitions.

I think, Unit and I think, he's 12 years old. That's the math we can do, I think. I sure would hate to be wrong, we should already KNOW how old our favorite kid is.

I'm out there washing three states' worth of gunk off of Red, and quite a few 149 MPH bugs too. Here comes SM Jr. Gosh, to have that much energy. So I decided to play a quiz game to entertain him. I never stopped rubbing suds on the car.

"How fast do you think this car went this past weekend?" He said 152.8 MPH." DANG....How in the world did you know that? "My dad told me."

Okay........the radio boom box was blaring in the garage, I had it turned up way loud. I'll fix this.....what band is doing that song?. Jr. said, "I don't know.." I said, that's Led Zeppelin. What's the lead singer's name? Jr. said, "I don't know." I said Robert Plant. You need to KNOW these things.

Jr, was getting frustrated.

Another song started on the radio. What band is that? He said "I don't know." I said that's .38 special. Jr. got bored and left.

I don't know what that accomplished. But Red got washed. And that was fun. I think I won.
    That's a WIN!....
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The sad commentary is if YOUR neighbor was washing HIS car when YOU were 12 years old would you have known ANYTHING about music from 50 years prior? I mean seriously we'd be talking 1917 or something.... Cultural Gridlock....
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Bobby Fleet and his Band with a Beat!
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            The sad commentary is if YOUR neighbor was washing HIS car when YOU were 12 years old would you have known ANYTHING about music from 50 years prior? I mean seriously we'd be talking 1917 or something.... Cultural Gridlock....

So, you’re saying, today’s parents of a 12 year old, wouldn’t have Led Zeppelin on the radio? Or that people only listen to music that was made while they were alive? I’m 41, and I grew up listening to doo-wop, and 50s/60s country. Age has nothing to do with the music you listen to.
            58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

I wonder how many fans of 60s surf music know Jan and dean were a doo-wop act. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unveuZ-aRqA
              58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

So, you’re saying, today’s parents of a 12 year old, wouldn’t have Led Zeppelin on the radio? Or that people only listen to music that was made while they were alive? I’m 41, and I grew up listening to doo-wop, and 50s/60s country. Age has nothing to do with the music you listen to.
                Spiff, Like all things BangShift, I didn't even know what this thread was about when I started it. But you've jogged me...

I became aware of my surroundings back in the 60's. And I was over-exposed to music. Daddy, on his rare days off from work, would sit on the front porch with his brand-new transistor radio, drinking a Budweiser, blaring WSOC Country across the whole neighborhood. Hank Williams, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn....I was 7 or 8 years old, and even at that wise old age I had a profound thought - If/when I'm EVER able to get out of this house, I ain't never listening to that stuff again, not ever. That, and baseball on TV.

But Perry reminded me at his lake house, Patsy Cline was a stand-alone......that was fantastic stuff. But it's all in the eyes of the beer holder. And it's all just an opinion, and everybody has one. We all do, somehow or another.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Our boy Sean still listens to some of the first music we introduced him to....ACDC, Aerosmith, Jerry Lee Lewis, R&B, Rock, Country... Right now, he is converting a lot of our music library over to digital media.... I grew up listening to dads farm report, then to my older brother listening to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

One of the local metal service centers is a huge, clean, organized place w/ perhaps 40 employees, mostly young. But '70s-80s classic rocks plays over the p.a., continuously. While I was at the counter paying for my stuff I said to the twenty-something behind the counter, "You know, when I was a kid we thought that music was sooo bad-ass. What do you think about it?". The person rolled their eyes. "We hate it. We just hate it."

Comment

The kid learned about Led Zep, you both won.
                      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                      1997 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

Why listen to 35 year old AC/DC I'm bored as hell with when I can listen to two year old Airbourne?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
                          I wonder how many fans of 60s surf music know Jan and dean were a doo-wop act. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unveuZ-aRqA
                          Hard to hear any Jam and Dean with all the Beach Boys that gets played. How many people realize Dick Dale was LOUDER than The Kinks?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
                            The kid learned about Led Zep
                            That's a huge assumption.

Comment

Music?
                              Grandfolks' 78 rpm record collection.. Wabush Cannonball, Cigarettes Whiskey and Wild women
                              Grandpa talking grandma into dancing the Charleston while I was 6-7-8 yrs old. Yep she was breathless
                              Then Dad singing in the pickup or playing his harmonica..
                              Me? Strange collection..
                              My boy, metal head and lots of driving music.
                              Daughter is close.
                              Son's gf likes country, always drives her car to derby cuz she wants her tunes not their driving beats.
                              Now? Some Orbison, Kansas, Smoke on the Water, Dire Straits, CCR, Beatles.. Always go back to CCR, Beatles, and ZZTop..
                              Lots of 50-60 stuff. Some 70's. Doubt any newer stuff.
                              The digital age clarified music for me. Records always had a "ker kluk" tapes had hiss..cd and digital are clear as I have 95-100 percent losses in ears.
                              Headphones blow.. Made my own with 75 watt speakers. Nobody can be in the house when I use those.

Comment

Working...
                              X