Flu Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Shots

I'm not going to try to tell anybody what to do, but I sure wish I'd gotten one.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

I get 'em every year. With all my health stuff the Docs REALLY want me to get them and I do. So far so good.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
      I'm not going to try to tell anybody what to do, but I sure wish I'd gotten one.
      Get well and drink a lot of fluids..

Last few years, I'd get the shot and then get it. Not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
        Depends on strain the shot is and the strain you got..
        Sometimes they are so different it does not matter..

Comment

I find that if I take a allergy pill everyday called Aller-tec it keeps my sinuses from getting infected which seems to bring on everything else . It may just be my superstitions but it seems to work .
          Last edited by Dan Barlow; October 8, 2018, 02:22 AM.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Depends on strain the shot is and the strain you got..
            Sometimes they are so different it does not matter..
            It IS a bit of a crap shoot. There are MANY strains of flu and the CDC (I think) makes their best guess as to which to include. Some years they hit the mark better than in other years but at the least you get protection against some of the possible strains. Flu bugs are crafty little Devils.

Dan

Comment

Never take a medication with permanent consequences for a temporary problem. Look at what aluminum oxide build up in the brain can do to you... at this point, the evidence is starting to show that using aluminum as the trigger mechanism for vaccinations is potentially the cause of several, serious childhood issues. Consider this. in 1980, 1 in 10,000 kids had downs. It's 1 in 88 now, the only real control is that there are more vaccinations - so please, before you take a doctor's word for it, settle this in your mind (while you still have it).
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 7, 2018, 02:20 PM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My mother had a flu shot several years ago, it made her so ill she'll rather have the flu in future.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                  My mother had a flu shot several years ago, it made her so ill she'll rather have the flu in future.
                  I've gotten them for many years without an adverse reaction. Sorry your Mom had issues but I wonder if the flu shot was either too late (she'd already been exposed) or if the disease was from some other vermin. And everyone's body is different so what is useful for me may throw someone else's system off wack. Who knows??!!

Dan

Comment

"Never take a medication with permanent consequences for a temporary problem."

I'm 75 years old never the flu or the flu vaccine. I'll take my chances with catching the flu. My SIL's Mother who was perfectly healthy got the flu shot 5 years ago was completely paralyzed shortly after. She's got what's known as the Guillain-Barre syndrome. As it progresses it causes muscle weakness that can evolve into paralysis. After 6 months of physical therapy she can barely get around with a walker and still has to wear a neck brace because her neck muscles won't support her head. Rarely, recent surgery or immunization can trigger Guillain-Barre syndrome (this is from the Mayo Clinic website). This syndrome used to be listed as one of the rare side effects of the flu vaccine but I think the CDC had it removed from the flu vaccine list of potential side effects.

Comment

It's ironic that people think vaccinations are an either or proposition - I'm not against treating conditions or against vaccinations; what I am against is people trusting their doctors without researching what they're putting into their bodies. Keep this firmly in mind, mothers treated morning sickness with Thalidomide, thinking that it had no harm and did only good.... we aren't as smart as we think we are.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A few minor things to say (I'm a healthcare guy, bedside care every day, etc... and my wife is an epidemiology researcher):

Flu shots are mostly important to people that aren't going to have issues with Down's. Down's is mostly an issue if you're trying to get pregnant, or trying to get someone else pregnant (including unintentionally!). Flu shots are mostly important to people with crappy immune systems, which is the elderly, the pretty young (older than 6mo, mind), HIV, cancer, etc. I'm pretty much with you on people of healthy age not needing it, despite what the CDC says. Mostly because the strain is a guess at best, some years they nail it, some they miss dramatically.

There's a good argument for doing the research yourself when it comes to what you allow into your body. The problem is, that's only really valid if you're particularly good at research or have the background to make those choices effectively. The better way to deal with that is to find people that do it better than you do, and trust their judgement. In the same way that my mother isn't really qualified to fix her own car, so she hires someone good to do it, there's a lot of people who aren't qualified to really figure out what's good or bad for them physiologically. Imagine using the internet in the 40's (I said imagine!) to figure out what the healthiest brand of cigarette was, with all the false or bad information out there!

As with so many medical things, it's a compromise. Of course there's negative effects, and they can be really ugly. But the lack of effect can also be pretty ugly. For example, if IPV had a 10% chance to cause you to have your pinkies fall off, it'd still be worth it compared to the absolute crippling effects of getting polio. In the same way, the flu shot often isn't for your own benefit, but it could save someone else's life if that 'minor cold' you have visiting grandma gets her sick and she lacks the ability to fend it off.

Find a doc that you trust the judgement of, and follow their lead. And wash your hands.

Comment

1954 Readers Digest called STREPTOMYCYN the wonder drug of the century..
                          Late 50's I got strep throat, shot of STREPTOMYCYN ..
                          Did damage to my hearing.. 18 people in my family from Kelso WA to Shasta/Weed CA became deaf.
                          But hey! I'm LUCKY... Other 2 aliments are blindness and retardness... Jury is still debating on me being retarded...

Comment

I contracted the Asiatic Flu in 1958. Bedridden for 3 weeks blowing from both ends. Had chills for an additional 4 weeks, but got to go back to school. The Army started requiring flu shots as soon as they became available, in the mid-60s as I recall. I haven't missed one yet.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

In the UK.

Should you sign-up for the new 4-in-1 flu jab?
                              After last year's failed to give full protection.......

Comment

Working...
                              X