No announcement yet.

As We Say in the Southland, I'm TARRED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As We Say in the Southland, I'm TARRED!

I'm finally running the drain line from a yard drain I put in in the last year or so out to the ditch in front of the house. I cheated and hired a neighbor to dig the trench with a backhoe but now I'm installing 60ish feet of perf pipe buried in gravel and shielded in geotextile to keep the gravel and silt out. So this means getting loads of 3/4 or bigger chipped granite with the car trailer (I have sides I can add) then, using a long-handled manual excavation device, offloading the gravel into the trench and over the pipe. I'm officially too darn old for this stuff but have been unable to find anyone named "Bubba" (or similar") to operate said manual excavation device so I'm being my own Bubba. Bummer. I have 40 feet in place which runs from the yard drain out toward the ditch and rest of the ditch is there so I'm thinking it'll drain until it dries up enough to finish this project - hopefully Saturday if the forecast holds. Hope the trench doesn't cave in!

It got dark before I got pics so I'll snap a few and post them as soon as it's dry enough.

Dan

They've been blowing out pretty well when the storms hit ground so I'd say you're pretty safe for THIS Hurricane Season. But you are on the coast so another direct hit is just a matter of time.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

That sounds terrible. I dread doing yard work out here, it's hotter than satans buttcrack at a 4th of July BBQ AND the ground has a consistency similar to concrete. I'm 43 and when I am done everything hurts. I could not imagine doing it as a more seasoned gentleman such as yourself...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        As We Say in the Southland, I'm TARRED!
        I thought that's what happens right before the feathers ?

Comment

Not Down South. And no, Florida doesn't count as "Down South" anymore though it once did - now it's almost all Yankees.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I thought that's what happens right before the feathers ?
            When I was in grade school the history book depicted the tar and feathers thing as a form of public humiliation ceremony. The drawing showed somebody getting run out of town, looking like a giant chicken with folks chasing after them waving shovels and stuff. Everything back then, no matter what it was, even history, was candy-coated.

Naw, I saw a much more recent account on a History Channel show. If coating them in tar didn't already kill them, they stuck the feathers all in the tar and then set fire to the feathers.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Had the same history lesson.... even though it was sugar coated, we still knew better than to do anything that would bring disgrace to our family name....
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                Had the same history lesson.... even though it was sugar coated, we still knew better than to do anything that would bring disgrace to our family name....
                Nowadays no one cares and they constantly try to prove just how much they don't care as if it's a contest to be the biggest disgrace, or so it seems to me.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

Nowadays no one cares and they constantly try to prove just how much they don't care as if it's a contest to be the biggest disgrace, or so it seems to me.
                  I can't say everyone, but, trending that way.... It just makes those who have "parents" shine even brighter! I've met several of those and it's amazing how many of them are car kids! Many of whom share this site!
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I can't say everyone, but, trending that way.... It just makes those who have "parents" shine even brighter! I've met several of those and it's amazing how many of them are car kids! Many of whom share this site!
                    Superman Jr. came over yesterday bouncing, "Are you gonna put nitrous on Red? Why don't you change classes so you can put tape all over the car and take the mirrors off like you wanted to?"
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                      Superman Jr. came over yesterday bouncing, "Are you gonna put nitrous on Red? Why don't you change classes so you can put tape all over the car and take the mirrors off like you wanted to?"
                      And .... ?

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                        I could not imagine doing it as a more seasoned gentleman such as yourself...

what a nice way of saying "salty"
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

what a nice way of saying "salty"
                          I was leaning towards old as dirt but I did not want to offend!
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Seasoned, Salty, OLDER Than DIRT!!!?
                            WOW!
                            that's age bias right there now....
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Seasoned, Salty, OLDER Than DIRT!!!?
                              WOW!
                              that's age bias right there now....
                              What say we kick his youngun ass!
                              We ride at 6
                              (bedtime is at 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X