No announcement yet.

As We Say in the Southland, I'm TARRED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another day, another ton of gravel. All of the perf pipe is covered w/gravel and there is a SLIGHT downhill drop - the difference in elevation between the yard drain and the ditch isn't much but it does run slightly down hill (Third Rule of Plumbing: "Shit don't flow uphill"). I'll see if the guy who dug the trench can drive the mini-excavator over and push the dirt back into the trench. An accommodation for old age. I'll still have to rake it out but that'll be a LOT easier if the big hunks are in place.

The hast 5' into the ditch are 4" Schedule 40 PVC as I was afraid that the perf pipe would be too fragile where it's exposed to the world (weed wackers, etc.). So today I backfilled that area by hand and returned some sod to hopefully hold the soil in place as it slopes into the ditch. This made me even MORE convinced that it would be a good idea to have the trench filled by a machine, lacking a Bubba.

And joy of joys! ME says I can blow another $55 or so and get another load of gravel for the driveway. There's an area that gets pretty soggy when we have a rain storm (we get 'em from time to time) so Monday I'll head back to the supplier for another ton. Given that I still have the sides on the trailer I might as well. Yep, Project Creep, even if gravel is the medium.

Dan

Comment

Whaaaat? I get 6 tons of gravel for $60
      3 inch without minus is $11/ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Whaaaat? I get 6 tons of gravel for $60
        3 inch without minus is $11/ton.
        This is 3/4"+ crushed granite. Maybe not the cheapest but it's sort of the standard here for drain fields. It also happens to be what's in the gravel part of our driveway so if I spill some it doesn't matter.

Dan

Comment

Crushed Granite is all the rage with landscapers. it's what PeeWee needs for his grass-free yard. Also to dredge up THAT mess I've run into strains of grass seed that will over-run your yard like weeds THEN only need mowing two or three times a year. Like people that like expensive restaurants are "Foodies" there are now "Housies". WE watch HG Channel and crave an open kitchen/dining/entertaining space with a huge stone top island. When/if I can ever afford a patch of dirt and a house I will be a seasoned pro. Beats paying $500@month or more for a place to park a mobile home on as a retirement home. THEN the roof blows off every 3 or 4 years.
          Last edited by RockJustRock; October 14, 2018, 07:48 AM.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            ... THEN the roof blows off every 3 or 4 years.
            But you can get those BLUE replacement roofs pretty cheap at Walmart.

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

This is 3/4"+ crushed granite. Maybe not the cheapest but it's sort of the standard here for drain fields. It also happens to be what's in the gravel part of our driveway so if I spill some it doesn't matter.

Dan
                It is where you are, and possibly where you buy it.. I get it from the gravel pit dodging trucks and loaders
                There is a feed store in town that does garden compost, but I go 30 miles to their source and get 2X as much for 1/2 the $$$
                Kid bought a dump trailer and I have hauled 45-50 tons the last month. Graveling parking areas so cars do not sink in mud..

Comment

Sadly, I have no clue where Seaside Mulch gets this stuff but I don't think it's nearby. I know that when they refill the bin it's stored in they have a big double-bottom rig come in from SOMEWHERE though I have no idea where. Sand is cheap around here (we live on it) but stone, not so much.

Yesterday my neighbor put me on to a wholesale place and I'll look onto that. He's in the building trades and knows this stuff.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X