No announcement yet.

NHRA opens the late model flood gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's different, and I say it is, because even at The Mile, you have a very few rides that have a push truck. Granted, they are rehearsing for the salt. Get 'em going about 10 or 15 miles per hour, now the thing will pull in first gear, or whatever gear, but it won't leave the line by itself, geared too high for that.

So it's not spectacular, the start line, but when that thing gets going somewhere down yonder out of sight.....that sumbeach is flying, like nearly literally. Holy merde that's fast.

No, it's not a one mile drag race, it's not. It ain't. It's a whole different deal, all of it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

But yeah. ONE set of floodgates open. If NHRA opens MORE. Make Pro Mod A Pro category. Set Pro Mod free on rules. Bring Back Pro Comp. Set Pro Comp free on rules. THAT would bring Top Gas back. ALL THAT would bring the 1320 back. Get rid of Index Racing and bring Modified Eliminator back.

But hey. NHRA has Nitro Methane. NHRA has a Spec Car Pro Stock class. Nitro Methane is REALLY coming into it's own more as nostalgia than a present day thing. The nostalgia guys don't even need big name sponsors to BE Professional Grade.

Just a few mistakes over the past few decades. And it just keeps looking simpler to fix.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Two words on setting Pro Mod free..... ALL RUN. The class is getting crippled to keep "parity" between Turbos, Nitrous and Blowers. LET the Turbo guys dominate qualifying. Then LET them get snookered on race day by more RACEABLE Blower and Nitrous guys. 64, even 128 car fields. Low 5 second Pro Mods. High 4 second Pro Comp cars. Dragsters vs. Funnies.

Or maybe just have really close races all day, yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I can't identify with anything that's not laid back fun. If Drag Week,,,,well, never mind anyhow,
          Dub, for the vast majority of the 350+ HRDW competitors, HRDW IS laid back fun. Now it can be a lot of work if you're running something that takes a lot of prep every day, your stuff blows up, and/or don't have a co-driver for the "transit" sections. But some folks just run drag radials on reliable combos, don't overdo it, and have mega fun.

Comment

....... I'll never have a car that will even do it.

Red will do it if you take him. My junk pulled it off I had a great time. They make 18" drag radials. I really wish I had pestered you into coming to Bristol and hanging out.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              Drag Week "Rules" are a joke and as far away from NHRA rules as DF's ego will allow. You "win" Drag Week when they shoot a feature on your car. The 8.50 index classes this year were dangerous. Clogging the staging lanes with 7 second cars doing weird stuff to run 8.50. That needs to be fixed. The Big Block/Small Block "What kind of rear suspension does it have" formula is SO OVER it is ridiculous. Did anyone REALLY miss the checkpoints being there or celebrate them being gone for weather? NO because it just didn't matter to anyone but DF.

I'm struggling to find anything in that paragraph to agree with other than DF has "ego." (No debate on that) Certainly the event does not use the NHRA class structure, but does use the safety rules. There were also undoubtedly some who liked picking their own transit routes during the hurricane days of HRDW '18. Other than that, RTR's opinions would not be shared by many if not most of the repeat competitors of HRDW

Diversity of .opinion, of course, makes things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                My junk pulled it off I had a great time. .
                That's a win in my book. Having driven close to 10,000 highway miles and well over 100 passes in HRDW events, I consider it a win when I get home with my car in one piece and most of the stuff I left with. Sure, that wouldn't be a "win" for someone like Lutz, Bailey or Larson, but a beauty of HRDW is nearly every competitor can define for him or herself what constitutes success.

Comment

It's different, and I say it is, because even at The Mile, you have a very few rides that have a push truck. Granted, they are rehearsing for the salt. Get 'em going about 10 or 15 miles per hour, now the thing will pull in first gear, or whatever gear, but it won't leave the line by itself, geared too high for that.

So it's not spectacular, the start line, but when that thing gets going somewhere down yonder out of sight.....that sumbeach is flying, like nearly literally. Holy merde that's fast.

No, it's not a one mile drag race, it's not. It ain't. It's a whole different deal, all of it.
                  no, YOU need to see hear and FEEL Nitro Methane. They used to push START the engines. Then rollers, battery packs and finally the present day starters on the blower snout. TV doesn't do it. Nostalgia cars sound BETTER than the new ones. More RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

no, YOU need to see hear and FEEL Nitro Methane.
                    You forgot "smell it." Been there at the Nostalgia Race in Bowling Green KY with Matt. Concrete grandstands, under cover. Somebody had left a plastic cup full of water in the row of "seats" below ours. When they spotted up the next cars to run, I looked down and noticed.....it was whitecapping in that water cup. Water spilling out all over.

That's the first time I'd ever "felt" my internal organs. My intestines were vibrating against my liver. I could even picture it all, the internal workings because for the first time I could feel where they all were in my body.
                    Last edited by pdub; October 19, 2018, 04:54 PM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

That's a win in my book. Having driven close to 10,000 highway miles and well over 100 passes in HRDW events, I consider it a win when I get home with my car in one piece and most of the stuff I left with. Sure, that wouldn't be a "win" for someone like Lutz, Bailey or Larson, but a beauty of HRDW is nearly every competitor can define for him or herself what constitutes success.
                      And just to quiet this down, what kind of trans is in YOUR Mustang?

Comment

Not that it's particularly relevant . . . the nearly universally loathed MT-82 (Chinese-build Getrag six speed). https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...oblems.928890/

I did my best to break it Saturday on a horrendously missed 1-2 shift that BBR was gracious enough not to report.

The car would be at least .5 sec quicker with a 6R80 automatic.

Comment

Just that a Mustang with a stick can survive a LOT of drag strip abuse..... Asking for a friend. (Who pays big for LSR events 3-5 times a year when if infected COULD drag race every weekend for less)
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; October 22, 2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X