Matchbox restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchbox restoration

Again, the English are nuts, but this is also pretty cool.... I figure next time I'm an invalid, I'll be doing this to keep me sane.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Oi.....I 'eard that..

Comment

I've done a couple Red Line resto's. They were in a box of junk die cast at a toy show I went to a while back so they were dirt cheap and they were so trashed that it did not matter if I screwed them up. It was a lot of fun to do and, interestingly, there is a company that makes replacement parts for them so if your 2 pc wheels are trashed you or your windshield is cracked you can get replacements.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

If any one dug up the garden at the first house I lived in they'd find a bunch o' Matchbox trucks and cars.....

Comment

Don't think he's English......maybe an Ozzie.
          Back in the UK I illustrated instructions for those truck cabs to be converted to military use.

Can't believe I watched it.

Comment

Interesting........nice trick with the super glue and baking soda........
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

An Aussie into Pommie toys, interesting. I will always remember the Lesney hype "Finest Zinc Alloy". Pot Metal scoffed my high school shop teacher as he had us sand cast spark plug replicas. He loved to have us weld up junk sculptures with the Lincoln Welder. One day I found some conduit to add to them and saw tiny ghosts rising as I welded. STOP he screamed, "those fumes will kill you!". Oh well, back to piston ashtrays and longest shaving contests on the metal lathe...
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I watched that, enthralled until about 8 and a half minutes later......and then I realized.....that dump truck is HUGE compared to a micro helicopter you fly inside the house and crash it. That dump truck could haul away all of the parts, a magnifying glass to find them all.....and to work on it.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's an old scale modelers trick from way back. Guitar repair guys like me have been using it for decades, too - repairing plastic & bone nuts, cracked or missing bindings, etc. Time is money, this is a fast way to rebuild materials. Also - it's tough stuff when cured.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Used to be the PRO model builders would use the liquid with the brush. Then you would get an extra bottle and melt down part trees to make bondo. Then came the clear coat and dull coat. Finally there was shopping nail polish for pearls and flakes Testor's wouldn't make. When everyone HAD to have an airbrush I was gettin' too old and Car Model and Model Car Science were gettin' gone from the racks. Ever think how much specialty magazines preceeded the web? Never really DID R/C cars but bought most of the magazines out there because they were SO geeky GOOD. Really cutting edge layout and graphics. R/C Action kicked butt!
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Yes, I painted a lot of model cars with nail polish. Even one or two guitars.

Comment

I used gold paint by Airfix, if you left the bottle the gold settled down, I the poured out the liquid and could add the gold to any color.
                        It dried matt but a coat of laquer bought it to life.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                          I painted a lot of model cars with nail polish.
                          Wow .. never even thought of that.

Comment

Wow .. never even thought of that.
                            Thin it down with lacquer thinner and a little reducer - shoots just like real lacquer. My Miller airbrush is 40 years old and still hanging in there.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                              The new Bondo....

Comment

Working...
                              X