Drag Week, No Prep King Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Week, No Prep King Month

Media War. IMHO DF lost. But in a way the Street Outlaws themselves lost too. The rules were stacked FOR them. Ryan Martin was an outsider. Jeff Lutz was an outsider. Outsiders just keep winning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lll.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1218596
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Of course if they had routes between races with checkpoints it would be more MEANINGFUL, giggle, smirk.

Comment

they're different things. Drag Week is for doers. Street Outlaws is for spectators.

You're a spectator, so of course you think SO won. I'm a doer, so I know DW won.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

RTR, you do realize that No Prep Kings is a professional racing series with prize money and that HRDW is a true amateur, for-the-love-of-the-sport, no-dough-to-win event?

The fact that Larson chose to earn doesn't mean anyone "won" or "lost." If he wants to skate around on a slick track for money and TV time, more power to him. He has nothing left to prove in the HRDW world anyhow.

This is such an apples-to-oranges comparison. Analogously, does the NBA "win" and the NCAA "lose" when some prep star underclassman signs a pro contract?

BTW, how is Ryan Martin an :"outsider?" His shop in the 405 is right next to one of the storied "test hit" sites (which has aided some with stealth over the years) and he and his team have been around since before the TV gig.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Of course if they had routes between races with checkpoints it would be more MEANINGFUL, giggle, smirk.
          It would be more real street. It's probably lot harder to keep a piece of hot iron alive for 1,000 miles on the street and then run the number than it is to buy a no-water-jacket TAD mill, slap it into a pro-built trailered doorslammer. and then run about the same number (not taking anything away from those who chose the SO way . . . they're putting on a popular show that's putting fans in the seats and bringing big dollars to the gate)

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

slap it into a pro-built trailered doorslammer.
            Would that be Pro-Trailered?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
              BTW, how is Ryan Martin an :"outsider?" His shop in the 405 is right next to one of the storied "test hit" sites (which has aided some with stealth over the years) and he and his team have been around since before the TV gig.
              Track Racer

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                they're different things. Drag Week is for doers. Street Outlaws is for spectators.

You're a spectator, so of course you think SO won. I'm a doer, so I know DW won.
                You KNOW I feel YOU won! Yet another well deserved feature on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

You KNOW I feel YOU won! Yet another well deserved feature on the way!

Sore because your junk wont be in a magazine?
                  58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

No hate. All appreciate...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

Sore because your junk wont be in a magazine?
                      The dirty secret is that probably 99 percent of the cars photographed for magazines are quickly forgotten by everyone but the owners and their immediate friends and families. The only ones that tend to stick in readers' minds are the crazy ones (both good and awful), a handful on the ones that make repeat appearances, some of the ones with celebrity or infamous ownership, and the occasional ones that start or stoke new fads.

Comment

Speak for yourself on THAT point. I have elephant memory on ANYTHING magazine related. As a child I was very attention span limited and my family liked the magazines. Life, Look, Time were all there. When I graduated from electric trains to slot cars it was ON. Seriously, no interest in cars at all until the slot cars. Plus in the day SO many cars were featured. Like 2/3 to 3/4 of Bracket One at Byron. Every week was like a National Event there. The "sport" was "Quest For INK". Crap I remember Reader Rides. Shirley Muldowney's first letter to the editors in Hot Rod, THERE.

Comment

Yet can you tell us what was on the cover of the May 2018 issue of Hot Rod Magazine without looking it up? I certainly can't.

Comment

Past the 80s magazines became dead to me. Got a gig with another style of periodical, then got sick and toasty around the edges. Just remember Car Craft had the first Massive Multi-Entrant event. "Limited" to 5,000 cars and it filled up FAST. Made national headlines from Shadeland Ave. in Indy.

Comment

Well there is the "formative years" effect at work. The early exposures established the "schema" upon which one organizes and sorts later data.

But the proliferation of images and "channels" (print and electronic) have devalued the memorability of particular images. Example, if you only saw Richard Petty's '67 Plymouth Belvedere or Sox and Martin's "Cuda in three or four photos a year (and almost never on TV), it probably left a greater mental impression than the style and livery of any of the hundreds of motor racing images one is bombarded with nowadays across multiple media platforms.

Comment

Working...
                              X