Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bunkie Knudsen and Megyn Kelly -- Parallels in Career Destruction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunkie Knudsen and Megyn Kelly -- Parallels in Career Destruction?

Bunkie was the guy behind the remake of Pontiac into a performance brand and the Chevrolet boss (later GM VP) at the helm when the "mystery motor" which became the BBC was developed, when Camaro replaced Corvair as the sporty compact, and who approved a whole slew of Vince Piggins's and Zora's clandestine racing antics and high-performance parts operations (setting the stage for 50+ years of Chevrolet domination in grassroots motorsports, BTW) . .. .

He was hired as president of Ford in February 1968.

Knudsen was then all over the belated decisions that pulled Ford'a street machine fat out of the fire at the end of the muscle car era. Before Bunkie, Ford was too focused on professional racing and not doing enough for the street rats on the boulevard. But virtually everything you remember that was good about Ford's muscle has Bunkie's fingerprints on it.

Rival Lee Iacocca dismissed Bunkie as "a racing nut."

September '69 . . . Bunkie gets canned. He never has much influence in the auto industry ever again. Iacocca then systematically destroys Ford's domestic racing and high-performance operations for a generation.

Now Megyn is no Bunkie. But there's an interesting theory on the implosion of her career at NBC.

After 12 years as a superstar at Fox News and a disastrous, calamitous, dumpster fire two (give or take) years at NBC, Kelly is about to go kicking and screaming as she exits stage left, but exit stage left she will because she has no place left to go… Which I think was always NBC’s plan…

Luring Megyn Kelly to NBC was never about anything other than destroying Megyn Kelly.
    The author draws parallels to how Warren Beatty destroyed film critic Pauline Kael by giving her a job, and how Disney chairman Michael Eisner destroyed super-agent Michael Ovitz by hiring him.

So, did the same thing happen to Bunkie? Hired then fired just to destroy him? It's an interesting theory.
    Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; October 26, 2018, 07:32 AM.

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
    So, did the same thing happen to Bunkie? Hired then fired just to destroy him?
    No.

Comment

Why is this car related? Bunkie is dead, Meygan is an actress who probably doesn't own a car....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Why is this car related? Bunkie is dead, Meygan is an actress who probably doesn't own a car....
        ?????

I don't get it either. Considering the source logic is optional though.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

?????

I don't get it either. Considering the source logic is optional though.
          now now, he's just a mopar fan and we must make accommodation for those who are old, slow, have parts falling off and pass a lot of gas.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 26, 2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Political......

I won't attribute this to any names. But if someone who aspires to the highest level has to compromise their feelings to get there expect them to squat and take a big poop on it once they do. ANYONE, ANYWHERE. It could be of a print media icon of a hobby they love but refuse to approach with any self discipline or reverence. Or a Car Company or a TV network. POOOOOP!
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Why is this car related? Bunkie is dead,
              Bunkie is completely, inherently auto related. Machiavellian behavior, of course, potentially exists in all organizations. The common fact pattern is an intriguing "conspiracy theory." (Cue the helicopters . . . .)

Back in my automobile service days, a potential rival once requested my transfer to his store just so he could more easily torpedo my career over something he believed I had done to one of his buddies. . In business and in life, not everything is always as it seems on the surface.

Comment

So? Is HISTORY now banned?
                Was what she said that bad?
                Are we becoming a nation of overly sensitive fools?
                If this became political, that was not my intent.. Merely for us to see...

I gotta agree with Gate.. Kundsen was hired and stuffed to stop or slow GM's rampage in the street wars.
                I remember a few pretty stout Fords growing up, but mostly GM were top dogs..

Comment

To be clear, I don't know whether or not the theory applies to either Kelly or Knudsen. It was just something that I'd not considered a possibility, even though I've seen such "keep your enemies closer" and then "nuke 'em" behavior first hand.

It could be that Bunkie and all the others just didn't do a good enough job after their lateral promotions. There are always going to be folks in most any organization who try to whack "the new guy" brought in from outside.

Somebody needs to get Ford's current "outsider" boss, Jim "Buddy" Hackett canned before he destroys what's left of the company . . . (I hope that was auto related. )
                  Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; October 26, 2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

So.... time for a Bring Bunkie Back campaign? Ford will still insist on shooting itself in the foot. A V-6 GT by prescription only?

Comment

Bunkie is stone-cold dead . . . we'd need to find somebody who understands what we want in the 21st Century. It ain't Hackett.

Comment

Bunkie is stone-cold dead . . . we'd need to find somebody who understands what we want in the 21st Century. It ain't Hackett.
                        you can't have Mary.

Comment

In SPIRIT. Lawyers, always SO literal.

Comment

you can't have Mary.
                            Don't want her . . . .

Comment

Don't want her . . . .
                              I know, right, after all we wouldn't want Ford to work.... 100 years of pushing is quite a record.

*all this is in good fun* I think Fords are great, for parts and home for LS motors.

Comment

Working...
                              X