Moral Hazard and NASCAR's Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Hazard and NASCAR's Playoffs

In the insurance business, "moral hazard" is shorthand for events where the insured intentionally or recklessly creates a claim.

Now with NASCAR's Cup "Playoffs" turning on race wins, stage wins and even minor events such as late cautions . . . and with so much money still flowing . . . one wonders about OEMs or their agents cooking up some "moral hazard" contingencies.

Back in the olden days, football teams were rumored to put on the roster players from the "taxi squad" in key games just to rough-up targeted key players on the other side.

Of course, in NASCAR, Michael Waltrip Racing got slammed by overtly manipulating a race so that one of its drivers could make the playoffs. On the other hand, the Matt Kenseth/Joey Logano kerfuffle a couple of years back greatly altered the championship field and races, but there were few repercussions.

So other than risk of getting caught and the obvious ethical questions, one wonders why there aren't more "contingencies," such as the following:

1. Clandestinely signing a back-marker team (even better one that's contracted to another brand) to strategically create cautions and even DNFs of key opponents at pivotal times.

2. Employing non-chase teammates and affiliates to "manage" cautions and the fortunes of rivals.

Obviously, these risky strategies couldn't be deployed too often or too openly, lest NASCAR or sponsors or even OEM bosses getting wise to it. But it does make one wonder whether or not the stakes are now so high and the margin for error so tiny that such "moral hazard" isn't on the minds of innovative strategists seeking the "unfair advantage." .

Conspiracy theory much?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'm not saying this has happened. I just am wondering why it doesn't. I can't believe everyone involved in NASCAR is SO honest and ethical that it couldn't happen. On the other hand. pulling this off successfully would exceed Smokey Yunick levels of chicanery and it could break bad . . . real bad. With 400-600 people at each of the super-teams, it would have to be a "need to know" set of contingencies protected at the highest levels with only a handful of people actually in the know. .

Comment

Why not? It happens at lower levels of racing, certainly.

But then again, NASCAR is not really racing anymore. Racing to me is about engines fighting against traction, and is won or lost on the racing surface. Boring is when the real racing happens in the pits, either through tire changes/refueling or through adjustments to lockup clutches or time-based ignition setups.

(And stupid is when the "stock" classes require parts that simply are not sold at dealerships anymore, and aren't available to anyone but the big teams. See NHRA Prostock Motorcycle.)

Comment

I thought we agreed to not give F*** ONE about this style of racing? I mean it's only remaining magnificence is in the manufactured DRAMA between manufactured heros.

Click image for larger version

Name:	karts.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	1219379

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            I thought we agreed to not give F*** ONE about this style of racing? I mean it's only remaining magnificence is in the manufactured DRAMA between manufactured heros.

Click image for larger version

Name:	karts.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	1219379
            Where's SpiderGearsMan when we need him (RIP). There used to be some awesome NASCAR talk when he was around these parts.

Comment

Like self inflicted critical injuries so your spawn could win?

Comment

You can not get away with anything you are claiming, other than asking a driver to "dump" someone.
                The cars data log everything, They know if you were "loose" or if you turned the wheel right , They know if you were on the throttle and how much, if you were on the brakes and how much, and record everything over team radios.
                Take the roval, they were able to go and look at the data to see if J.Earnhardt sat 100 yards from the finish line or if the engine turning backwards caused the no restart without rebooting the system? They knew if the team let the 42 car limp past Them or if the car was dead in the water.
                Just like you could get away with much more before everyone had a video camera in a cell phone. Racing at high levels have data recorded that tells all.
                So again unless you go over to another team and ask them to dump another car, before the race. It's not going to happen.
                As for the Joey and Matt wreck. Joey earned that, and the crowd Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                  I'm not saying this has happened. I just am wondering why it doesn't. I can't believe everyone involved in NASCAR is SO honest and ethical that it couldn't happen. On the other hand. pulling this off successfully would exceed Smokey Yunick levels of chicanery and it could break bad . . . real bad. With 400-600 people at each of the super-teams, it would have to be a "need to know" set of contingencies protected at the highest levels with only a handful of people actually in the know. .
                  Smokey was following the rules..
                  He just dreamt up things that were never anticipated!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Smokey was following the rules..
                    He just dreamt up things that were never anticipated!
                    Yup, He was one of many to do so,

Comment

This type of thing has always been going on. Al Unser Jr. blocking at Indy so his dad could get another win comes to mind. Countless others. Much racing has become a 'team' sport.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Again.... did NOT work well for Dale Sr.!

Comment

Working...
                        X