How to Play a Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Play a Song

We were at Unit's family picnic in Pittsburgh in August. By my standards a HUGE gathering. I don't know hardly any of these people, there are so many. All of the reasons for the picnic, they have all died of old age but the dozens of kids and grandkids and extended family members still go to the picnic. Yeah, it's a big outing.

There was some young guy there, he brought an acoustic guitar. He was sitting there playing it and nobody was paying any attention to him at all. Nor were we, he's just doing his own thing. But I could hear it. And I was listening, I have to listen. He played a Kansas song perfectly, and other songs note for note. It occurred to me, that's why you take guitar lessons, to learn how to play "songs."

My brother is like that. He won't play a song unless it's perfectly done. Nobody ever heard him "practice," that happens in some secret soundproof place.

I'm not like that, I'd rather just jam. Start something and I'll go with it, as best as I can. Sitting beside the swimming pool and jamming with Ron Ward in September, I don't think Ron knows how much I truly enjoyed that. I had lost the use of my left hand for nearly a year but it finally came back. It's a joy just to be able to hold a guitar again, let alone pretend to play it. That reminded me, yeah, this is fun. But don't make me play a "song." That's too confining.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I pluck ONE STRING over and over. Kids keep stringed instruments from me...

Comment

As the world's worst bass player I can relate to PW's method. I've found that if I thump in time nobody notices. Especially if you have nice equipment they think "He MUST be good - look at that equipment!" I play a Rickenbacker thru a 100 Watt Fender Bassman - good enough to fool most (some) of the audience. Outside of thumping around I haven't played since we moved here 14 years ago so no doubt I've forgotten whatever I did know.......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        As the world's worst bass player I can relate to PW's method. I've found that if I thump in time nobody notices. Especially if you have nice equipment they think "He MUST be good - look at that equipment!" I play a Rickenbacker thru a 100 Watt Fender Bassman - good enough to fool most (some) of the audience. Outside of thumping around I haven't played since we moved here 14 years ago so no doubt I've forgotten whatever I did know.......

Dan
        Dan....I'm tempted to re-post your song.....it's been a long time. Should or shouldn't?

Comment

WITHOUT PERMISSION...... This the only song I ever made up by request, from a phone call. Dan and David Parris called me......well, my phone said "Dan Stokes" when it rang. No, it was David on Dan's phone. They were way out west......going to get that car. This took everything I had in the studio. And about three hours.

Comment

Working...
          X