SEMA - the non-pro viewpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also from WA?

Nice pics, beats the no-caption/multiple-shots-of-same-thing on the front page.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
      Also from WA?

Nice pics, beats the no-caption/multiple-shots-of-same-thing on the front page.
      yep.

thanks. I can't imagine how tired the 3 Bangshifteers are from their forays - especially Lohnes. It was fun hearing someone walking by proclaiming they were going to get an autograph from Brian Lohnes - seconded only by my dad who said he'd like to meet him..... *sniff* they grow up so fast...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        last picture... that's Bob. Say "Hi Bob" he's the guy who keeps your transit authority's buses running. I'm not sure why I don't hate Bob, however, he's also the guy I mentioned before who has a submarine in his yard.....
        What? What model? Does he live in it? Are we talking 2 man Japanese mini-sub or Ohio-Class stuff here?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

What? What model? Does he live in it? Are we talking 2 man Japanese mini-sub or Ohio-Class stuff here?
          I keep forgetting to grab a picture, but it's a retired science sub

Comment

yep.

thanks. I can't imagine how tired the 3 Bangshifteers are from their forays - especially Lohnes. It was fun hearing someone walking by proclaiming they were going to get an autograph from Brian Lohnes - seconded only by my dad who said he'd like to meet him..... *sniff* they grow up so fast...
            Just for a quick explanation: For the time I was at SEMA (mid-Monday through mid-Wednesday, before I retired to the hotel room for good), my pedometer says I walked 21.7 miles. In that time I talked with people I needed to talk with, shot photographs, did the stock car drive, interviewed car builders, quickly went over some of the new products, and every now and then slammed a bottle of water. First rule of going to SEMA: always bring a brand-new pair of walking/running shoes.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

The engineer in me thinks this is kind of cool

a lot of trucks now have furniture for wood floors.... in fact there were even 2 different suppliers - I'm ambivalent, it looks nice but it's a pickup...

cutaway Monster truck

I'll try to put the outside picture, but this is the inside of a Terraplane - I love how they preserved the old even though the car is fully custom and restomodded.

no accounting for Hawaiian's taste ;)

front page did a bit on this, inside was where it was really cool (and jam packed with lookers)

this would be fun

I'm surprised Brian hasn't ooga booga'd this one

a hotrod with a 215 Buick and stacks and manual transmission.... yes, for the win

the truck this was in was excellent, but why didn't they bronze the alternator?

Underside of Diesel Brother's monster truck

outside

yay? nay? I'm not sure shiney paint works on this type of build

bro-trucks as far as the eye can see.... like it or not, this trend is growing

even here.... note the lower-profile tires?

liked the top on this Jeep....

this would be a kick to drive

Orangutruck? no, it's the real thing

this had a really interesting paint treatment - it's Welder Up - not sure I like or not, but underneath it's art morrison frame and CTSV motor

Santa, I need this. I've been good

this is the car Bondurant raced.

Comment

I snuck up to the top of a booth and took a few pictures... this is one of the smaller halls (not the main hall)

everytime I see a 67/8 Camaro I think "do I miss the two I sold to go to law school?" nope. Selling them, even though I got a pittance, was the right choice.

that said, I still have a title and a thought about dynocorn

on that list is finish casting a bloodhound in this shape

big truck now small truck

this would look awesome in my garage....

more roadster shop work

Singer Porsche.... I totally get why they are so expensive...

I was talking to Bob and mentioned, while looking at this car, that it's got a C3 frame under it ... good parts car for one. I'm not sure, but I think the guy who's face turned red was the owner... ooops... sorry man - it's not a C3 but it's a nice car.

filed under 'inadvertently irritating someone' there were lots of 2.8 Cummins powered FJ40s there. Again, talking to Bob, I said "if they had come out when they were supposed to, my '40 would have had a 2.8".... a female, manufacturer representative (not to be confused with a booth girl) took exception to that and was full of more excuses then you hear at the track

this brown... my goodness it's beautiful

everything about this was race car.... I was surprised it wasn't part of the Optima thing

I know, this is kind of weird, but I found several Fords that I really liked. This is one

this is another... hopefully I got a good outside shot of it.

hey dumbass, get out of the camera shot.... I figured on his 3rd pass, he wanted to be immortalized.

this C3 had all the new goodies - DSE suspension, LS7, etc... it will be quite a ride when done. It was in the Eckler booth

okay, I get plumbing can be art - but when you cannot see the motor? is it still art?

I loathe Colonades (sorry McSquatch), but this one.. yes please

this C2 wouldn't be bad

if only there was audio... yeah, this motor

Comment

Firebirds were hot ... another one

one of my absolute favorite cars - pictures do not do it justice Berlin Buick

Loren, the only transmission I saw

lots of hype.... mostly meh from me.... clean truck, for sure, but 4x4s should be long beds

the plumbing truck again.... remember the cars we called Schuck's cars - they look like they ran into the accessory aisle at the local autoparts store? yeah.... this

and then there is true art... I think this is a Jag

I'll feature him again.... I love 50 Buicks. I wish I could find one this nice... it would shorten the process on what I'm building

you think my rotors are big? this is like 18"

had a nice chat with the person at the booth - she's apparently a friend of Chad, though by the time that came up in the conversation it would have been weird to say "who are you?" We talked about Danny Popp's car that's in the background

The black c2 from before.... I can never figure out how these pictures store or download so there is some out of sequence stuff

according to some random guy next to the truck, this is a truck you can find in Mexico - thought it was neat

I like this overland trailer idea.... small footprint, but plenty of room for one or two

Bob is a Dennis Gage fan. Bob is not a morning person. I saw Dennis Gage twice, Bob was not happy with Aaron. Aaron called Bob both times, this, the second time, was success

repeat after me "I will not put an LS in a Buick wagon"

maybe

This makes Germans cry. Then they find out it's fiberglass, but before they see LS7 and the tears commence. Well played Kindigit

Every morning at 9 am, they send a loud car or three out into the skid lot. Day 2 was AC Cobras. Day one was a Mustang that was wonderfully loud. Day 3 and Day 4 were a hodgepodge of trophy trucks and cars....

shop truck made of spares by Speed is the new Black

loved this one too....

I must admit that I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything new for this generation of C10s

that trailer again

Comment

more Buick

more Cobra action

number 3

my educated guess is the blue car is a 427, the green/white a 302, and #3 a new 5.0. The 427 was having issues with dropping a cylinder... still, it sounded the best.

and I still would love to have this bug or 1/2 his skills

another c10

Comment

Meaningful if short comments from a guy who has built a few cool cars himself, nice. I vote for the VW w/ the Buick stuff, loved it in Hot Rod.

Comment

I figure that if something is unclear or needs more - that people can ask.

It's funny, though, I've been pondering whether or not I want to display at SEMA and leaning towards no. What I do now is fun, I don't have to worry about irritating sponsors when I blog, I don't have to spend months of sleepless nights trying to get stuff done in time, and if I want to hold onto the car for a bit longer - I can... independence is a wonderful thing that I'm loathe to give up.

As for the first picture... oops. I went to the Velocity, now whatever-they-call-it-now-that-is-so-exciting-that-I-couldn't-careless. All the pictures of it turned out washed out because I didn't bring my telephoto lens that day... what I did find interesting was there are two types who do TV - ones that are doing it for the love of it in the same reason I blog, and others that are in it for something. I won't say which is negative, but Finnegan is one of those who I think does it and is surprised they pay him for it....

Comment

I figure that if something is unclear or needs more - that people can ask.

It's funny, though, I've been pondering whether or not I want to display at SEMA and leaning towards no. What I do now is fun, I don't have to worry about irritating sponsors when I blog, I don't have to spend months of sleepless nights trying to get stuff done in time, and if I want to hold onto the car for a bit longer - I can... independence is a wonderful thing that I'm loathe to give up.
                          Plus you get to take your stuff out and hammer on it with no worries.... All that 4x4 stuff!

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

the one driving this Cobra was getting it done. The others would have been a great show, except this guy made them look like punks....

the LS powered Merc

I still want to build a 427 Cobra... this one only made the want higher

more 50 buick

11,000 is the cost of just the suspension under the rear of this C3

better picture of the folks from Iron Resurrection

why are all of my 4x4 loves rust buckets? dynacorn is, IIRC, repopping these bodies now

the master wheeler dealer with the UK imposters ;)

my dad has a truck like this - only way uglier - but the look is starting to grow on me

Bangshift's patron Saints....

I'm still not to the point that I like Rivies but this one certainly moved the marker

simple, clean, functional.

for those wondering about the Finnegan scoop - here it is

more of his car

see the scoop in front of the rear tire? those were usually covered with rock-protection-panels. I thought that change was a really clever way to get cooling to the rear brakes

my favorite Optima car

F-bomb, now with new motor and concours paint job

I dunno why that makes me sad, but it does.... nice car for certain and I'd love to have it, but it (my opinion) has lost its gritty appeal.

Comment

Thanks for the pics and the commentary . Lots more interesting than a bunch of pics out up on a page and just outside shots . If its worth shutting a pic of and your doing it for thousands of people it's worth 3 . Outside 3/4 angle from the front / back , inside , and special interest like suspension or engine .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                                Thanks for the pics and the commentary . Lots more interesting than a bunch of pics out up on a page and just outside shots . If its worth shutting a pic of and your doing it for thousands of people it's worth 3 . Outside 3/4 angle from the front / back , inside , and special interest like suspension or engine .
                                yep, it's why they get paid the big bucks. At SEMA there would be the additional issue of nose-pickers in the middle of the shot. It would take hours more to try to get those shots. That GTO I pictured before, I have another picture where two others moved in front then just stood there.... I have a meme that I'm preparing for them

Comment

Working...
                                X