Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son's 85 vette . Well that didn't last long .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like we have center bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	1220364
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      Looks like we have center bolts.

Name:	
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	1220364
      90 Suburban too..

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

You're starting to sound like me.....IF I can accomplish "X", then I can do "Y" before moving onto something else.....and somehow every time I think I've gotten "X" done and start on "Y", "X" needs more attention. It seems like an old country song, "Three steps forward and two steps back." It's a viscous merry-go-round of need-to-get-done.
        You have my life pegged for sure . I kind of jumped from one hot job to another on 4 or 5 cars all summer . And not just one job on each . Like this white vette . It got a slave cylinder for the clutch , then a timing chain then a master for the clutch . And then when I thought we were done with it for awhile …….3 months ago he ran it out of oil taking it for a 100 mile one way road trip to French Lick Indiana .Then a few things on the trailblazer . Cam position sensor , couple of ball joints , and a tie rod end .Probably three things on the blue vette and I'll leave the pity party at that .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Couple pics of the progress today . If you tap on the blue square with the 5 , all 5 photos can be seen.

Name:	
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	1220386

Name:	
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	1220387

Name:	
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	1220388

Name:	
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	1220389

Name:	
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	1220390
          Last edited by Dan Barlow; November 5, 2018, 07:57 PM.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Not alot of progress in the last couple of days . I was taking off the accessories of the front of the diner engine and had the upper bolt on the left side of the water pump snap off . And while it broke off about 1/3 of an inch out of the block it continued to escalate from there . Tried welding on a nut but it kept coming loose when turning it with a wrench . Then that seemed to harden the bolt . Then a small drill broke off in the center of the bolt . I tried multiple drill after that thinking eventually I could get past it . In that vein of thinking I went to harbor freight and bought about $25 worth of drills but after 4 had to concede that was only making me tired and depressed. Then I got as n idea . Could I use my cheap harbor freight dremel type tool find some pointy stones and grind , at least the end of the drill out . I tested it on one of my wore out drills and it ground a divot into it so .........that's whst I'll do if it takes me all day . Here's my progress . It looks so much better than last night !
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Those CAN be frustrating!

Dan

Comment

It took all day but I did get half the hole cleaned out .Really afraid to do much else with it as I'm thing a tap will break off . Should be good enough for one out of 4 water pump bolts .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Yep , tuned port planning on keeping it that way . Hoping a 87 tip will fit the heads . Just checked with the previous owner it's a 94 engine.
                  If worse comes to worst, you could put the aluminum heads and intake off of the vette on the truck short block....would give a compression boost as well IIRC!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I don't think the aluminum heads happened 'til mid-86, and then they didn't have the EGR ports, which I only know from having an old pair out in the stash.

A few years back I talked to someone at a shop that specialized in TPI's back in the day (did you ever think you'd get nostalgic over some particular modern F.I. system?) and he gave me a fantastic amount of information in a couple minutes regarding subsystems and swapping...it would sure be nice to find that guy again.

Comment

My mistake.... didn't remember that... you are more than likely correct.... I just remember that the tbi had the canted intake bolts in the center
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        the big limiter on TPI motor is the TPI, even the big ones don't flow that much air.... my suggestion is low-buck because no one wants those parts anymore because there's a lot better out there but if he keeps the TPI then it would maximize what he's got. It's exactly the combo in my dad's 86 - and it runs well, butt dyno says 325-350 hp.
                        WOW , that's pretty amazing out of a intake that really can't flow air well after 4600 rpm .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I test fitted the 85 intake on it since it and the heads both had the same number of bolt hole bolt holes . (
                          where as the vortecs only have I think 8 . I do have the oldest sons carburetor intake for vortec heads in the garage so if I'm wrong on the number I'll admit it .) It didn't work . There are two newer intakes that will actuallyl fit . We are going with the 86 1/2 to 89 just because I feel there would be less changes needed . I think we are going to need to delete the 9th injector for cold weather start ups . Hope that doesn't bite me in the butt .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Buy him a can of starting fluid just in case
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              Buy him a can of starting fluid just in case
                              Or two batteries!

Comment

1.Drilled out bolt hole , holding its specific a/c carrying bolt .
                                2. Engine clean as a whistle in the intake and top of the heads. ( I didn't photograph the heads )
                                3. Engine installed in the car .
                                4. Now I just have to put it all back together . ( trans and overdrive still under the car on a floor jack )
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X