They made me an offer I could not refuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They made me an offer I could not refuse

I left one position for another a few weeks ago. Pay got bumped up about 10k a year and I got more PTO. A buddy contacted me about a position where he works a few days ago. I sent my resume and got a call right away. The offer was way too good so I took it. My salary will jump about 20K a year. The down side I am giving up my nice cushy office gig, day light hours and air conditioning in the summer. I'll be going back to aircraft maintenance working on the A10's here. I'll be outside, it'll be hot and stinky and I'll be sore every day but, I miss it and I can't wait to get back out there. First day is the 30th.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Best of luck! MONEY MONEY MONEY (think the old MOTOWN hit).

Dan

Comment

For some reason, I think that's just what you need....good luck, have fun, and stay dirty!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

30K raise in one year , that's life changing . Congrats !
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Don’t be fooled, they just want you for your body.

Seriously, congrats man.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Some of us are just worth more when working with our hands. At the aerospace shop I worked at for awhile I refused again and again to move to an office where I knew I'd just doze off, and at those times I ran out of challenge out in the shop I applied my effort toward showing and teaching others. I think at the end they'd seen the light. (I moved on for unrelated reasons.) Plus the activity is good for you.

Comment

Awesome ! best of luck .

Comment

Sounds great ... I missed the hands-on work in the field, when I moved up to management in the office.

Comment

Loren has it right....I worked for the Army as a civil servant back in the 1980s, and I did fine as long as I was working on equipment. They put me in a management role, I quit after a few months.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Congrats Joe!!! Cool beans, and MORE beans, too!
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Congratulations! Good that you get more dollars for doing what you like. I think such opportunities like that don't come around much anymore.
                      Last edited by JRoberts; November 9, 2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        Congratulations! Good that you get more dollars for doing what you like. I think such opportunities like that don't come around much anymore.
                        I haven't had the opportunity to meet Joe yet in person. But from what we've seen here he's very talented and very resilient. And I do believe that all good things come to folks who deserve it.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Thank all,

I moved out of maintenance in 2010 when I was still active duty. That's when it all stopped being fun and became a chore. The Mrs. was a bit upset that I might be working off shifts and longer hours but in the end she gets it. I have never felt so useless in my life as I have since I got bumped into management roles and office jobs. I leave exhausted every day because there is no mental stimulation, no challenges. This is a new aircraft to me. I was a C-130 TT56 and 54H60-117 engine and prop guru when I was in, the GE TF34 is a whole 'nuther animal but I have some working knowledge of its design and operation and I tend to pick up on mechanical stuff PDQ so I don't think it will be too difficult a transition.

I know a lot of the people that are employed there, we all have worked together in some fashion or another in the Air Force so being uncomfortable in a new work center should be a non-issue as well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                          X