No announcement yet.

Andy's a Math Wiz Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer the voodoo approach that top speed is simple HP vs. Aero and Rolling resistance. There is much about Vehicle Dynamics STILL not yet understood. It goes back to the 80s when Reher Morrison and Shepard started making money going Pro Stock they invested a ton in chassis dynos designed to simulate a 1/4 mile pass. They would see gains on the dynos and losses on the track. They ended up building a track but not clearing out enough trees.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Andy, Go Pro has a handlebar mount that my kids use in their derby cars.. They mount it to a piece of taped over all thread and does not shake miuch.
      It will buzz out in N.. Not too sure where you would find a handlebar on a Hell Cat Rear view mirror stalk?

I'm called Deaf Bob in the derby world here and facebook will NOT let me use that name..

Comment

After seeing Andy run, I still sort of think I want a Hellcat. But we've got lots of wheels already. That Hellcat, for our purposes, would be good for only one thing - The Mile. Limited application. Though Andy's sure had a lot of other fun with it.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's versatile - 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1 mile, groceries, hauling mulch from Home Depot, autocross, Power Tour, roll racing ......

See frame of reference for the long return at Blytheville, and cars with chutes.

After this I knew how bad the cheapo headrest mount was, so I tried to stabilise it further for Blytheville with a monopod leg that was not successful.

Last edited by Red_Kitty; November 11, 2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Andy - I made a mount for Mutt that works pretty well with a hose clamp and a little scrap of metal that I welded a 1/4/20 bolt onto. I just tighten the hose clamp down on a roll cage tube. I realize the Kitty doesn't have tubes but I'll wager you can come up with some place to use something similar. Or when you come to Coastal NC we'll gin something up (love to have you).

Great to see Milan - haven't been on that track for 15 years now.

Dan

Comment

I use the GoPro suction cup mount on the windshield. I've also got the mount on the shark bar (should be a roll cage) behind the seats. That one's rock solid but there are two issues with it. I used it quite a lot on road courses but I gave up on it. I have to completely slack the shoulder belts to be able to reach back there and turn it on. And then depending upon the lighting, sun angle etc., it usually makes a gorgeous video of the interior of the car, like the windshield is the end of the world. Nothing beyond that.

Comment

The GoPro was a loaner for this event from a mountain-biking co-worker, who bought the headrest mount for track days and found out that it wasn't very stable on his Golf either. However, he had it mounted on the passenger seat which can move around a bit if empty. I tried moving it to the driver's seat for the test at Milan, which was a small improvement but not much in terms of seat stability, and gave a good view of the speedo through the steering wheel.

I recorded a dozen runs or so at Blytheville but then decided that they were all going to look pretty much the same and the memory card would be full quickly, at the rate I was making runs. Also, his mount was using a waterproof enclosure so no way to keep a permanent power feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
                  no way to keep a permanent power feed.
                  I don't mean a hardline connection, i mean you can charge it between runs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010393.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1220969

Comment

It won't let me edit that post. From what I've observed, the charge time on a GoPro is just about exactly 1:1. If you run it 3 minutes, it'll take more or less 3 minutes to get it back to full charge. At the rate/frequency at which you were running, the camera would have run down anyway. Not enough time to charge it. You made us all dizzy, watching you go by.

Comment

Hey Andy, Deaf Bob sent an image here to Weeville. I believe you should consider these modifications to Hellkitty. I see speed, even more speed.

Name:	Hotrod dodge.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1220987

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        Deaf Bob sent an image here to Weeville. I believe you should consider these modifications to Hellkitty.
                        I should give you both an infraction !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I should give you both an infraction !
                          I NEED one - PLEASE infract me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            Hey Andy, Deaf Bob sent an image here to Weeville. I believe you should consider these modifications to Hellkitty. I see speed, even more speed.

Name:	Hotrod dodge.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1220987
                            So, do you think those are aerodynamic vortex generators then? I have something like that already, to condition my fuel and improve my gas mileage 25%.

Comment

The name is Bond, James Bond
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; November 12, 2018, 06:33 PM.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I used that line once, while in college, in a bar in Gulf Shores Alabama on a summer vacation. The response was "Pleased to meet you, James...."

Comment

Working...
                                X