No announcement yet.

Who's Been to Arkansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That could be a home FM receiver, amp and speakers? There is a generator at the start line?

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
      A timely heads-up in the local paper a couple of weeks before the next event could help with spectators and local participants.
      The word will get out ... what was this, only the third event there ?

Comment

And I'm contrare. If it's a speed event, if you want to see somebody go by doing 200 MPH, that's at the time trap. That's where the speed and the noise is.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

NHRA has got a great "little" big screen that rides on a two wheel trailer. Really bright. In use since the late 80s.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Specs... In derby at some tracks you can stand at the "mole hills" that mark the track, others have big berms.
            Common to both barriers? IDIOTS THAT DO NOT RUN FROM A CAR HEADING TOWARDS YOU!
            I like the chutes at fairgrounds that also have rodeos. Barriers plus 2 layers of pipe fencing.

For folks watching that do not know/understand cars and speed will get hit...

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              NHRA has got a great "little" big screen that rides on a two wheel trailer. Really bright. In use since the late 80s.
              PA first. But we have to set it up somewhere.

And I think you're still stuck in NHRA. That's a confined space. From the viewer standpoint, it's easy enough to just turn your head from anywhere at land speed. Look, that car is going really fast. You do get that at the start line, it's amazing how quick the fast cars disappear from sight. And then you wonder how fast they went without some data to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                And I'm contrare. If it's a speed event, if you want to see somebody go by doing 200 MPH, that's at the time trap. That's where the speed and the noise is.
                Agree that the finish is a bigger spectacle, but also more challenging to manage uninformed spectators and the their children.

At the 1/2 mile event I did this summer the spectator area was 100 yards behind the flight line with metal barriers, and pit crew viewing at the start line.

However, no PA system or radio meant spectators had no idea what was happening.
                Last edited by Red_Kitty; November 17, 2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Even on the Half Mile the sound was very cool on the broadcast feed. I have already given up on getting thousands of people to Blytheville Arkansas on a cold windy day. SO on the live stream there was noise when the cars took off, then very little noise because no cameras at half track, then a rising crescendo of noise as they barreled into the range of the finish line camera and mic. I think it would still add to the experience to hear that LOUD at the starting line.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    LOUD at the starting line.
                    Okay. I have unidirectional mics and omnidirectional mics. If we DID set the PA up at the start line (generator required) there would be no reason I couldn't set up a mic or three on the ground and turn that channel WAY up, to even exaggerate the sound. With enhanced bass. Provided I set it out of the way so Steve Stupp wouldn't trip over it or the wires.

And I still haven't asked permission to even do this. This is a brainstorming/barnstorming session but I'm loving the idea.

Comment

I think at the north end of the runway.....Andy's idea, an FM receiver wired in, the broadcast signal is so weak, so frail.....that's not what you want to push through 200 watts and big cabinets for effect.

Comment

I had a good FM signal in my car at the start line. It was poor by the portajohn, but improved significantly as I made the turn past the 5-lane staging area.

on that basis a regular indoor FM antenna would be OK

Comment

Just a quick refresher......

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
                            I had a good FM signal in my car at the start line. It was poor by the portajohn, but improved significantly as I made the turn past the 5-lane staging area.

on that basis a regular indoor FM antenna would be OK
                            OK. We're staking a lot on this, my effort at least. That's gonna lead the crowd to the start line. Stude followed me to the staging area on Saturday morning. The lady there before the cones, I asked her, The guy behind me is here to watch and to run a camera. Where should he park? Well, over by the portajohn. Stay to the right.

I didn't know that. As many events as I have participated in, how come I didn't know that? It's not obvious, it's just not spectator driven. Nothing is marked, go THIS way....etc. If we are to attempt to make it be a spectator sport, there's lots more work to be done. I'm more than willing and I have nothing but time. A cause. It may fail, but there are some huge gaps as it is right now. The bigger question is, do we even want spectators or not? I'm at the point that I should absolutely contact the Strupps and have this conversation in real time. I have now become a resource.
                            Last edited by pdub; November 17, 2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              I'm at the point that I should absolutely contact the Strupps and have this conversation in real time.
                              Yep.

Comment

As a spectator for one day, I can tell you the biggest problem to viewing the racers was the soybeans...
                                Also, Ron's broadcast was very hit or miss - fading in and out, and I wasn't more than 200 feet from the trailer.
                                As I drove around the base - my radio jumped back and forth from Ron, to a gospel broadcast, to silence.
                                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                                X