The Arkansas Bug Mystery Solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arkansas Bug Mystery Solved

Stude and I were yakking it over on email ..... Andy questioned it, I did too. What kind of bug does it take to make a foot-wide splatter on the windshield when you're going 150 mph? Some kind of a huge bug, a big one. Green, for the most part. But guts altogether. Well, guts apart.

This is a re-post, but here it is. Stude shot this quick video - Warning - PROFANITY.....the camera that I have is impossible to work with in the sunshine but Stude did a remarkable job. Just listen, listen to the soundtrack before, during and after Red goes by. It's crickets in the grass. Crickets or grasshoppers. Yes, they are there. How they get out onto the runway at windshield level is beyond me, but that's what it is. That's what it was.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

That's it, it's over, I'm done. I've never been scared in the car, not on road courses, not at land speed. Never been scared. Never scared myself.

I asked Stude directly at the track, please make this video for me, I've never seen Red go by. It's been over a month......I finally really watched it. That's scary as hell. The look through the windshield is one thing, fearless. Seeing what's actually happening is another thing. That's too damned fast. I hate I saw that but I'm glad I did.

I'm done. No more for me. 152 is fast enough. Not a whole lot of folks have done that. I'm officially scared. Permanently. If only I had not seen that view. Thank you Stude. You probably saved my life. And you saw me make my last run. You were there.

Comment

Aww come on Peewee, looked like you were out for a Sunday drive without Live PD. Impressive
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

They were grasshoppers. Giant, mutant, radioactive, soybean-fed grasshoppers.

One time I stopped at the timing trailer, I took a look at my front bumper and found a live one hanging onto the intercooler intake grille. I gave it a poke and it hopped off.

Probably something like this:
        Martz Farm Treehouses and Cabanas Ltd., Cayo Picture: giant grasshopper - Check out TripAdvisor members' 2,908 candid photos and videos.

Comment

Or maybe one of these .....
          Last edited by Red_Kitty; November 13, 2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	1221086
            Originally posted by pdub View Post
            That's it, it's over, I'm done. I've never been scared in the car, not on road courses, not at land speed. Never been scared. Never scared myself.

I asked Stude directly at the track, please make this video for me, I've never seen Red go by. It's been over a month......I finally really watched it. That's scary as hell. The look through the windshield is one thing, fearless. Seeing what's actually happening is another thing. That's too damned fast. I hate I saw that but I'm glad I did.

I'm done. No more for me. 152 is fast enough. Not a whole lot of folks have done that. I'm officially scared. Permanently. If only I had not seen that view. Thank you Stude. You probably saved my life. And you saw me make my last run. You were there.

For Sale:

Pair of ACME brand JATO rockets, formerly owned by Wile E. Coyote.

Originally purchased for spring 2019 project, but now surplus to requirements.

Includes custom mounting brackets for 2005-9 Mustang.

No low-ballers! I know what I got!
            Last edited by Red_Kitty; November 14, 2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I don't know which set of wheels to sell. How about neither? We've got enough rubber to last a loooooooooong time.

It's actually a relief. Mind made up. Settle down, relax. Stude didn't realize what he was actually doing when he nearly aimed that camera at the track. But I saw it. That's too fast. Fast enough, thank you. I did it, that's done.
              Last edited by pdub; November 13, 2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

undone by a bug. whoa. before you completely hang it up, how about autocross? if you hit 45 mph, you'll be running over cones.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  undone by a bug. whoa. before you completely hang it up, how about autocross? if you hit 45 mph, you'll be running over cones.
                  I run over cones at 10 mph. It's drastically slow drama. And it makes the guys with radios pretty mad when I keep doing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Comment

Sounds like you are ready to join us on Power Tour. Then you can clean normal-size bugs off every night.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      Sounds like you are ready to join us on Power Tour. Then you can clean normal-size bugs off every night.
                      We Wees gotten a lot of polite pressure from peers over the years to do that. We don't have the right car and we're probably not the right people. We couldn't even hang with Cars and Cones for but three days. We went scampering back home. That's just not "us," somehow. We are the exception to the rule.

Comment

.....and non-competitive autocross and drag racing. I raced a dune buggy in Atlanta this year, and an Olds wagon at Beech Bend.
                        Last edited by Red_Kitty; November 13, 2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Andy, watching your video, seeing that speedo wind up to 178 mph. More, more more. I'd never seen it from the ground until I watched that video Stude made for me. That's fast. Scary fast. I'm satisfied. Complete. My work here (at the track) is done. Smiles. I got away with it. And survived.

You'll have a blast meeting Dan Stokes at the track in the spring. You two remind me of one another. You'll get along grand. But he talks more like America, the accent, or lack of it. He's the one with the sort of blue and black S10 pickup truck on a trailer. Big Truck painted the same. Dan also ran Truck (the big truck) in Ohio. After he cleaned out the interior. But that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I run over cones at 10 mph. It's drastically slow drama. And it makes the guys with radios pretty mad when I keep doing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over
                            you're retired at an age where you can enjoy retirement - you're going to irritate them even standing on the sidelines.... do it, we can see Red at the Optima challenge next year at SEMA.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'd love to do a Manx buggy ....

Comment

Working...
                              X