Greatest Phone Call Ever - Grand Plans for April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Phone Call Ever - Grand Plans for April

Tonight my Fred Flintstone phone rang. Big Dave. No, it was Big Dave AND Perry, down in Covington LA working on Dave's vacuum-powered headlights.

Whatta treat, so unexpected. We laughed breathless over and over, my phone battery died down before it was over. Dave knew Neil Bonnett, personally. All the stories......

But we came up with a composite plan. Some weekend in April. Drag racing in Commerce GA. Red versus Inferno Camaro. Inferno will win, Perry has years of drag racing experience. From there, about an hour and a half to Dawsonville. They have a big time go kart track there. I said, Perry, I weigh 130 pounds. I will kick your ASS on that go kart track. Beer, bed, leave from Dawsonville. We have a plan. A great one.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Sounds like fun! If you want to win I'll bring Mutt - he's no good at all on a drag strip. And I get queezy on a go kart track so I'm screwed there, too. Sounds like you guys will have a blast either way.

Dan

Comment

Sounds like fun, if you want a chance at winning get a pair of bias ply slicks for the back. Red needs the correct shoes to run his best.

You would not wear wingtips to run the 50 yard dash would you?
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

And just like that PeeWee is racing again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forrest-Gump-GQ-19May16_b.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1221588
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          And just like that PeeWee is racing again.

Name:	Forrest-Gump-GQ-19May16_b.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1221588
          Your insight precedes you.

Comment

Name:	smell_of_napalm_in_the_morning.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1221595

Comment

I smell burning wires on that PA system when it starts raining....

Comment

I'm kinda laughing at all this PA stuff, like you guys came up with a new idea. We had a homemade set-up at Maxton, that Joe Timney (Chief Timer) would call from the tower, to speakers in front of the stands at the timing trap and also at the starting line. Dan Stokes could tell you about it, which was battery powered.

Comment

All well and good, but right now there is nothing. And I don't understand why not. I've got the stuff. If I have to take it and ask them on that morning, where do you want this stuff set up, we'll do that too.
                  Last edited by pdub; November 17, 2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Cool beans, I wish you well. Joe got rid of the CB radio based PA system thing he put together when they moved to Ohio and developed the FM broadcast system, which was better and reached more spectators and racers.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                      Cool beans, I wish you well. Joe got rid of the CB radio based PA system thing he put together when they moved to Ohio and developed the FM broadcast system, which was better and reached more spectators and racers.
                      And I nearly lied, they DO have a little boom box set up at the registration trailer that you can hear from about 20 feet away. That's the only part of the broadcast that I could ever hear when I was standing there picking up a time slip. That broadcast is critical, vital. I just want to set up a repeater for it. Which may in fact cause other problems that I can't think of, like delay, if folks are trying to listen to it on a radio and then the PA audio gets to them with a natural delay.

Comment

When I set mine up I simply put a mic in front of a small speaker with Joe's broadcast (Joe Timney was manning the mic at that time) and amplified the output to the stands. If you set up a radio at the start line (or wherever you're going to put the PA) you could easily replicate the set-up I used. It worked well, just that there was almost no one to listen to it (the ol' tree falling in the forest (Forrest?) thing).

I could bring my PA for one location and you could bring yours for the other (say, start line and finish line), add couple of radios (assuming adequate signal strength), and VIOLA! I don't have a generator so we'd have to dig up something for that.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          When I set mine up I simply put a mic in front of a small speaker with Joe's broadcast (Joe Timney was manning the mic at that time) and amplified the output to the stands. If you set up a radio at the start line (or wherever you're going to put the PA) you could easily replicate the set-up I used. It worked well, just that there was almost no one to listen to it (the ol' tree falling in the forest (Forrest?) thing).

I could bring my PA for one location and you could bring yours for the other (say, start line and finish line), add couple of radios (assuming adequate signal strength), and VIOLA! I don't have a generator so we'd have to dig up something for that.

Dan
                          I didn't notice if they have a generator at the start line. something is powering that big LED speed readout panel that works about half the time. They've got beacoup power in the tower and at the registration trailer...... and you're a genius again, Just set up a boom box and stick a mic in front of the speaker and voila. This time it's not about sound quality but all about content.

I'll contact CJ when the time is right. They are VERY hard folks to get in touch with, they have way too much fun. Racing somewhere on the whole earth (as in, continents) nearly all the time.

Comment

Dan, I've got two PA systems, complete. I've got a 200 watt powered board and and 50 watt one. I've got 15-inch mains and I've got 12-inch mains. We'll likely need a generator for the one at the start line, I'll work on that. We can point all of the cabinets AWAY, toward town, so Steve can hear himself think at the start line and so Ron can hear himself talk in the tower. And use a channel on each one to mic the start line and the finish line, amplify the sound on the ground.

We STILL don't have permission to do this yet but what a thought process.

Comment

Working...
                            X