Discovery Rebrands Velocity as Motor Trend Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery Rebrands Velocity as Motor Trend Network

Tomorrow, Velocity channel becomes Motor Trend Channel. More than likely, most of us watch some of these shows, which ones do you like and why?

I don't care for fake drama or grab-assing, which really detracts from otherwise good shows technically. I like "Overhaulin'", because Foose is the man. "Chasing Classic Cars" is a refreshing formula to the normal shows, as is "What's In The Barn?" and "How It's Made: Dream Cars". "Legendary Motorcars" is good too.

"FantomWorks" is about the best all-round mellow show. Also like "Graveyard Carz", a bit jokey but lots of good tips and information in between the horsing around, but I've got to admit I like that to. Mark is a funny dude and knows his stuff. Then Joe and the boys (and Amanda) in "Iron Resurrection", a good all around show for metal fabrication & paint and I really like the friendly fun work atmosphere they present.

Can't really have a proper discussion on this topic without a list of the shows;

ORIGINAL
    All Girls Garage
    American Icon: Muscle Car
    Barrett-Jackson Live
    Bithcin' Rides
    Biggest And Baddest
    Cafe Racer
    Car Fix
    Chasing Classic Cars
    Dallas Car Sharks
    FantomWorks
    Inside West Coast Customs
    Iron Resurection
    Junkyard Empire
    Kings of Crash
    Miracle Ball
    Motorhead Garage
    One of a Kind
    Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans
    RMD Garage
    Saw Dogs
    South Beach Classics
    Speed Is The New Black
    Turn n' Burn
    Unique Rides
    What's In The Barn?
    What's My Car Worth?
    Wheels That Fail Tech Toys 360

ACQUIRED
    All Star Dealers
    American Hot Rod
    Car Crazy
    Desert Car Kings
    Destroyed in Seconds
    Eurosport on Velocity
    Fat and Furious
    Fifth Gear
    Get Out Alive
    Graveyard Carz
    HowStuffWorks
    I Could Do That!
    Kidnap & Rescue
    MotorWeek
    Nature's Deadliest
    Overhaulin'
    Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars
    Stacey David's GearZ
    Some Assembly Required
    The Detonators
    Wheeler Dealers
    Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up
    World's Most Expensive Rides
    How It's Made: Dream Cars

UPCOMING
    The Auto Firm with Alex Vega
    West Coast Customs

* All Girls Garage
    * Barrett-Jackson Live
    * Bithcin' Rides
    * FantomWorks
    * Motorhead Garage
    * What's My Car Worth?
    * Graveyard Carz
    * HowStuffWorks
    * MotorWeek
    * Overhaulin'
    * Wheeler Dealers

Those are the ones I watch when they're on and I'm in front of it. I watched a bunch of episodes of Fantom Works until Super Buick Guy pointed out how much that guy complains. He complains every breath. I didn't realize that until I started to watch another episode.....he does. He whines worse than any schoolgirl ever has. No more Fantom Works for me.
    Last edited by pdub; November 22, 2018, 11:11 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

they announced this at SEMA. meh, before Velocity it was Discovery and after MTN it will be something else.

it's funny you claim Fantomworks isn't drama. It's all drama, all the time "OMG, ICANTBELIEVETHATCANBEFIXED"
      If I ever took a car to a shop that bitched as much as them, I'd go somewhere else....

and the proof (and just one example).. They did a C3 Corvette and put a sharkbite suspension under it. Oh good lord, you'd think that only they could have ever installed that... well, okay, if you had that much trouble then perhaps you should hire my neighbor, Regis, to who is a total amateur (and doing a really cool C3). He put the sharkbite system in without help, phone calls, or even any complaint. He even went with an upgrade to a different control arm (had me weld a bit he made for it).... I was impressed with the fit, finish and function of the system. fake drama - thus it's not Fantomworks it's the Bitch and Moan show.... and to me, they are the height of drama.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I watch Motor Trend on my phone. Paid for app..
        Will that change?
        I will be piithed if it goes bye.

Comment

oh and one other things.

MTD has been advertising on Velocity with Dave Kindig leading off with these immortal (or immoral words) "I read Motor Trend when I was 10 years old." Yeah, buellschmidt. You read Playboy like every other guy, saw that chicks dig hot rods and dove it. Nobody told you then that the hot rod the chick was digging was not motorized.... err... had no tires.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            they announced this at SEMA. meh, before Velocity it was Discovery and after MTN it will be something else.
            it's funny you claim Fantomworks isn't drama. It's all drama, all the time "OMG, ICANTBELIEVETHATCANBEFIXED"
            If I ever took a car to a shop that bitched as much as them, I'd go somewhere else....
            and the proof (and just one example).. They did a C3 Corvette and put a sharkbite suspension under it. Oh good lord, you'd think that only they could have ever installed that... well, okay, if you had that much trouble then perhaps you should hire my neighbor, Regis, to who is a total amateur (and doing a really cool C3). He put the sharkbite system in without help, phone calls, or even any complaint. He even went with an upgrade to a different control arm (had me weld a bit he made for it).... I was impressed with the fit, finish and function of the system. fake drama - thus it's not Fantomworks it's the Bitch and Moan show.... and to me, they are the height of drama.
            Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            oh and one other things.
            MTD has been advertising on Velocity with Dave Kindig leading off with these immortal (or immoral words) "I read Motor Trend when I was 10 years old." Yeah, buellschmidt. You read Playboy like every other guy, saw that chicks dig hot rods and dove it. Nobody told you then that the hot rod the chick was digging was not motorized.... err... had no tires.
            Hmmmm ... I'm sensing a little anxiety here.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Hmmmm ... I'm sensing a little anxiety here.
              Perfectly normal from a litigator.... no worries......
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We still don't get that channel. (no satellite or cable).

and I let the MTOD subscription lapse. My wife might renew it, but she's better at watching TV than I am.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As of yesterday it's still branded Velocity on our cable (Spectrum, the old Time Warner). And so far the line up continues. I'll be good if they get rid of Barrett-Jackson and What's My Car Worth - too much focus on $$ and too little on the cars and what it takes to make them that way. But that's just me - not much interested in the money.

I agree that there's WAY too much drama. Maybe that's what sells but I think it may lead semi-car folks (those with enough interest to watch but not enough to DO any of the things on the show) into thinking that's what generally goes on in shops around the country. Not denying that there may be a bit of that from time to time but it if it was the main thing nothing would get done and the shops would go out of business. From what I've read, the Ring Bros and Troy Trepanier both run smooth, low-hassle shops but I'm thinking the network execs don't think that would be "good TV". Lots of shouting, wrench throwing, and fake deadlines seem to be the general order of the day.

EDIT: Let me add McCartney Paint & Customs as a great possible show. Those guys are excellent and SO inventive - as well as great Bangshifters!

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; November 24, 2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

The Producers are responsible for most of the crap on the show that most of us hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

The Producers are responsible for most of the crap on the show that most of us hate.
                      I'm pretty sure that those responsible aren't car people and therefore think they they NEED wrench-tossing to interest anyone in tuning in. The concept that there is a core viewership that actually is interested in how to solve this or that problem is beyond them as it isn't their area of interest. Sadly, if the on-air staff is going to get any work they have to present in that manner or they won't get a show. I think a lot of the on-air folks (Bruno, Bruab, others) really are car people but that's not the game you have to play.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I'm pretty sure that those responsible aren't car people and therefore think they they NEED wrench-tossing to interest anyone in tuning in. The concept that there is a core viewership that actually is interested in how to solve this or that problem is beyond them as it isn't their area of interest. Sadly, if the on-air staff is going to get any work they have to present in that manner or they won't get a show. I think a lot of the on-air folks (Bruno, Bruab, others) really are car people but that's not the game you have to play.

Dan
                        In my own little opinion, press and hold rewind for a few years and then let it play. It was "Deadliest Catch" that started it. Holy crap that show was popular in a hurry. Everybody else had to suddenly "catch" up. And now there are layers and layers of reality topics on top of each other and the car scene got sucked into it. That's my theory and I believe it's true, whether anybody else thinks so or not.
                        Last edited by pdub; November 24, 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Pdub - I think you definitely have a point. It all ties in to the idea that drama sells. Of course, nobody tried "not drama" so there's no comparisons, just a belief that drama is how you do it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Pdub - I think you definitely have a point. It all ties in to the idea that drama sells. Of course, nobody tried "not drama" so there's no comparisons, just a belief that drama is how you do it.

Dan
                            The folks who produce those shows are using numbers. Being Hollywood, they were raised on drama so they assume we all are that way. I'd rather see an instructional video on how to replace that starter. As far as time spent watching goes, that's far more valuable to me. Hence, YouTube videos made with a shaky camera. I wish I had filmed every mistake I ever made in the garage, but it would have taken three hands.

When we got the Quick Jack thing. There are dozens of videos out there that show how they put it together in real time. And they are all different. I took some tips from this one and that other one, I was at least "prepared" when the boxes got here. But nobody ever indicated how much 100 pounds weighs, they made no mention of it. Because they were all young bucks making those videos. Weight? WHAT weight? Just put the platform under the car, no problem.

Comment

In a few years they'll change the name yet again. Think this has more to do with getting back to the table with cable companies. on contracts than anything else.
                              Should've named it road kill.

Crystal ball see's car and driver as the name by 2021
                              Last edited by Eric; November 24, 2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X