No announcement yet.

Discovery Rebrands Velocity as Motor Trend Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently watch 4 shows out of that long list. There are too many "car shows for people who don't know much about cars". It's sad that this always seems to happen. I remember when Speedvision first hit the scene, it was for serious gearheads and the first few years it was really cool. Then FOX took over and proceeded to ruin it, and finally killing it off. Now the same thing is going to happen to Velocity.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Reading through the comments had me thinking about Monster Garage, Monster House, and a few others with seemingly manufactured deadlines. Having been in either auto repair or construction for the entirety of my adult life, I don't want a house or car that was built in a week. I don't care for the deadline drama in real life and I damn sure don't need it during my entertainment time.

Then there's the bad info from the experts. While surfing through the channels last weekend I came across Motorweek on PBS. The tech guy was talking about disc brakes and the issues of moisture and time. He instructed the viewers that they should have the bleeder screws on their brake calipers lubricated at least once a year so they don't seize and break. I can just see the expression on a service writers' face when the customer asks for that service.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

All those shows. It comes down to either the people are just doing stuff to fit their opinion of what is an improvement or dictating what is or isn't an improvement. They challenge and aggravate me at first. "Just who the HELL do they think they are?". Then I see them do a couple of intensely personal builds that just fall flat. From that point on it is "If he can get a customer to lay out cold hard cash for THAT, more power to him.". Counting Cars is one of the funniest shows on TV, but how their cars look at the unveils isn't everything. Other people restore MoPars every day without consulting with Graveyard Cars. The Street Outlaws lose a LOT of races. Gas Monkey Garage would be bankrupt without TV checks. AND if I want pure Drama designed for a male mentality I watch WWE.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I. Told. You. So. . . . Way back when Discovery bought the electronic side of TEN. . . .

To paraphrase Carroll Shelby " If the programs are bad, the name won't help. And if the programs are good, the name won't matter."

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
            I don't want a house or car that was built in a week. I don't care for the deadline drama in real life and I damn sure don't need it during my entertainment time.
            What they really need is a real-life program about a bunch of non-running cars and trucks than never get finished, built on occasion by no-dough dudes who mostly just sit around bench racing and getting nothing done . . Call it the Imaginary Hot Rod Association or maybe "Bangshift TV" . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              I . I remember when Speedvision first hit the scene, it was for serious gearheads and the first few years it was really cool. Then FOX took over.
              Yup.

I miss "Lost Drive-in" . . . It was about the only time some of the older, more obscure gearhead movies got any airplay anymore . . . . I suppose all that old B-movie crap is on YouTube or Amazon something, but it's just not the same . . . .

Comment

I watched one episode of Junkyard Empire and wanted to pick my eyes out with a No.2 pencil.

Seems 90% of the shows contain: A. stupid people, B. stupid personalities, C. stupid hair (facial or otherwise), or D. All of the above.

Just can't stomach most of it.
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

What they really need is a real-life program about a bunch of non-running cars and trucks than never get finished, built on occasion by no-dough dudes who mostly just sit around bench racing and getting nothing done . . Call it the Imaginary Hot Rod Association or maybe "Bangshift TV" . . . .
                  Never get done?

and that's just the last 4 years.... what have you gotten finished?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

of course, there's ones like this - that while not done - is likely more then you've ever done in your life.....

how's that for screw-you?

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                      Seems 90% of the shows contain: A. stupid people, B. stupid personalities, C. stupid hair (facial or otherwise), or D. All of the above.
                      Silly me! And I thought that's why so many folks worshiped the famous ROADKILLers . . . . Well, that and the CAMO SHORTS!

Seriously, though "IHRA" will only feature old fat guys without beards, tats, or flat-brims . . . .

Comment

I though he was talking about himself, not you or me.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          how's that for screw-you?
                          No "IHRA" screen test for you! We only want typical real-world dudes who never get squat done . . . .

Maybe you can call in on the “Wild Card” line . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I though he was talking about himself, not you or me.
                            Absolutely correct. . . . Too much accomplishment. . . . . Too much dough . . . Not enough outside distractions . . . .

But we'll have a big poster of Squirrel in the background of the "IHRA" bench race set as emblematic of the gearhead ideal (If the licencing rights are not more than $1.95 and a brace of Sizzler coupons, that is . . . . )
                            FROM U.S.D.A. CHOICE STEAKS CUT FRESH IN-HOUSE EVERY DAY, TO SEAFOOD, FRESH SALADS AND SOUPS – ALL PREPARED FRESH IN REAL KITCHENS – SIZZLER® IS THE PLACE FOR GREAT FOOD AND VALUE.

Comment

BTW, we will try to pay Squirrel's licensing fee with a genuine, H.A.M.B.-approved, pre-1971 United States note and wheat pennies instead of a Federal Reserve note (assumes we can find one stashed in the holey sock drawer . . . . )

Comment

oh and this guy... how dare he opine on anything metal

oh wait...
                                how about
                                this guy - total complete knob.... how dare he talk....

I mean really - Fords?

The Auburn guy must be the guy you're talking about.... oh wait.

Maybe it's that total noob who bought himself some hp and bolted more on himself. Even he doesn't realize the epicness of what he did....

Quite frankly I think you need to take your crap and haul it somewhere else - because the people around here are nothing like what you just described....

Comment

Working...
                                X