The Things I Have Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Things I Have Learned

It's only now starting to soak in, as far as going fast. I think everybody should drive on a road course at least once. It's driver education. It will actually make you think different on the highway, even when you're behaving. You haven't lived until you're going 110 MPH and there's some jerk in a yellow Corvette on your bumper wanting by and there's a mighty sharp curve coming up immediately.

As dangerous as the highway is, and I think the highway is more dangerous than a race track, given the talent difference amongst drivers on the highway.....a road course is a great investment. It's something you can take "down the road" with you.

Top end.....land speed. I'm happy. That's it, I'm done. I'm done and I'm happy. Been there, done that. NOW I've been fast enough, finally. Folks chase that dog, there is no end to it once you get hooked and it IS addictive. I've got a video from inside the car where Red went 152.8 MPH, the fastest I've ever been. The fastest I'll ever go. With a healthy tailwind of course. And I screwed around a the start line, spinning the tires and getting half sideways in second gear. That didn't matter much. I made a similar mistake in Ohio running Bluebelle, hit the rev limiter in first gear. It amounted to about a tenth of a MPH on the big end after I tried it again.

I still can't thank Stude enough for being there in Arkansas and being willing to run the camera, that's what I asked him to do - video Red going by. Here's another one he took, I guess sitting in his truck because Ron's broadcast is going on. I don't need to do that again, I'm fulfilled. Thank you Stude!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

man, that is SERIOUSLY hauling @ss... went by so fast i almost missed it.
    so awesome........

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
      so awesome........
      That's what scared me forever, that view. It doesn't look like much through the windshield. Mashing the gas, more more more, PLEASE go faster. It looks different from the ground, watching it go by.

Yep, I'm done. Got away with it.

Comment

I enjoy watching you do well, pdub. Looking forward to picking guitars again.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
          I enjoy watching you do well, pdub. Looking forward to picking guitars again.
          Thanks Ron and we will. Please call me when you get a chance. Like today or sometime, lots of questions for you.

Comment

I'm quite certain you know more than me.
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I'm quite certain you know more than me.
              No, I have questions. Please call me.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                so awesome........
                150 ain't shit. 200 is the deal. Those big guys go 200+ over and over, all day. That's what the game is about. Everybody (else) is there to go 200. 150 was my goal, and I made it, and that was not easy to do.

Comment

It was nice chatting with ya.

Comment

Thanks for the call Ron! Seeya there next year.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

150 ain't shit. 200 is the deal. Those big guys go 200+ over and over, all day. That's what the game is about. Everybody (else) is there to go 200. 150 was my goal, and I made it, and that was not easy to do.
                      Nope, not everybody. I'm happy for me and Mutt to do better than we did at the last meet, whatever that is. I'll never have a 2-Club hat unless they give me one like a "Lifetime Achievement" award like the Oscars give when you're old as Hell - not likely. And I'm OK with that.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Nope, not everybody. I'm happy for me and Mutt to do better than we did at the last meet, whatever that is. I'll never have a 2-Club hat unless they give me one like a "Lifetime Achievement" award like the Oscars give when you're old as Hell - not likely. And I'm OK with that.

Dan
                        Yes Dan I mis-spoke for everybody involved, I simply wasn't thinking. The whole sport is a complete cross section of goals and interests. And will Eric ever get to 125 on that little motorcycle? By now he could have gotten 20 other motorcycles. But he wants to go 125 on THAT one. It ain't gonna happen, but he keeps on trying and tinkering and believing. What a nice guy and a fun guy to talk with.
                        Last edited by pdub; November 25, 2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you Ron. WIN! A big one. I talked with Mike per your reference, yeah we're IN. Cool beans, fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            It's only now starting to soak in, as far as going fast. I think everybody should drive on a road course at least once. It's driver education. It will actually make you think different on the highway, even when you're behaving. You haven't lived until you're going 110 MPH and there's some jerk in a yellow Corvette on your bumper wanting by and there's a mighty sharp curve coming up immediately.

As dangerous as the highway is, and I think the highway is more dangerous than a race track, given the talent difference amongst drivers on the highway.....a road course is a great investment. It's something you can take "down the road" with you.

Top end.....land speed. I'm happy. That's it, I'm done. I'm done and I'm happy. Been there, done that. NOW I've been fast enough, finally. Folks chase that dog, there is no end to it once you get hooked and it IS addictive. I've got a video from inside the car where Red went 152.8 MPH, the fastest I've ever been. The fastest I'll ever go. With a healthy tailwind of course. And I screwed around a the start line, spinning the tires and getting half sideways in second gear. That didn't matter much. I made a similar mistake in Ohio running Bluebelle, hit the rev limiter in first gear. It amounted to about a tenth of a MPH on the big end after I tried it again.

I still can't thank Stude enough for being there in Arkansas and being willing to run the camera, that's what I asked him to do - video Red going by. Here's another one he took, I guess sitting in his truck because Ron's broadcast is going on. I don't need to do that again, I'm fulfilled. Thank you Stude!
                            I've been 500mph+ fastest I've ever been,
                            Does an airplane count.
                            150+ seems fast in a vehicle.
                            Do they have many places in the USA to go that fast.?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

I've been 500mph+ fastest I've ever been,
                              Does an airplane count.
                              150+ seems fast in a vehicle.
                              Do they have many places in the USA to go that fast.?
                              Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X