The 35 year Gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hei2014 Acura TL for the wife .
    2004 Trailblazer thorn in my flesh that I'm going to get rid of and get a big old truck that I know how to work on and can actually pull a load .
    1995 vette that has a glitch in the computer and no one seems to have a fix for and don't mind charging good money even though they told me they can fix it . Its going to get an after market efi or a carb and a hei by spring
    1987 S10 pick up with a 350 and a 5 speed .Going to get sold when done as I never planned to keep it as it was just a way to get rid of all the parts I had in the garage without taking pennies on the dollar . Unfortunately i'll be getting pennies on the hour labor wise .
    1985 vette that belongs to the last kid in the house . Finishing up the engine swap hopefully tomorrow . I will keep the wife in a newish used car but as for me , I'm going to carbs or something that can be converted to a carb that doesn't has a computerized trans . I'm done with trying To fix technology laden vehicles .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I only have a 9 year spread.
      57 Ford Ranch Wagon
      66 Ford F250
      66 Ford Fairlane

Comment

No love for the 80's. I really like my 87/89 mustang. Our drivers are from 2001-2007 right now. I like to buy drivers on the 9-15ish year old range. If you look around you can get a nice car cheap
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Ironic, because my Taco is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned ... since 2005, with 77,000 miles put on it and basically, I just keep it fed with 87-octane and it goes. The dependability of the 2.7L inline four 3RZ-FE is amazing. I only change the oil every 15,000 miles and transmission fluid every 50,000. Oh, and I bang debris from the K&N air filter whenever I'm under the hood and think about it.
          the worst thing I did was go from an 89 xtra cab 4x4 to the 99. The 89 was a truck, the 99 a Camry with a pickup box. Outside of its inability to haul 2 dirtbikes without being on the bumpstops, the 4 cyl was utterly torqueless. Add to all of that it was a Toyota buyback (so it wouldn't be lemon law'd) and a front end vibration that they could/would not fix (which Toyota conveniently forgot to mention).... it's only good thing was I actually sold it (what a sucker) for more then I paid for it and my parents still own its replacement - a 93 Chev 4x4 extra cab (that got better mileage and is a full size). The Toyota, when sold, had 35,000 miles.... the Chevy truck is somewhere around 400,000 miles now... yeah, tell me about Toyota quality.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 30, 2018, 09:34 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            yeah, tell me about Toyota quality.
            I'm not going to debate your own experience with you ... that would just be ludicrous. I am only able to relate mine. The 2.7L four-banger in my truck tows, launches and recovers an 18' boat on the ramp just fine and I've towed a canoe trailer with 8 canoes loaded, down a soft dirt road, no problemo ... perhaps having a PreRunner Double Cab model is the difference. I don't ask it to tow a fully enclosed, double-axle trailer with two cars loaded in it or anything else that is beyond its capabilities though.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I'm not going to debate your own experience with you ... that would just be ludicrous. I am only able to relate mine. The 2.7L four-banger in my truck tows, launches and recovers an 18' boat on the ramp just fine and I've towed a canoe trailer with 8 canoes loaded, down a soft dirt road, no problemo ... perhaps having a PreRunner Double Cab model is the difference. I don't ask it to tow a fully enclosed, double-axle trailer with two cars loaded in it or anything else that is beyond its capabilities though.
              The Tacoma's problem (other then the concealed lemon) was the best truck I ever owned was that 89 that had 386,000 miles when I sold it. every time I got in that Tacoma, I was reminded that Tacoma was just like Tacoma Washington - looks great in pictures but stinks in real life.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Not quite a 35yr spread but within rounding error

1964 Riviera (though it's got an engine from the late 80's and electronics from the late 90's)
                1998 Suburban K2500
                2012 Genesis sedan

Really like all of my vehicles though I'd not really replace any of the new ones with something older, though I do keep having that hankering for a Cressida wagon which tops out at 89. Along the way I've had a 70 Riviera, 65 Riviera GS, and a 67 Skylark as well as a 97 Regal GS, 03 Lincoln LS, 99 Silverado, and a 08 Saab 95 Aero. Of the new stuff, just the Saab had any sort of real unreliability to it. Pretty much it was just time for something different or to consolidate when we moved. The old stuff did have some major issues, well the Skylark just wasn't a Riviera so I decided to sell it to buy my current '64.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                X