Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America" - 1964 crash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America" - 1964 crash!

I've just uploaded some film on Youtube of Craig Breedlove's spectacular crash at Bonneville on Oct. 15, 1964. That was when he careened off the end of the course in his "Spirit of America" jet car after losing both his chutes and his brakes--and his steering, which broke when he was going into the mile. Included is the actual footage shot by the jet car's on-board camera. The camera was torn off in the crash into the brine pond but a diver managed to retrieve it.

One thing that's kind of confusing about Craig's crash: the brine pond where he ended up was not much more than ankle-deep. Unseen under the surface, however, was a very deep trench. "Spirit" careened across the thin sheet of water and plunked nose-first down into this trench. This is how Craig almost drowned in what seemed such shallow water. Anyway, here's the video!

(posted by Samuel Hawley, author of Ultimate Speed: The Fast Life and Extreme Cars of Racing Legend Craig Breedlove)

Amazing! Just amazing. Not knowing anything, I don't understand why they didn't put some real brakes on that ride, it would only add about 100 pounds. But I like brakes a whole lot, so I'm biased.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

When Craig built his new and even more powerful "Spirit of America" jet car for 1965, super-strong brakes were in fact one of his first concerns. He never wanted to be without stopping power again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hawley View Post
        When Craig built his new and even more powerful "Spirit of America" jet car for 1965, super-strong brakes were in fact one of his first concerns. He never wanted to be without stopping power again!
        I ran my ride on a lot of road courses a lot of times, I love brakes.

Thanks for the great post, much enjoyed at my house!

Comment

Not knowing anything, I don't understand why they didn't put some real brakes on that ride, it would only add about 100 pounds.
          Because the salt of Bonneville is kind of greasy, or like packed snow - brakes on a vehicle going 600MPH is kind of useless and stupid. Also, at those speeds - quick or strong braking upsets the car - moving the polar moment of inertia forward of the center of mass. It makes cars go backwards, upside down, or sideways. In other words - out of control. That is why parachutes are required - the open chute puts a large amount of drag behind the car and moves the center of pressure backwards, which stabilizes it - like a weight hanging from a string.

Also, Bonneville tires are very smooth and pumped up to much higher air pressures than Red's tires. The contact patch is very small. Think O-rings on the rims.

The old salt dogs pretty much only use brakes when moving the car off and on the trailer, or in the pits.

Now, if you really want to fry your brain, Peewee - check this... Most of the streamliners on the salt have less than a degree of steering input. Plenty for a car at speed, not enough to destabilize the car. Won't help you park, however - which is why so many of the liners on the salt are hauled on trailers or towed.

There's a big difference between a street car like Red, and honest to God single use land speed stuff. That's why I keep after you to go. It's a learning experience that would benefit you.
          Last edited by studemax; December 2, 2018, 02:29 PM.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

It's a learning experience that would benefit you.
            Yeah, I'm a wealth of no knowledge. But to me, now, fast is fast. I've been 150+, that's fast. What's the point in going 500+ when....well, I don't get it. If crazy speed is a drug, I'm not addicted. I'm not at all against it of course, but I'm not addicted. Fast is fast and dead is dead. And money......every MPH costs more money, exponentially. I played the game and I'm completely ready to watch some other folks do it and I'll enjoy it.

I thought I'd never be a spectator, but yeah, been there done that. I'm ready to be there and cheer for Dan and Andy. Faster, faster, faster!

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

Because the salt of Bonneville is kind of greasy, or like packed snow - brakes on a vehicle going 600MPH is kind of useless and stupid. Also, at those speeds - quick or strong braking upsets the car - moving the polar moment of inertia forward of the center of mass. It makes cars go backwards, upside down, or sideways. In other words - out of control.
              Breedlove of course intended the brakes for the latter part of the slowing cycle, after the chutes had brought him down below 150 mph at so. He had no choice but to try them that day in 1964, even though he was going 500+, because his chutes--main and backup both--had torn away. He eased down ever-so-slightly on the brake pedal and it right right to the floor, the brake pads burned up to ashes.

As an interesting aside, Craig's original Spirit of America jet car in 1962 did not have a steerable front wheel. It used the brakes for steering at lower speeds (on the right or left rear wheel), then the fin under the nose when the car got up to higher speeds. It was a disaster!

Comment

This is about the point that 'Propsterguy' would chime in with some inane wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  This is about the point that 'Propsterguy' would chime in with some inane wisdom.
                  Man, those chutes looked kind of sketchy on the down run . . . .

Thrust reverser. . . . . Better chute mounts . . . . Air brake . . . . Pop-out emergency wings (okay, that one's definitely "inane")

I've got to track down Hawley's book, Speed Duel: The Inside Story of the Land Speed Record in the Sixties

Comment

I read Sam's book back in the 90's. Definitely a MUST READ.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                    X